Are studios recording new cd's way too loud? I'm hearing clipping all over the place
Mar 25, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a turntable and buy used vinyl. Problem solved and you'll stick it to the man.

Used vinyl is cheap, 100% legal and the RIAA gets nothing.

Great sound and no compression, either.

Not necessarily, a lot of vinyls are being pressed with the same brickwalled masters going onto CD these days. Of course, the older stuff shouldn't have such problems.

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily, a lot of vinyls are being pressed with the same brickwalled masters going onto CD these days. Of course, the older stuff shouldn't have such problems.

he said vintage
wink.gif

honestly, the question I have:

would any modern (read: top 40/popular (read: crap
very_evil_smiley.gif
)) "musicians" be worth listening too, if their stuff wasn't so heavily compressed? most of them more or less just speak their lyrics (and make auto-tune fix it), and have average to below average musical talent (which is all enhanced by the magic of Logic or ProTools), in other words, the compressed/fake sound is "part of their sound", do you think modern kinder-tots would even buy the stuff if it was mastered with even twice the dynamics and half of the digital correction?

Mar 25, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #18 of 22
They sure are!
...and most of us can't stand it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 25, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a turntable and buy used vinyl. Problem solved and you'll stick it to the man.

Used vinyl is cheap, 100% legal and the RIAA gets nothing.

Great sound and no compression, either.

debatable about 'great sound'. I can't stand clicks, pops and surface noise, not to mention the channel limits of the lp media.

but true, the riaa gets nothing from used media sales. I buy used cd's and rip myself. riaa gets nothing from me!

Mar 25, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #20 of 22
If music aint loud...people wont hear it on their ibuds in the crowd.

and majority is ibud listener..we are the minority when it comes to sales.

Mar 25, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
debatable about 'great sound'. I can't stand clicks, pops and surface noise, not to mention the channel limits of the lp media.

but true, the riaa gets nothing from used media sales. I buy used cd's and rip myself. riaa gets nothing from me!

Not necessarily. Surface noise depends on a number of factors. Clean records on a decent rig (including careful setup) reduce a lot of noise to barely more than a CD. You don't have to buy $50 180g audiophile pressings, either. I've gotten used records for a quarter that sound magnificient after a wash in the sink.

I completely agree with you about used CDs, too. I buy as many as possible. The local independent record shop has good deals, good taste and can use the business, too.

Another legal source of free music is FM. A good tuner with a good antenna is surprisingly good. You can DIY a good antenna, too, for like $10 and no real skills needed. Tuners don't have to be expensive, either. I got the Sony HD for about $50 with rebate and it's terrific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back