Are 'stats really that much better?
Dec 10, 2009 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Spasticteapot

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering buying some ESP950s locally, but am wondering if it's really going to be that much of an upgrade over my current DT880s. I'm not exactly a bass freak, but there's some sort of high-frequency resonance on my 880s which is driving me up the wall. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm interested in what experts have to say about this too. Obviously stats have a reputation of being generally better than dynamics, but I've yet to see any measurements that show them to be better in any objective way.

Compare the HD650 to the SRS-4040 for example. The 650 excels in every technical regard.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 15
I had the 4040 system, and still have the DT880's. For classical, I much preferred the 4040 system. The previously described edge in the treble, which is bothersome to some, did not bother me except on some bright recordings. The Stat sound can be described only if yo listen to it: so clear and transparent!
I now have the Sigma Pros and love their sound,even if the DT880's have more detail. My oldest son likes the DT880's over the 404's with Rock.
I don't care much for the HD650.
At the end, is really a matter of preference and YMMV.
My ears love the Stat sound.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #4 of 15
I haven't heard any Stax phones beside the Omega2 but they are by far my most favorite headphones, above the balanced HD600/650, K701, DX1000 and JH13.

Hard to describe the feeling but it's something belongs to magic
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in what experts have to say about this too. Obviously stats have a reputation of being generally better than dynamics, but I've yet to see any measurements that show them to be better in any objective way.

Compare the HD650 to the SRS-4040 for example. The 650 excels in every technical regard.

didn't realize 650 had such a clean waterfall plot and impulse response.
o2smile.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 15
Stats generally are better at detail/speed type things. Dynamics are more about warmth and timbre. Both are good for different things. Just preference.

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #9 of 15
This has been discussed before. Do a search, there have been many threads exactly like this one.

'Stats have an advantage in that the driver membrane is nearly weightless. Dynamics have a heavy voice coil hanging off the membrane to contend with and so far no one has made an ultralight voice coil or increased the motive force enough to close the gap. 'Stats do have better energy dissipation, and going by ear (and by common sense) have better impulse response, but I haven't seen any conclusive measurements that prove the latter (doesn't mean they don't exist though!). Dynamics have better excursion, however, which is why if you want comparable levels of bass slam out of a 'stat you will need a driver with a very large surface area and a very beefy amp behind it.

'Stats vary just as much as dynamics and it's pointless to generalize about their sound. I do however think they scale better when it comes to transparency, and all 'stats are uniformly fast. The very best 'stat systems have both transparency and impact and can tackle any music no matter how dense, whereas the very best of dynamic systems still buckle under pressure of very dense material and begin to lose definition and imaging, even if they can very easily keep up with 'stats on less dense and difficult material.

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The O2 and the KGSS is a nice combo. Better than any dynamic combo I have heard.

This really is a wonderful match, even the original KGSS, not enhanced. I was able to get each used at a good price, and the pairing is magical.

Dec 10, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The O2 and the KGSS is a nice combo. Better than any dynamic combo I have heard.

r10/b22 balanced combo killed KGSS/O2 combo in my setup, that is when i had them..

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #13 of 15
I just wish I jumped to stats earlier
biggrin.gif

But try one for yourself, a used ESP950 system would not be too expensive and should give you a good taste.

Dec 10, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjinh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just got a stax srs-2050 system on ebay for a nice price. I'm so excited.. cant wait to hear them!

I think I was bidding on the same item the other day. Good win! That auction went up in dollars fast in the last 15min or so...

Today another used STAX combo was listed on eBay which i purchased for the BUYITNOW price. I did not want to lose again! The combo was compromised of the older generation Nova Basic and SRD7SBMKII. I hope the sound quality is comparable even though the 202 is the newer version of the Nova Basic.

Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back