Jun 29, 2002 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Rumpole

New Head-Fier
Would you recommend Sony?

My fav at the moment: http://www.sonystyle.com.au/products...&prodid=DEJ955

smily_headphones1.gif

Next target: Ety-ER4s with amp

Jun 29, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 16
I just got the D-EJ925 & I'm very happy with it. It's extremely small & light, great remote, & anti-skip technology is terrific. We found the panasonic we had skipped while jogging, while the Sony doesn't. I think the sound is great, but while I was doing research on pcdp's, the input was mixed (a different headphone forum)--some liked it alot, some weren't thrilled with the sound & thought the old Sony's were better. Some are also of the opinion that the headphone out jack was weak, but I haven't found that at all--it does great with my Koss portapros. I also use the line out on the 925 with an airhead amp & it sounds terrific with my Senn 280 pros. I liked the 925 so much I bought another one for my wife one week later! Beware though, some audiophiles will disagree.

Jun 29, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #4 of 16
most ppl here will say that the phones out jack is weak, and if you want to use phones out, get a pana 570 or some of those rare older sonys. If your going to use an amp, line out on that 955 should be fine.

I suggest going for the amp first, then the pcdp. I am going to get my amp first, then maybe later this month get a sony d-ej1000.

btw: odd how in australia the 955 is significantly cheaper than the 1000. In canada, the 925 is the exact same price as the 1000 still.

Jun 29, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 16
jlo, if your willing to go with a refurbished unit, the 925 can be had for only $116 US online--I bought 2, & they work great--seem like new out of the sony box. Also they come with the same 90 day Sony warranty Sony puts on the normal sale units. I never went refurbished before, but seems like lots of people have had luck with them, esp when they come with the manufacturer's warranty.

Jun 29, 2002 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 16
I second jlo mein. The new Sony PCDPs, even the top model, suffer from weak and distorted headphone jack. You should get yourself a good headphone amp. Oh, you can pick up the V6 and that could solve the problem as well. Grado SR-80 is horrible with either EJ-01, EJ-925, and EJ-915.

Purk.

Jun 29, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 16
Oh, so now there is NO PCDP that has a powerful headphone-out jack! And increasingly new PCDPs have that crappy headphone-out jack as their only audio output! And the only major manufacturer of PCDPs still having a line-out jack - Sony - tends to skimp even more than most brands as far as headphone-out-jack electronics are concerned! (Like, the loudness is there, but the quality isn't!)

Moral: A pocket-sized headphone amp is a MUST with any of today's current-model-year PCDPs. Nope, you don't have to buy a $199 Headroom Total Airhead like I did - a $119 regular Airhead will do, but I bought the Total because I use primarily Etymotics with that amped portable rig.

Jun 30, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 16
Lemme guess: Eagle_Driver is the irritable mod, right?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 8:05 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
Lemme guess: Eagle_Driver is the irritable mod, right?
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL!! Don't say that too loudly, he'll have your ears for breakfast!!
wink.gif

Rumpole,

The V6 is a model of Headphone from Sony... I know that they still sell the MDR-7506 (professional version of the V6) in New Zealand, so - maybe they do in Oz too??

Jun 30, 2002 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 16
Hmm, the Sony D-EJ725's headphone jack sounds great to me, and does not lose face beside the Porta Corda. But then I'm using modded EX70s, so who knows...
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 30, 2002 at 2:07 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan

Rumpole,

The V6 is a model of Headphone from Sony... I know that they still sell the MDR-7506 (professional version of the V6) in New Zealand, so - maybe they do in Oz too??

Hmm...not sure about that model. Then again, I didn't go lower than the EX70
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks guys for all your inputs. I am much obliged. Anyway I managed to buy the E955 for $330 AUD (185 $US) brand new thanks to the end of financial year sale. That's $50 australian dollar cheaper than retail. So I'm happy!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #15 of 16
Rumple,
Congratulation on your purchased. Hopefully your D-E955 will sound as good as Duncan's D-EJ1000. According to Duncan, Sony MDR-V6 brings out the best in his discman.

Joe Bloggs,
I didn't get a chance to try out the 725, so I can't comment on that. The lineout should sound fine though.

Eagle,
I just said that the newer Sony is not as impressive (headphone out) as the older one. I've been through the top 3 Discmans (915, 925, ej-01), and all of thier headphone out didn't sound as good as my panasonic sl-S651c (top of the line 1996). Then again, the latest Pansonic I've tried of have is the Sl-SX500 (the one that Cmoy have). Both of the Panas were top of the line and they don't sound any where near my Sony D-E905....let alone my D-555. That just my opinion though. I've been through 30-45 MDs and Discmans combined. Hopefully, the newer Panas are still good.
biggrin.gif

P.S.:
The 925 is one beautiful machine, very well built indeed. I wish you guys can see my D-E905 up close. Do you agree Duncan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back