Are signatures out of control?
Aug 17, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #16 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has me looking at my signature. I’m thinking about shortening it. Although my signature isn’t endless bragging about my equipment choices, so I’m hoping that it’s not too annoying.

I'm not sure whether my signature qualifies as annoying or not, but--and I mean absolutely no offense by this--your sig does kind of annoy me. It's not very concise, you use bright contrasting colors, and it doesn't convey any vital information. The endless bragging is far less obnoxious than the visually obtrusive, IMO.

I like when others list their equipment in their sigs. To me it's like a placeholder for where one is in this hobby, a snapshot of what one currently likes and is familiar with. I like having that information right at hand.

One thing I don't like is that searches seem to search through sigs. That seems entirely pointless to me.

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #17 of 127
Doesn't bother me. Actually some of it puts me in awe and also desperately wanting to know that particular person's address so I know where to rob
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #18 of 127
I hope to God there's no mod intervention in this case. Like avatars, usernames and the like, it expresses individuality and restricting in some way is just plain
police.gif

If it bothers you so much, simply choose other smaller fonts (through FF/IE) and have it set to that for the time being.

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #19 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope to God there's no mod intervention in this case. Like avatars, usernames and the like, it expresses individuality and restricting in some way is just plain
police.gif

If it bothers you so much, simply choose other smaller fonts (through FF/IE) and have it set to that for the time being.

Sad thing is, even at the smallest font setting some sigs take up half my screen on my portable sized laptop. Restricting sigs to a reasonable size is not too demanding in my opinion.

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #20 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's get the moderators on this one too.

Of course, I agree with the entire premise and anything anyone wants to do to the signature feature is entirely OK with me. One suggestion would be to keep the signature elements in the profile and just one click it.

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #22 of 127
None of the options really fit to me. I, obviously, don't think that lists of equipment are irritating as long as they don't get out of hand. However, I do find needlessly long signatures irritating.

If you compare my signature to Yikes:
His is larger/longer
His uses a larger font
His uses more line breaks
His uses a bunch of colors
I learn absolutely nothing except for a little snippet about vibration control from reading his signature.

I don't mean this as a personal attack, but just want to point out that there are other things that can be found irritating in signatures. Also, I don't appreciate being called moronic in a roundabout way.
wink.gif

EDIT: There is no excuse for signatures like the one in the post directly above. Completely obnoxious formatting...

Aug 17, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #26 of 127
No, but I find this poll and the constant griping about it incredibly annoying.

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #28 of 127
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby
How to do it in 1/4 space?

Good:

[size=xx-small]Cans: Ultrasone Edition 9, YUIN PK1, HHF-1 Elite (Sold), Beyerdynamic DT-880 (sold to a mate, still around), Beyerdynamic DT-990 (sold), Eartools RP-21 (sold to the same mate). * Amp: Rudistor RPX-33, Xin SM IV (sold), Xin Reference (on order). * DAC: CIAudio VDA.1 and VAC.1, COEM MOdded Lite DAC-AH (sold). * Source: Black iMod 5.5G rockboxed (120GB HD as soon as it's available, soon), PC with Chaintech AV710, Cowon iAudio X5 60GB (sold), Cowon iAudio U3 2GB, Sony CDP-CE515, Sony DVP-S725D, Sony Mini Disc MZ-NHF800 (sold) * Cables: Grover U8 mini-RCA (sold), Turbo 6 inch mini-mini, Zu pivot RCA - mini, DIM (myself) starquad / jenna wire / nuetrik mini - mini and RCA * Music: 15,000 tracks. EAC Flac and LAME 320mp3.[/size]

Better:

My profile

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #30 of 127
I always felt that sigs or "signatures" on forums such as these were a way to express to those reading your posts, something about your personality, so that readers can understand what kind of person you are, what you're made of and where you're coming from.
Same as your avatar. I can't understand why someone would want their avatar to be a picture of an actor or someone with large breasts wearing headphones
evil_smiley.gif

I never thought sig files were intended to post your gear or for sale items, that's what "profiles" and the "for sale" forum are there for.

Also, being that we have a built in spell check, I find it really annoying when people don't check over their posts before submitting them. I feel it is a badge of honor about your (not you're) personality. Like wearing a stained shirt or wrinkled clothes outside of the house, but that's how I was brought up and to each his own.

My sig is my beliefs and credo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back