are philips uptown worth it? pics?
Aug 29, 2012 at 7:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jakebake

Head-Fier
hey guys i have been thinking about getting some more portable headphones than my akg q701 for my walk to college. I have been looking into either the downtown or uptown. Are the uptowns worth the price difference? I tried them both at best buy but not really the greatest testing envirement and i couldn't tell too much of a difference. Anyone who has heard both for a more extensive period of time have an opinion? How about the comfort of each? Lastly, still kinda deciding on which color I would like if you have pictures of yours I'd love to see them.

thanks guys

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 12
Problem with those threads is there is too much stuff everything just gets lost. I.bought the down towns on amazon for 80 dollars and I do like them. They sound very good for 80-100 dollar headphones however they have the brown up towns on amazon for 100 now. Should I spend 20 more dollars for the up towns? Are they worth it? Do they have more or less bass?

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 12
Slightly more bass, not as "shouty" IMO.

Personally after listening to the citiscape line at a local BB I wasn't too impressed myself . . . I went with a pair of HD428's instead for my portable headphones . . .

Sep 2, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 12
I found the Downtowns to be less bassy (not necessarily in a good way), although I didn't listen to them for too long.  And I prefer circumaurals, anyway.  I thought the Uptowns were fuller and richer.  I bought them and I really like them.  They're my current favorites.  They do a lot of things very well.  If it's true that they're only $100 on Amazon, I recommend them without hesitation.

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Slightly more bass, not as "shouty" IMO.

Personally after listening to the citiscape line at a local BB I wasn't too impressed myself . . . I went with a pair of HD428's instead for my portable headphones . . .

Fortunately, with a little bit of modding - 15 minutes of time, the bass on the HD-428 can be improved to levels that probably exceed the HD-600s. 
wink.gif
   Yes, I can say that because I do own the HD-580s and the HD-428s.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Fortunately, with a little bit of modding - 15 minutes of time, the bass on the HD-428 can be improved to levels that probably exceed the HD-600s. 
wink.gif
   Yes, I can say that because I do own the HD-580s and the HD-428s.

Do you mean more bass than they currently have?  If so I'm actually not interested, there is already plenty of bass in them as is IMO. >_>

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Do you mean more bass than they currently have?  If so I'm actually not interested, there is already plenty of bass in them as is IMO. >_>

I would go with the Uptown. I haven't ever listened to the Downtown or HD 428s but the Uptown have a very good spectrum with a decent soundstage. The bass on the Uptown is clean, tight, and crisp but is still fun to listen to as it isn't overpowering. The mids are forward and the highs are good and not fatiguing at all. If I had to choose out of these I would go with the Uptown. Trust me the Uptown are a great option and you should be happy with the bass on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back