Are Oakley Watches worth the price?
Aug 7, 2006 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

NEO

500+ Head-Fier
I am considering the Oakley watch, the one likes Timebomb or Judge. Does anyone own any of these (I guess so)? Are they worth the price? Are they durable and reliable? These are expensive watched and I am not sure if they are prone to scrathes (seen a lot on eBay with marks and scrathes all over the band)?
Thanks,
NEO

10-002.jpg

judgelgb.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 64
Comparing my Oakley d3 to a Nixon Isis, or a Crush 2.5 to an Invicta Baby Lupah Espadon, I'd have to give a big huge gigantic NO, they are not worth the price. Bong is an Oakley watch collector and probably has a much differing view though.

I used to be really in love with the O watches, but seeing what else is out there, there's better for the money. I think you really have to be mad into The O for the cost to be worth it.

Now glasses are another thing, and the bags are getting better, but watches? Nah, get a Nixon or something if you want that kind of design.

Aug 7, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
if you like the design enough to pay for it, get it.

you dont buy a movado for its movement, you dont buy an oakley watch for its movement.

That's very true. Even in the design dept. though, it's all about the guys. The girls get what was in the reject pile, which is a problem that Oakley has sometimes, not with all things, but with watches, and the women's line of sunglasses, most definately.

The shoes aren't so hot either, but to be honest, the guy's shoes aren't either, so that's an equal opportunity bad. But they're refocusing on the glasses I think, so that's all good.

Bags OTOH, someone there is slowly learning what women want.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry to wander there, the only part of that that has to do with watches is that I think the girl's designs are lacking. Guys get the time tank. What do we get?
wink.gif
I'll take my two Invictas over the Jury.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by NEO
These are expensive watched and I am not sure if they are prone to scrathes (seen a lot on eBay with marks and scrathes all over the band)?

Well, the Timebomb is very prone to scratching since it is made out of Titanium and has a mineral glass crystal. The Judge on the other hand is made of stainless steel & has a sapphire crystal and should be much more durable.

I've owned a Crush, D1, D2 and Torpedo, and they have all been great watches. The Torpedo especially
smily_headphones1.gif
My D2 is almost 4 years old now, and has held up remarkably well considering the retail price.

Aug 7, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 64
Well, I am thinking about getting one on eBay for not more than $500. They have timebomb for less than $400 and Judge for slighly more. May even get the used but mint one. Are the material and finish worth even $400 price tag? With less than this price, I can also get some high end Seiko or Casio GIEZ which also looks cool. Does the timebomb and judge looks great on your wrist?

Aug 7, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
Get a watch from a watch maker, not a designer company.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin
Get a watch from a watch maker, not a designer company.

qft, times 2.
but some people like the designer styles.

Aug 8, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 64
Oakley watches aren't particularly revolutionary when it comes to just telling time. If you're considering one, then you obviously want something a little different and outside of the box, so you're going for looks more than anything. That said, I own an Oakley Crush, and have to say that it is extremely well made in fit and finish. There is a 3D aspect to its hour markers that cannot be appreciated through a picture...this can probably be said for most of their watches in fact, that you need to see them in person to really appreciate them. It's certainly not a watch I can wear as part of a business casual attire though. I haven't heard anybody have any problems with Oakley watches so I think it's safe to say that they're very well made, but neither would I pay full retail for one.

Aug 8, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #10 of 64
The Oakley Timebomb is a cool watch, although I don't believe it's titanium wristband and glass crystal will resist scratching. Accidentally brush the wristband or it's crstal against a concrete wall and it will take on damage. As far as reliability, my sister has owned one for the past 4 years and has never had a problem with it. I do remember at one time Oakley had offered a limited edition of of the Timebomb in 18k solid gold for around $30k USD, I only know one Japanese national who had ordered one:

http://www.rubensmenswear.com/pages/...watch_18k.html

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #13 of 64
take this with a grain of salt... from a horophile's perspective, Oakley watches (like many other brands) are probably overpriced if you're talking about the aspect of internals. they pretty much use generic Swiss or Japan movements. however, Oakley watches look like nothing else, and to me that's appealing. not to disrespect anyone but sometimes i feel a lot of more traditional watches out there look gaudy to me. i would love to have a nice Oris or a Panerai one of these days though.

anyway, the TimeBomb is great... looks unique and never needs batteries. however, the Titanium is pretty scratch and scuff prone, and the mineral glass crystal is not as robust as sapphire crystals. the Judge on the other hand has a sapphire crystal; i wear mine all the time and there isn't one scratch on it... however the polished bracelet can be scratched but the shape of the links on the bracelet does hide it well.

my Oakley watches, since half a year ago... there's three more in the collection right now:
bongwatches031606.jpg

so still no Powder Blue Crush 2.5 for you yet, Plainsong?

Aug 8, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #15 of 64
Whoa. Just looked at the prices for these. If the styling is your thing and you want one, buy it.

But I will point out that, for these prices, you can also purchase a well-made mechanical watch from a good company. I'll disagree with the earlier poster who said traditional watches are gaudy. Not so. Many of the best ones are minimalist. My best watch has just the bare minimum of markings- nothing more. The designer intentionally stripped it of ornament. I like that sort of thing, but I'll agree that it's not for everyone. There are also excellent vintage watches in this price range, too. Ones with superb build quality and collector interest, too.

Again, buy what makes you happy, but you owe it to yourself to look at the rest of the market in this price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back