Are my K701's fatally flawed?
Mar 19, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you refuse to mention your source or amp? You know, you could just make it up, but not answering makes you sound like a troll.

or flipping out about this could make you sound like a troll when only one person even mentioned source. yes, he probably should mention source, but really, calling him a troll because he hasn't stated it yet? Seriously?

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or flipping out about this could make you sound like a troll when only one person even mentioned source. yes, he probably should mention source, but really, calling him a troll because he hasn't stated it yet? Seriously?

The general courtesy to post source and amp whenever one has a problem, has been a tradition here since the beginning and for common sense reasons... I don't know why he keeps refusing to tell us what source or amp he has and instead his going on and on and with his complaints.

I don't care if this is K702 or any headphone, this sort of vague bs-ism is really annoying.

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

The general courtesy to post source and amp whenever one has a problem, has been a tradition here since the beginning and for common sense reasons... I don't know why he keeps refusing to tell us what source or amp he has and instead his going on and on and with his complaints.

I don't care if this is K702 or any headphone, this sort of vague bs-ism is really annoying.

um, not everybody knows all these conventions. The one you state isn't even clearly stated in a FAQ that I know of. I would be very wary of calling it BS and trolling. I don't think the guy has any foul intentions. Not that I even think there could be foul intentions. We are just talking about headphones.

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Please accept my humble apologies - I was meaning to post it but I thought the thread died - I didn't realised it went into a second page.

Dac - Bryston BDA-1
Amp - Lehmann Black cube Linear and Cayin HA-1A

I had it running through the Cayin for the novelty of watching movies with a tubed soundtrack (Highly recommended - no bearing on reality whatsoever but fun!)

These components are a notch above mid-fi I believe - so I thought the problem is the in the headphones.

I am probably kicking up more a fuss than necessary in my initial reaction. I have since just accepted that no headphone is flawless - The K701 did enable me to enjoy my predominately female vocals - and they still are really good. If others do not hear what I describe then that is OK because everyones ears are slightly different.
beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SP Wild, maybe the K701 make you aware of the bad quality of the online movies?
In some of the online movies you can hear the low quality compression bit rate and sound artifacts, same as the low bit rate mp3s.

I just realised you meant "on-line" as in downloaded movies. It is a rule that I never watch any movie I am interested in through pirated copies as they always have inferior picture and sound. My movies are played on a Pioneer Elite DV989avi - triple layered chassis - 10kg beast of a DVD player - from rented DVD. DVD set to 2 ch - digital coax to the Bryston DAC.

Mar 19, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Why do you refuse to mention your source or amp? You know, you could just make it up, but not answering makes you sound like a troll.

Huh?

The AKG K-701/2 has some genuine issues in the vocal range. I sold my K-701 because it never sounded natural, no matter what associated equipment I used.

Issues in the vocal range were very obvious when compared to the HD-800, K-1000, HP-2, K-501, DT48, K-240DF, Omega2, ESL-63s, AMTs, ribbons, and live events.

The only conclusion I could draw was that the K-701 was fatally flawed in the vocals. Further, I listened to other pairs at meets and confirmed that the issue wasn't just with the pair I owned. I found the K-701 irritating and, unfortunately, unlistenable. Shame, because I generally love AKG products.

I think the K-701/2's popularity is largely because of its low price point. It's the cheapest currently available "flagship" headphone, so lots of people buy it as their first "high end" headphone. Many haven't compared it against something like a HD-600. Many who have compared the K-701 to other headphones usually prefer other headphones.

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many haven't compared it against something like a HD-600. Many who have compared the K-701 to other headphones usually prefer other headphones.

A good amount of posters here prefer the 701/2 over the HD600/650 for detail and soundstage, if you're discussing the warmth in the headphones then yeah I would say the HD's have the 702's beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back