Are my expectations reasonable? (headphoones vs. earphones)
May 23, 2010 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

teknikal

New Head-Fier
Hey all :),

I just bought myself a Presonus Firestudio Mobile audio interface - novice musician starting a home 'studio'...
Now, currently, my main 'listening device' is an Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro IEM that I've been using live.
I'm VERY happy with it.
But now I am after a pair of headphones for listening at home/studio monitoring work...
I am considering the Shure SRH440 but I am hesitant atm because since I am on a tight budget, I don't really want to spend money on something that won't sound as good if not better than what I already have... I'd rather save up for a better mic or something...
Now at that sort of budget (SRH440 price level) is it reasonable for me to expect a sound quality that rivals my current Super.Fi 5 Pro?
Note that I'm only considering closed phones, and some research on reviews etc shows that the SRH440 is the best in that price range...so that's why I'm specifically noting that model...

Basically the bottom line is... Shure SRH440 vs. Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro?

Thanks all in advance!

Phil

EDIT: I don't know if my musical taste is useful for question like this, but here it is:
Linkin Park, Phoenix, Coldplay, Passion Pit, Metric, Vampire Weekend.

May 23, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #3 of 18
the shure srh440 is actually perfect for home studio work. pretty neutral but plays all notes hi to low with clarity

May 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 18
The reason I put SRH440, as my first audiophile headphone under all my other headphones and not regularly recommend to other people is due to its roll off at low end and pretty harsh treble.

I would rather recommend HD555 or M50 over SRH440. Note: Although their MSRP are quite different, I bought all those 3 at similar prices ranging from $75 to $80.

Edit: I listened to some $100-ish IEMs and I don't think SRH440 outperform them.

May 24, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
the shure srh440 is actually perfect for home studio work. pretty neutral but plays all notes hi to low with clarity

How does it compare to your k240M. Those can be found regularly for pretty cheap on ebay

May 24, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 18
haven't heard the shure, but i have the ue superfi 5 pros and i'd recommend the ath-m50.  gives a good taste for the benefits of a full sized hp over iems and its a proper studio monitor.

i have a home studio and i've actually found the presonus headphone outputs to be perhaps the most robust of the audio interfaces i've tried, although i'm using a motu with a littledot headphone amp right now.

May 24, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
How does it compare to your k240M. Those can be found regularly for pretty cheap on ebay

i prefer the 240m, though it takes a monster amp to run properly. the shure is a little colder, clinical sounding, range a little wider.
the m50 is a sweet headphone and one my faves, but way too bassy to consider for mixing work

May 24, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 18
hmm so i guess the consensus is the m50 is a better bet than the shure srh440 huh?

lol but its 2.5x the price :frowning2:

what i don't understand is, i see people in proper pro studios and they're only using sony mdr-v6s for monitoring! so that's why i thought the shure would be 'good enough'....(i thought fullsize > iem form-factorwise...)

@mugtastic: i just got the new firestudio mobile (released late last year)...it uses the same dac/adc as their 24channel studiolive interfaces and its AWESOME! the mic preamps are very good too. comparisons say its on par if not better than the apogee duet and its alot cheaper :)

May 24, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 18
the m50 is nicer, but it is NOT for mixing work, its nowhere near neutral. it costs about the same as the shure in the USA.

for the most serious neutral headphone you want a beyerdynamic dt48 or an akg k240df. they are the only 2 i can think of with any certification behind their true-to-sound. the k240df is out of production but used ones are ez to find

you might be getting a lot of opinions on 'better sounding' as opposed to studio/mixing proper sound. for instance- the 240df-which i have had- sounds boring, cold, clinical, and a far cry from 'fun' headphones like art series technicas, higher end denons and beyer dt770/880 and such

May 24, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 18
most sound engineers wouldn't mix on headphones at all - i like to use them as one tool and have gotten pretty good at it (imo).  

i haven't had the m50 too long but i like them for recording work - i could see a problem handing them to someone used to only mixing on ns10s and saying "mix!" but i appreciate their ability to show what's going on "down there" and any coloring can be learned and adjusted to.

perhaps not the best reference phone in the world but a good all rounder - can be used in studio, casual listening or even be powered by a portable.

i got mine for $89 on ebay from brianf.

May 27, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #13 of 18
ok....so im thinking to go open and get a HD555 sennheiser....then maybe do the HD595 conversion mod (which i am still skeptical about)....placebo effect?

will i be disappointed by that headphone if im used to the quality of the super.fi 5 pro?

thanks again all!!

May 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 18
Whether you are mixing on headphones or on monitors, you will still need to do lots of A-B comparisons between your mix and some other mix that sounds "right" to you. The goal is to listen on something that will reveal the problems or the deviations between your A and B. This conflicts with the goal of a sound that does not generate listening fatigue.

I have a set of Triple.fi10 earphones that, while amazing, don't shine the same light of detail on the music as my AudioTechnica AD700 - even though the AD700's would probably not be my first choice for mixing (mainly the frequency curve). However, I can't wear canal-phones for more than a couple hours at a time, so I would NEED to have something comfortable above all.

I don't think that you can reasonably expect, through research alone, to find something that reveals the details you need revealed, plays well with your audio interface, is comfortable for very long sessions, and is available for $100. Plan for some trial and error before you get what you are looking for.

May 27, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #15 of 18
I have the Super 5 Pro.
The M50 will surpass it in detail of the highs. It's a little bassy, and the mids are slightly recessed, but the overall sound is pretty good and 'natural'. I would not consider them true 'monitor' cans as they are pretty far from neutral or flat.

For a bit more $$ the SRH-840 will do very well as monitors. Their overall tonality is fairly flat (though lacking somewhat in the bass). If I found them more comfortable (heavy!) I would still have them as their sound is mostly neutral and extremely detailed.

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back