are my etymotic er6is on thier deathbed?
Apr 8, 2008 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
I got some etymotic er6is from a fellow headfi member a few months ago who claimed he had had them for a while and that the warranty was void and had ran out

just a week ago I started to lose sound in my left ear, and the sound repeatedly cut on and off depending on how the cord is moving, which means the headphone itself is not connecting to the jack, I tried my etys on both my iPod and my computer and the same problem presists. I tried my friends iBuds with my iPod and it worked fine, and I use px100s with my computer all day so the problem does not lie there either...

this happened to my shures which ultimately bit the dust as well, so are my etys on thier death bed? is there anything I can do to "save" them out of warranty? or should I chuck them and buy a new pair?

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #2 of 9
sounds like a cord or plug problem, maybe you could get them recabled?

or, as this is headfi, time to upgrade!

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 9
where would I get them recabled? would etymotic do it?

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 9
If it is the connection around the jack that has the problem, you can easily replace the jack yourself. If you (or any of your friend) are into DIY, there is a thread that tell you how to recable ER6i. If you decide there it is too much trouble to recable it, you can try and sell it here, I am sure there are a few member here who will love to recable ER6i.

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER6i recable by ericj.

I was just gonna link to that thread.

It could be the cable, or, like my er6i, it could be the perforated flexi-pcb inside the pod.

Apr 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by quiksliver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got some etymotic er6is from a fellow headfi member a few months ago who claimed he had had them for a while and that the warranty was void and had ran out

just a week ago I started to lose sound in my left ear, and the sound repeatedly cut on and off depending on how the cord is moving, which means the headphone itself is not connecting to the jack, I tried my etys on both my iPod and my computer and the same problem presists. I tried my friends iBuds with my iPod and it worked fine, and I use px100s with my computer all day so the problem does not lie there either...

this happened to my shures which ultimately bit the dust as well, so are my etys on thier death bed? is there anything I can do to "save" them out of warranty? or should I chuck them and buy a new pair?

Hopefully you didn't get ripped by this guy. email Ety to see what there options are for recabling.

Aug 7, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 9
Same thing happened to my ER6i.

Instead of repairing it I had it grafted with my iPhone earphones here Ultimate Buds*::*Services*::*Apple/ER6x Assembly

Now my ER6i will have the mic and play/stop button
smily_headphones1.gif

Great option if you use your ER6i primarily with an iPhone. The other problem with using an ER6i with the iPhone is that the ER6i doesn't sit very securely in the iPhone jack. And whenever it comes out slightly the iPhone will pause the music so I have to get my phone out and fiddle with it to continue listening.

Aug 7, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 9
Another ER6i owner with the same problem here.

Emailed ety, and they said it was going to be $69 + shipping for a new pair (I have to ship the originals in as well).....

Sent them another email to see how much ER4S would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back