are most of you involved heavily in DIY audio engineers or have pro experience in the industry?
Apr 7, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #16 of 23
Outside of Bose, Shure, HK and Klipsch, are there any big audio companies with operations in the US? It seems like the US has mostly small makers.

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #18 of 23
I was interested in electronics when I was young (10? something like that). Stopped for a pretty long time--then I found head-fi. I've moved on to other areas of electronics, and have also been doing some research in plant genetics. Hopefully I'll be doing something with bioelectrical engineering when I enter college next year. I'd imagine all the experience from head-fi and my other projects will make life just a bit easier in college =)

Apr 9, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #19 of 23
I am a senior in Mechanical Engineering at Oregon State University. When first coming to school I had a hard time choosing between mechanical and electrical engineering since I always was fascinated by electronics as a kid, but I decided to go with mechanical and leave the electrical stuff as a hobby.

As a mechanical engineering student I have taken just the basic electronics courses, so I don't have much formal training. But I find playing around with amps and understanding how they work to be more beneficial than course work (after you have a basic understanding of electrical laws).

Soon I'll be heading out to industry, so hopefully my electrical skills will be of some use to me there. Also, I graduate in June, so if anyone in the Portland/Beaverton area is looking for an entry-level mechanical engineer give me a PM.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #20 of 23
I am a software test engineer for an import/export company. We build our own software so that we own it! I've done this for about 15 years.

I am degreed in music, and chose not to pursue a career there because you have to be either amazingly gifted or have super connections. While I had crazy good musical abilities, the connections didn't pan out and, well, here came computers at the time... I had a friend who worked in a studio for a time and got to know more about how things got laid down track by track. Good times.

But when I started with my Radio Shack electronics project kit (101 Projects inside!!!) I was hooked. I've learned tons since then, obviously.

With my music career in the rearview, I turned to listening and audio. I am a hardened music and audio buff who enjoys great audio, and have learned that so many of the DIY designs are just totally amazing. As I said out on Headwize, to hell with retail. DIY gives me opportunities for audio that can be rare and unique. It's pretty cool building up a kit and making it look all your own.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #21 of 23
I've been a licensed Professional Engineer since 1992. I started out in engineering as draftsman/designer in EE consulting. After a few years, I got my ME degree. That was almost 25 years ago.
wink.gif
Since then, I spent 15 years with a major defense contractor designing plant-process/mechanical-utilities for aircraft research and production. About 8 years ago, I went into the Government where I helped design laboratory air systems and mechanical utilities for biological containment. I did that until they kicked me upstairs into management, where I still work.

Somewhere along the way a few years ago, my old Koss Pro4X's gave up the ghost and I started searching the Internet for a good replacement. I stumbled onto Head-Fi and Headwize, built a CMoy and have been hooked ever since.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #22 of 23
cool guys, really interesting stuff! as i thought, im in way over my head!
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #23 of 23
Spent probably half my grade 12 year in the electronics lab building stuff (or just goofing off), but I still thought I wanted to be in computers. I took most of the ACST (applied comp sci & tech) program at Langara, until enrollment in the higher level courses was so low that the courses kept getting cancelled. The program is very broad, it's primarily comp sci, but there's also quite a bit of EE content, as well as some pretty specific stuff like an in-depth course on telecommunications technology. Obviously it's focused almost entirely on digital electronics, but I did learn the basics of passives and transistors. Not really any analog design, but we did do quite a bit of design work with discrete logic and microcontrollers.

Stumbled on head-fi through hackaday way back when and got hooked. I'm not much of an audiophile, it's the 'building stuff' aspect of it that does it for me.

I recently lost my (lame computer) job and seriously considering going back to school in either electrical or computer engineering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back