Are MDR-7506 overkill for my purpose?
Jun 29, 2001 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sdaeh

New Head-Fier
Hi! (*Newbie Warning*)

I went out and auditioned the Grado Sr-60's and Sony MDR-7506 today. I decided on the Sony but I'm a little concerned whether its overkill for using on my soundcard which will be its primary role. I don't have a suitable amp and don't really plan on buying one but I am getting interested in DIY. However for the time being it will just be plugged straight into the soundcard.

The soundcard I currently have is a vibra pci 128, I use it mostly for games but also listening to mp3's, cd's etc. I do plan on upgrading it soon though, probably to a SB LIve Value or TB: Santa Cruz.

So basically will the limitations of the soundcard bring down the quality of the headphones (without an amp) to the point that I could have bought something cheaper with the same end result. Also for anyone who has a similar setup would you consider the volume suitable.

Also while I'm being a total newbie, what kind of DIY head amp would be best suited towards a line-in (soundcard) + 2 rca inputs(playstation) with 7506 headphones?

PS I know you can order the V6 online, but to import one here would cost more than buying the 7506 locally.

Thanks for reading
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2001 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't think it's overkill at all. I even use my Alessandro-Grado Music Series Pro headphone (MSRP: $695 US) straight out of my Guillemot Hercules Game Theater XP soundcard rack's headphone jack when I'm not in my room listening to my CDP through my amp. Before that, I used my Grado RS-2 (MSRP: $495 US) (which I'm selling!). In fact, I've even used the 7506 with it before. It does sound a lot better than worse headphones or average computer speakers, and the isolation the 7506 provides is decent (certainly compared with Grado headphones).

Anyway, I say you go for it.

Jun 29, 2001 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 8
The 7506 is excellent value for the money. Go for it. Later on, if and when you get a different/better source, you'll have a quality phone to use with it. The Sony is great for portable use also because of it's high efficiency.

Jun 29, 2001 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Agreed w/ Dan & mbriant, go ahead and get the V6, it's definitely not overkill.

Jul 10, 2001 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Hi again.

Sapphiremodena I'm in Australia, to import the V6 it would cost $25 US for shipping, it doesn't come out as much of a saving overall.

I decided to get the MDR-7506 locally and I'm very impressed with them so far. The sound quality through my soundcard is a lot better than I was expecting and the volume ... yeesh If I maxed it out I'd probably go deaf in a couple of minutes.. I'm no audiophile so I'll just say they sound great for my purposes
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway thanks for the advice.

Jul 10, 2001 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Sdaeh
I decided to get the MDR-7506 locally and I'm very impressed with them so far.

Sdaeh,

I'm glad you're happy with your 7506's. I love my V6/7506's -- they seem to be very compatible with my ears, and I use them a lot. Out of my Max headphone amp, they're absolutely stellar to my ears. I listen to them as much as my HD-600's (sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back