Are IEMs supposed to be like this?
May 30, 2011 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Vikingatheart

500+ Head-Fier
First let me say that this is not a trolling thread. I am 100%, legitimately confused and need clarification. My Shure SE215s sound pretty awesome, I love how they sound with EDM especially, but listening to an album is becoming a pain. Literally! I can't keep these suckers in for more than a 1/2 hour before my ears begin to hurt. I read through an old thread (its rather short though), and the general consensus is that IEMs hurt. Uhm.... what? Why would people want to buy these if they hurt?

I don't buy into that. I realize that they might not be the most comfortable, but they shouldn't actually cause pain, right?

I've tried different tips and it definitely helps the pain if I'm using the right tips. I think that the small olives work the best, but its still not comfortable. What should I do folks?

Old thread - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/240731/first-time-with-iems-my-ears-hurt

May 30, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 39

Quote:
First let me say that this is not a trolling thread. I am 100%, legitimately confused and need clarification. My Shure SE215s sound pretty awesome, I love how they sound with EDM especially, but listening to an album is becoming a pain. Literally! I can't keep these suckers in for more than a 1/2 hour before my ears begin to hurt. I read through an old thread (its rather short though), and the general consensus is that IEMs hurt. Uhm.... what? Why would people want to buy these if they hurt?

I don't buy into that. I realize that they might not be the most comfortable, but they shouldn't actually cause pain, right?

I've tried different tips and it definitely helps the pain if I'm using the right tips. I think that the small olives work the best, but its still not comfortable. What should I do folks?

Old thread - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/240731/first-time-with-iems-my-ears-hurt

It takes your ears a little time to adjust to IEMs.  Also, if you are playing around with tips, it can irritate your ears.  I have noticed this happen with Shure silicone tips as well.  Don't use the IEMs for a couple (or few) days (this is a good time to burn them in).  Your ear irritation will go away.  If you still feel pain, make sure you are wearing them over the ear (not down -- they are Shures).  If you still feel pain after that, return them and try a different pair.

May 30, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 39
Thanks for the advice. I wear them over the ear like you're supposed to, and I didn't think about the irritation that would be caused by changing tips. I think I will let them sit for a few days and then give 'em another test.

May 30, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #4 of 39
They just might not be the right IEMs for you.  The angle they sit might just cause pain.  Try something different.  If you look at Joker's IEM thread there are varying degrees of comfort and each IEM is different (some more than others of course).  Something like the Phonak PFE is probably the most comfortable over the ear headphone ever made in my opinion...so if you try something like that you'll see what I'm saying.

I've tried about ten different IEMs in the last three months and I've settled on the Atrio X.  It's got 90% of the comfort of the PFE and it has a sound sig that I prefer.  I never could get the 215s you've got in my ear correctly.  The cable coming out of them pushed the IEM away from my ear so it looked ridiculous.  It just shows that everyone's ears are different and you need to try something else if the IEMs you're using are causing pain.  I can wear my Atrios for hours at a time and not even know they are there.  How it should be.

May 30, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #5 of 39
I remember reading your posts about the cable pushing against the outer part of your ear. Fortunately, this is not my issue. They sit right in my ear, but its the tips that seem to be the issue. Its as if the foam is just to soft and squishy, and the tube underneath them is pressing against the inside of my ear. Would another tip do the trick? 

May 30, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 39

Quote:
I remember reading your posts about the cable pushing against the outer part of your ear. Fortunately, this is not my issue. They sit right in my ear, but its the tips that seem to be the issue. Its as if the foam is just to soft and squishy, and the tube underneath them is pressing against the inside of my ear. Would another tip do the trick? 

Your skin is irritated (skin around the ear is actually very sensative, this is why it's happening).  Stop using them for a few days.  This confirms it.  If you actually continue, you'll actually get a small scab there and it'll hurt even more.  Just hold off for a few days, it'll fix itself.  Happened to me already. :p

Don't keep playing with tips, it'll make it worse.

May 30, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 39

Quote:

Your skin is irritated (skin around the ear is actually very sensative, this is why it's happening).  Stop using them for a few days.  This confirms it.  If you actually continue, you'll actually get a small scab there and it'll hurt even more.  Just hold off for a few days, it'll fix itself.  Happened to me already. :p

Don't keep playing with tips, it'll make it worse.

I hope you're right. I can't think of selling these for another brand or type. I absolutely love everything about these except for their comfort at the moment. If it turns out I have to though, are Westones worth taking a look at. I would need to stay in and around the $100 dollar range, mind you.

May 30, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 39
Listen to tinyman392. When I first started using IEM's they hurt my ears too. It's normal. It is unnatural to have things in your ears, so your ears are not going to like it at first. But give it a week or two and you won't notice it anymore most likely. And whenever your ears do start hurting (usually because you have been pulling them in out constantly changing the tips) you just need to give your ears a break for a day or two. They will get over the irritation and things will be back to normal again.

May 30, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 39

Quote:
Listen to tinyman392. When I first started using IEM's they hurt my ears too. It's normal. It is unnatural to have things in your ears, so your ears are not going to like it at first. But give it a week or two and you won't notice it anymore most likely. And whenever your ears do start hurting (usually because you have been pulling them in out constantly changing the tips) you just need to give your ears a break for a day or two. They will get over the irritation and things will be back to normal again.

Thanks! I think/hope you are right. 

May 30, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 39

Quote:
Which part of your ears are hurting? Depending on the part (canal, antitragus, etc), there are different solutions to alleviate the pain

It seems like its the very beginnings of my ear canal (both ears) are the part that hurts. I keep moving them around when they're in there to try to alleviate the pain, but I think thats making it worse. What are some methods?

May 30, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 39
Last resort could be some comply tips or possible make your own using Ear defenders scissors and a hole punch.

Nat.

May 30, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 39

Quote:
Last resort could be some comply tips or possible make your own using Ear defenders scissors and a hole punch.

Nat.

I will look into those. Thanks for the suggestion.

May 30, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #14 of 39
I also suggest let your ears rest. They need to heal and get tough and it may take several iterations. Don't be like me - I was too eager to listen to them all the time I had sore spots and eventually bleeding. Once bleeding happens, its definitely game over until the skin completely heals and hopefully no infection.

May 30, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 39
I use silicone tips and I find the comfort to be greater than headphones. I can usually wear them for hours without any irritation or discomfort. You might have not found the right fit yet or if you try to move them around too much they will irritate your ears. But yeah, take the general advice and give some time for your ears to recover or buy the comply tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back