Are IEMs Damaging To Health?
Jul 8, 2017 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

numberonesuperman

Head-Fier
Are IEMs Damaging To Health?

I use a pair of A&K Rosie IEMs and wondered if used over long periods, with posibility of moisture build up, could lead to ear infection. Moisture could be present after showering? THANKS

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #3 of 15
Moisture (while showering, say) evaporates quickly afterward, and is a totally different thing than moisture that stays in one spot all day without evaporating. That said, have you actually heard about a single case of this causing, say, an infection, or any other health problems? Or is this just a paranoia you have because you think it might happen?

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 15
Hello it's probably more paranoia to be honest. I've become very conscious about removing moisture from my ears so I use cotton wool buds very Often before putting my IEMs in thanks

I would not recommend using cotton buds all that often. You mostly just push in earwax deeper inside the ear-canal. Plus you scratch the skin, which might contribute to infections. I recommend using something like this, instead.
Regarding your original question. Yes, it is possible to get infections from IEMs. Obviously you won't infect something like the Eustachian tube or the general middle-ear area, but it can contribute to external otitis (general outer-ear infections).
You can easily avoid such issues via. changing/disinfecting the ear-tips on a regular basis. I have heard from some cases, but these are very rare occurrences and often have other factors contributing to it.

Jul 9, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for the reply. It's really hot here in UK so thought that would contribute to the situation. Great advice I'll focus on cleaning the ear tips. Cheers
I would not recommend using cotton buds all that often. You mostly just push in earwax deeper inside the ear-canal. Plus you scratch the skin, which might contribute to infections. I recommend using something like this, instead.
Regarding your original question. Yes, it is possible to get infections from IEMs. Obviously you won't infect something like the Eustachian tube or the general middle-ear area, but it can contribute to external otitis (general outer-ear infections).
You can easily avoid such issues via. changing/disinfecting the ear-tips on a regular basis. I have heard from some cases, but these are very rare occurrences and often have other factors contributing to it.

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 15
The only issue I've had with IEM use is in conjunction with swimming. I do distance swimming, and I've noticed that if I use IEM's within an hour or so before getting in the water, I invariably end up with water trapped in my ears, which definitely can lead to an infection. Other than that, no problems.

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 15
It's really hot here in UK
LOL! It's hot in the UK? Compared with? :wink:
As an Englishman who emigrated to SE Asia, I'll tell you what hot and humid is, 30-35°C with 95% humidity, that's when you need to worry!
I have suffered with otitis externa and sometimes otitis media due to swimming and water retention because of boxer's ears, but I use IEMs daily and they have never contributed to any issues that I have had - confirmed by my doctor. I do keep my ears extremely clean, and drain after swimming, but have zero issues that relate to IEM use.
Clean tips and clean ears, no worries.
:)

Jul 10, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 15
Let think about this - there are those with hearing damage that required to wear hearing aid most of the time everyday. If those people didn't all get ear infection due to moisture build up, what is the odd that IEM user will have the problem?

Jul 10, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 15
The moisture is damaging to the acoustic filters in the iem itself. As the CEO of one iem maker told me concerning the slow degradation in sound due to moisture damage to acoustic filters, "people are getting less out of their iems, and they aren't even aware of it!". This has happened to experienced audiophiles!

Using a cotton swab is completely fine, btw. Don't shove it in and puncture your eardrum, obviously. Some people should never use one, due to lack of coordination and poor judgment. Careful use by a responsible person is no problem at all. Audiologists have remarked at how clean my ear drums are thanks to cotton swabs.

Jul 10, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 15
Moisture should not be an issue; see ClieOS' post. Not to mention that swimming, showering, manual labor, sports, etc. all contribute more moisture to the system. IEMs merely trap what's there, and only while inserted.

The health area that IEM users should be concerned with is their hearing. Music-Induced Hearing Disorders (MIHD) range from simple noise-induced hearing loss (from overexposure to audio above 85 dB) to conditions like diplacusis, hyperacusis, threshold shirt, and tinnitus. Fortunately, this can be handled through proper use of the volume control.
More on hearing health from your friends at Sensaphonics: MIHD/NIHL info page.
#RespectYourEars

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 15
When I first read the title of the thread, that's what I thought it was referring to. I have had moisture mess up the filters on my Audeo PFE's. But once dried out they're fine again.

Feb 6, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 15
No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back