Are HPs your primary output device?
Feb 29, 2008 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

wfranklin

100+ Head-Fier
How many of you spend more time listening to HPs than speakers? What percentage split?

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 48
99% headphones and 1% speakers.

My speakers are not made for music (Logitech Z5500), I'm a student so don't have the money for a speaker rig and I live in an apartment so I can't play loud.

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by wfranklin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many of you spend more time listening to HPs than speakers?

It depends who's speaking
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 48
I do! About 95% headphones and 5% speakers

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends who's speaking
biggrin.gif

OK, very funny. Speakers=loudspeakers.

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

OK, very funny. Speakers=loudspeakers.

Aw, in that case, I'll have to admit that I don't even own loudspeakers anymore. I've evidently become so old and dull that I wouldn't yield usable room in my house to a full-sized rig anymore.

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 48
I was at about 90% speakers when I first got into headphones about 5 years ago.

Then I shifted gradually to the point where I listened to headphones more often, and probably up to as much as 70-80% headphones at one point. It wasn't that my speaker setups suddenly weren't as good, but the Head-Fi thing was a real buzz for me. I was buying all sorts of high end headphones and amps and forever making comparisons, both for myself and for others who asked me to help them make decisions.

But now I've shifted back quite seriously towards speakers since my MBL system just does everything right to my ears. I have a hard time pulling myself away from it to listen to any of my headphones! I'm now anywhere from 70-100% speakers during any given week. Yes, there are times that I do no headphone listening at all during an entire week.

I kind of feel bad about it at times, and I enjoy headphones as much as I ever had when I do break away for a good listening session. It's just hard to do! But I suspect that one day (maybe even soon) I'll start cycling back into more and more headphone listening. I really would like to get back to 50-50 because I think that's the ideal place to be.

Headphones are wonderful in terms of allowing yourself to become lost in the inner details of the the music, and I don't discount that at all. But when speakers are done right, it can become a total immersion experience that becomes quite addictive.

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

How many of you spend more time listening to HPs than speakers? What percentage split?

My headphone setup is the best sounding piece of equipment in my house so it's about 90% headphones, and 10% speakers. My speakers, though not audiophile quality, are only used when I watch movies in surround sound. Anything else, it's all headphones.

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 48
100% actually, I used to have 20 dollar wal mart speakers my dad picked up when he moved the computer, and after getting my px100s and my etys I had no reason for them and simply gave them to my sister

Users who are viewing this thread

Back