Are Hifiman headphones prone to failures?
Aug 2, 2018 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Poganin

1000+ Head-Fier
So, since I'm hitting a round 40 next year I've decided to treat myself to some nice planars then, and browsing the net I thought that the Ananda could be a good candidate. However, I'm also seeing quite a few complaints about the bad quality of their products: headphones falling apart, drivers not working out of the box or dying very quickly etc..

Are Hifiman products really such a lottery as to whether they'll work or not?

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 14
Well I have three pairs and two were bought used and haven’t had a problem myself. Had one pair of HE-400’s that broke but it was not their fault still play though.

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 14
I have had no issue with the drivers but the ear pads did fall apart at about a year and a-half. Pretty disappointing. HiFiMAN would not cover it since it was past one-year warranty period. I have not purchased another HiFiMAN product. Model was HE400S.

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #4 of 14
- Ear pad material is always subpar and will fall apart over time but this is easy to replace. Same for inner headband on present day models.

- Cable is typically cheaply made.

- 2.5mm cable connectors are especially frail so don't unplug/plug too often.

- I don't suggest being a HiFiMan early adopter.

- Driver failures seem to happen quickly. If it doesn't fail early then it's probably ok, lots of older models circulate the used market.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 14
I purchased a pair of brand new in the box HE6's to be my end game headphone. After two driver failures in less than 9 months I was forced to sell them before the warranty expired.
Havent owned another HiFiMan product since,though I will grab another HE500 at some point.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 14
I guess I count myself lucky then. Were the driver failures from speaker taps?

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 14
- I don't suggest being a HiFiMan early adopter.

Do you think then that it's too soon to get the Ananda yet? Should I wait until it drops in price or there's an updated revision?

Aug 3, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 14
Do you think then that it's too soon to get the Ananda yet? Should I wait until it drops in price or there's an updated revision?

Great question, who knows if there will be an Ananda v2 in a few months. I think it's too soon just for the sake of failures.

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 14
Perhaps I should take a look at an Audeze product then. LCD-X, for example...

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 14
Perhaps I should take a look at an Audeze product then. LCD-X, for example...

Their customer service is 11/10. But try to audition one in a quiet environment first. Quite frankly every Audeze LCD model has awful recessed lower treble or upper mids that causes a distinct unnatural veil around vocals and many instruments. Not everyone can get over this, personally I can't stand listening to them for this reason and I suggest ZMF instead since they have similar sound and strengths but without that weakness.

Aug 5, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks for the warning, Rhamnetin. I will audition first, of course, but it's good to know what possible shortcomings I should be looking for.
And if anyone has any suggestions for headphones in the similar price range as the Ananda, I'd welcome those, too. Something eclectic would be preferable as I listen to all sorts of music (jazz excluded), natural or slightly warm.

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #12 of 14
My top recommendation is the ZMF Ori, which is actually my favorite non electrostatic headphone and I've heard so many (though I haven't listened to the Susvara).

Aug 5, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #13 of 14
Unfortunately, ZMF Ori would be too expensive to get to where I live. I'd have to pay a customs fee and 23% VAT, which would run me up quite a lot with the shipping costs.
I also don't see them available anywhere but on the ZMF website, so I'm guessing they're not available through local distributors, so I wouldn't be able to listen to them first. But thanks for the suggestion :)

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #14 of 14
I got my then new (now a couple of months old) HE400i cheap for $150 and so far so good. I then bought Sennheisor 6XX. Would I pay the full price of the new one knowing some issues that people reported, probably not. Which one is more comfortable (to my head) and sounds better: (to my ears)Hifiman. Do I enjoy Senn? Yes, for vocal and string/woodwind intrument.
My point is I accept certain failure rate and resolvable issues as long as it is worth the trouble. It would be nice if I wouldn't have to get to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back