Are headphones safe?
Jun 6, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #17 of 36
I hate to break it to you but you live in an environment with powerful magnetic fields everywhere you look.

If you magnetize a steel needle by dragging it across a magnet several times and then pierce a small cork with it and float it in a bowl of water, it will align itself with the most powerful magnetic field present.

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #19 of 36
Yes, always use electrostatic headphones when you're getting an MRI.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Number0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I was worried about any magnetic fields or currents close to my head.
I always thought it wasn't a good idea to have magents that close to ones head. Always though it would mess up your brain or something.

Absolutely not. Certain kinds of rock emit gamma radiation slightly above average levels (in areas like Cornwall) whereas as magnets and their fields are not harmful in anyway, unless you somehow had an electromagnetic rail gun.

And as everyone has said, there is a growing body to suggest that mobile phones, as well as wi-fi, are harmful.

Headphones are a danger to your wallet though.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
doesn't everyone have a foil cap for headphone use?
tinfoil_hat.jpg

ERS paper is also acceptable

hahaha

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmk005 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, actually, I used to hold a foil umbrella in my office all day (with all the hi powered electronics around me) but after a few meetings my colleagues thought I was trying to deflect too many issues instead of dealing with them.
eek.gif

..... you serious?
blink.gif
I'd go for the foil cap over the foil umbrella personally. Holding an umbrella all day long would just get too tiring.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Number0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I was worried about any magnetic fields or currents close to my head.
I always thought it wasn't a good idea to have magents that close to ones head. Always though it would mess up your brain or something.

Magnetic fields shouldn't pose too many health concerns. Take for example MRI scans...the magnetic fields produced from those machines are significantly stronger than 2 little magnets.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #23 of 36
Yea I was thinking about MRIs also

They take literally MASSIVE magnets and make images of your brain with them also if magnets were so bad MRIs wouldnt be allowed and there would be more bad rep about headphones

The only way you can make headphones bad for yourself is overly loud volume

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #24 of 36
No, they are actually good for you. Studies show that the magnets align the dendrites (or something like that) in your brain which enhances your short and long term memory and it also makes it easier for you to think creatively.

Thomas Edison always aligned his head with the north and south pole and he was a genius. 'nuff said
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunkinator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, they are actually good for you. Studies show that the magnets align the dendrites (or something like that) in your brain which enhances your short and long term memory and it also makes it easier for you to think creatively.

Thomas Edison always aligned his head with the north and south pole and he was a genius. 'nuff said
wink.gif

I know which way I'll be facing from now on
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #26 of 36
Proven Hazards from headphones:

1. Hearing loss from listening at excessive volumes for extended periods

2. Inability to discern dangers in the environment via sound cues (particularly important when crossing public roadways, operating bicycles, etc.)

3. Distraction from normal work, school, and relationship responsibilties

4. As mentioned, excess spending

At present, magnets are not on the list.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And as everyone has said, there is a growing body to suggest that mobile phones, as well as wi-fi, are harmful.

No, there really isn't. Just a lot of fear, ignorance, pseudoscience, and anecdotes.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, there really isn't. Just a lot of fear, ignorance, pseudoscience, and anecdotes.

That's not what the 3rd ear on my 2nd head is telling me!

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #29 of 36
Headphones are safe. Head-Fi, on the other hand, is not.

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #30 of 36
My version:
Quote:

I was wondering are planets safe? Most these days have earthy magnets in them and as far as Im aware these types of magnets are very strong. I just dont think it a good idea to put myself with in any of them. I prob am just very paranoid?

Also agree that Head-fi isn't safe
smily_headphones1.gif

*moving to outer space...

BTW, don't worry too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back