Are head-fiers "fun" or "analytical"?
Jan 15, 2009 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

thatwunguy

100+ Head-Fier
After reading numerous post about different in-ear monitors (especially a thread about the phonak audeo), I discovered a larger difference in people's preferences.

Do more head-fiers prefer the cold, analytical sound of IEM's such as the etymotic er4p/s and klipsch custom? Or do we, as a whole, prefer IEM's with a "fun" sound.

Also, if you like "fun" IEM's do you like warm, bass oriented iems such as the Klipsch Image x10 and Atrio futuresonic a5 and a8? or Do you prefer the good treble of IEM's like the Klipsch image x5 and triple.fi 10 pro?

Vote for your favorite and leave a comment describing your ideal IEM's and why you prefer that style.

I prefer the warm, smooth sound signature and that's why the klipsch image x10 are my ideal IEM's.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 40
Also, if you like "fun" IEM's do you like warm, bass oriented iems such as the Klipsch Image x10 and Atrio futuresonic a5 and a8? or Do you prefer the good treble of IEM's like the Klipsch image x10 and triple.fi 10 pro?

Im confused, i wouldnt say X10s were trebly??

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if you like "fun" IEM's do you like warm, bass oriented iems such as the Klipsch Image x10 and Atrio futuresonic a5 and a8? or Do you prefer the good treble of IEM's like the Klipsch image x10 and triple.fi 10 pro?

Im confused, i wouldnt say X10s were trebly??

I meant to say x5, I corrected it.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fun? Get off my lawn.

what are your favorite/ideal iems? Just curious

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what are your favorite/ideal iems? Just curious

The IEMs I've been most happy with are the archetypal analytical ones: the Etymotic ER4p. I owned and enjoyed a pair of UM1, but only for the comfort. I also own a set of "throw around" NE-7m, which aren't totally to my liking but are nice enough that I'd buy another set if I left them on a plane.

I've owned or extensively auditioned Shure 4, Westone 2, and a set UE triple-fi as well. Of those, I would have happily kept the Westone 2 if I used IEMs enough to justify them.

I'm old fashioned.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 40
Definitely fun for me.

I like catchy music that has a nice beat. Girl Talk anyone?

So my pair of ideal IEMs is the W3. Nice solid, deep, punchy bass and everything has a good depth to it giving it a sweet 3d sound. Add to it the comfort and I really get lost in the music. With my old super.fi 5 pro's, while a very fun pair of IEMs, I was always aware that I was wearing them.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 40
I feel pretty analytical but i have Triple-fis. I actually don't feel they are that treble oriented either, they have way more bass than my previous iems but the bass is punchy not flubby. I kinda was under the impression that that was what bass was supposed to sound like--ie analytical. But fun too i guess.
confused_face.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 40
Neutral/almost flat frequency response with some minor coloration in the bass/lower midrange- and no treble rolloff. I'd also prefer if there were no dips in the FQ response- only minor "humps" for the minor coloration.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
reproduce the music the way the artist intended it to be heard

That would be however the mixing room monitors sounded. Maybe, if the artist was super dedicated, it would be how the mastering room monitors sounded. Unless your headphone sounds like those, though, it's hard to be certain that what you're hearing is what you were "intended" to hear.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 40
I only experienced the last two of the list and i like them both depending of music I'm listening, but i really really want to try ER4P one day and i hope it will be some time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back