Are head-fiers "fun" or "analytical"?
Jan 15, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #17 of 40
I'd be curious to see the preferences for ideal/favorite IEM's of the people that voted

Jan 15, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #19 of 40
Hell yeah, fun - Image X10 describes it perfectly... ah the joy of those little buggers
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 40
Why is a warm/bassy sound fun? Why are neutral IEMs analytical?

A well and truly neutral sound is musical by definition. What people call an "analytical" sound is a coloration that stems from insufficient dynamic range and desaturated tone color. Both are colorations, and wouldn't exist in a well and truly neutral headphone, if there ever could be such a thing.

My personal sound is neutral tonally, dynamic, detailed, and above all else, fluid. The ES2 is a lot like that, though it could use more instrument separation, and better performance at the frequency extremes. Still, it has a very good midrange tone, rather HD600-like, is very dynamic, and is very liquid-sounding. Hopefully the UE11 or ES3X or whatever else I get my hands on next will have these virtues too.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is a warm/bassy sound fun? Why are neutral IEMs analytical?

A well and truly neutral sound is musical by definition. What people call an "analytical" sound is a coloration that stems from insufficient dynamic range and desaturated tone color. Both are colorations, and wouldn't exist in a well and truly neutral headphone, if there ever could be such a thing.

My personal sound is neutral tonally, dynamic, detailed, and above all else, fluid. The ES2 is a lot like that, though it could use more instrument separation, and better performance at the frequency extremes. Still, it has a very good midrange tone, rather HD600-like, is very dynamic, and is very liquid-sounding. Hopefully the UE11 or ES3X or whatever else I get my hands on next will have these virtues too.

To achieve something like that, the headphone would basically have to actively EQ itself to work with every sound that passes through.

Sounds like something to think about in the future. It would basically require the drivers to be somehow automatically tuned at lightning speeds.

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #26 of 40
I like more detail and forward, yet balanced sound from IEM, and most importantly, Isolation...

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #27 of 40
I must say I love my sound to be true and transparent or neutral.

My i-Qube, ER4P/S and ESW10 does just that. And to make things better I have an 80gb iPod Video with Vinnie.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely fun for me.

I like catchy music that has a nice beat. Girl Talk anyone?

I love Girl Talk and listening to it through my Shure's its a great match!
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Music should be listened to fun and little extra bass never hurt anybody!
smily_headphones1.gif

you've got it right

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #30 of 40
Analytical for at home listening for the detail; but if thats the case I'll use the big cans.

Walking around, out and about; "Fun" (as you call it) warm, bass and soundstage. I like my X10s for most everything else portable.

For me, analytical & portable doesn't make much sense. Again, this is my perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back