Are Grado SR80is durable?
Mar 10, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #16 of 35
I've considered the M80s before but I've seen a few around campus and they looked terribly gaudy. At the risk of sounding shallow I have to say there are some headphones I'd avoid just based on looks. I've seen HD555 or 595s, various Sony headphones, Monster Beats (a variety of them), some JVC models like the RX300, and the worst offenders were easily Monster Beats and the V-Moda M80s. Looks wise I just don't mind anything that looks normal, average, or even inconspicuous but damn...

How about the HD25s? I've considered them before but at the supposed focus on highs turned me away before.

Mar 10, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #17 of 35
So you aren't absolutely trashing things then. In that case, the SR80 would probably work out just fine; I'd suggest the case just to ensure they don't get mucked up (grattle or no - the foam itself can just get nasty depending on what it contacts (dust, dirt, etc)). Again, unless you're slamming them around or sitting on them, they're probably not going to break apart. The plastic is fairly durable, the cable is fairly thick, and the headband is steel under vinyl (which will bend if you attack it right, but I was thinking of sitting on it at an angle, or crushing it with a book; fairly extreme - can you tell I "get" mobile?
etysmile.gif
). 

Regarding IEMs, you'd have to ask an IEM guy; there should still be a subforum. As always, I'll suggest my C751s, but I have no idea if that's good advice; I think they're decent all-rounders and they've been quite durable over the last few years. 

Quote:
Well if it's an indication of the conditions they'll be in I carried a pair of FC700s in my pack for 2 years without any damage.

As for the IEMs, I'm using the Brainwavz M1 right now. I had (and actually still have) the Brainwavz M4 but I've personally found the quality to be a bit questionable despite the fact I like the SQ (the first pair I got turned out to be defect and the pair I have right now have some superficial issues on the 3.5mm at the very least). I'm simply not sure what IEMs will best suit me. Personally, I liked the M4's V-shape.

That aside I'm looking for headphones that can give me a different, arguably, better experience when I'm not constantly on the move.

I've heard much the same. From roughly the same lack of experience, I'd suggest much the same too.

Quote:
One other brand you may want to consider are the V-Moda line. I read an interview with the founder of the company and they are very focused on making headphones that are built like tanks. I hear they sound pretty good, too.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #18 of 35

Quote:
I've considered the M80s before but I've seen a few around campus and they looked terribly gaudy. At the risk of sounding shallow I have to say there are some headphones I'd avoid just based on looks. I've seen HD555 or 595s, various Sony headphones, Monster Beats (a variety of them), some JVC models like the RX300, and the worst offenders were easily Monster Beats and the V-Moda M80s. Looks wise I just don't mind anything that looks normal, average, or even inconspicuous but damn...

How about the HD25s? I've considered them before but at the supposed focus on highs turned me away before.

They're your best bet.
The Sennheiser HD 25 1 II.

Very durable and well made - though again, not for just tossing into a bag full of books
and expecting they'll be fine after walking around with them like that all day :)

Also quite discreet, and the sound quality is excellent in the price/size range.

They are my go-to phone for portable use, and I know I'm not alone in that.

Mar 10, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #19 of 35
I'd still strongly recommend the M-80.  They sound excellent and are built like a tank, even if they are a little bit conspicuous compared to something like the HD-25.  My biggest problem with the HD-25 is the striking treble...it gets really fatiguing pretty quickly.  But they are also built like a tank and you can buy replacement parts for literally everything from Sennheiser.

Oh, also, if you were going to be using them outside and in public it would be kind of dickish to use a Grado, since they leak so much noise that everyone in your general vicinity will be able to hear what you're listening to.  Grados are only good for using at home or in private.

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #20 of 35

Quote:
I'd still strongly recommend the M-80.  They sound excellent and are built like a tank, even if they are a little bit conspicuous compared to something like the HD-25.  My biggest problem with the HD-25 is the striking treble...it gets really fatiguing pretty quickly.  But they are also built like a tank and you can buy replacement parts for literally everything from Sennheiser.

Oh, also, if you were going to be using them outside and in public it would be kind of dickish to use a Grado, since they leak so much noise that everyone in your general vicinity will be able to hear what you're listening to.  Grados are only good for using at home or in private.

I'm worried about that treble. Are those ESW9s really that fragile? I imagined they'd be a bit more durable for portable headphones. Also, idk why that just underlined...

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #21 of 35

Quote:
I'm worried about that treble. Are those ESW9s really that fragile? I imagined they'd be a bit more durable for portable headphones. Also, idk why that just underlined...

One broken AT-ESW9 - coming up!

Mar 11, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #25 of 35

Quote:
Wow... Well I guess I'll have to put some serious consideration into the HD25s again. Though I doubt I'll buy them

That's the continuing "problem" with the HD 25 1 II's: there's nothing out there that does everything they do quite as well as they do.
The new Beyer 1350 look interesting, but I've not been tempted to listen to them because the reviews have been all over the place.
And of those I've read, most have said the Senn's are better.

Also, FWIW, I don't find them overly bright.  They've got plenty of zip and they're very dynamic.
They've got a forward presence, but the top isn't "tizzy" by any means. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #27 of 35

Quote:
That's the continuing "problem" with the HD 25 1 II's: there's nothing out there that does everything they do quite as well as they do.
The new Beyer 1350 look interesting, but I've not been tempted to listen to them because the reviews have been all over the place.
And of those I've read, most have said the Senn's are better.

Also, FWIW, I don't find them overly bright.  They've got plenty of zip and they're very dynamic.
They've got a forward presence, but the top isn't "tizzy" by any means. 

I heard the 1350 for like 10 min. I found them dry, boring and brittle, like a thin un-salted cracker, it is still food, but bairly.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #29 of 35

Broken Denon D2000's

I think all headphones are not durable man... I've never heard any miracle stories about any one headphone being tough. Although I HAVE rolled over the cable of all my Grados many times over 6 years in my computer chair with no complaints :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back