Are Grado 'phones more susceptible than others to volume damage to drivers?
Mar 3, 2009 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
I've read numerous reports of the 'grattle' (Grado rattle) that happens when Grado cans have one (or both) of the membranes of their drivers creased and wrinkled in places - causing rattling on low bass notes and channel imbalance. Does this creasing and wrinkling occur only when the cans are blasted at monstrous levels, or does it happen even at just higher-than-average listening volumes?

How loud do you have to drive your cans in order to actually damage them, and is it likely that anyone with normal hearing would listen at that level normally without knowing he/she was damaging their headphones?

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 30
Agree with obobskivich, no need to worry. I actually blasted my RS-1 at monstrous level with pink noise for 12 hours straight when I first got it, and it survived. Nothing I would recommend others to do though...

[Edit]I know hair in the driver could cause grattle, but I can not recall to have read about blown drivers... [/Edit]

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 30
Hmm. I know that my friend broke his Sonys while playing them fairly loudly for two other people (he set them down on a table and turned the volume up)... Could Grados be used for makeshift speakers more readily?

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 30
cactus: you keep citing these reports, this is the second or third thread. Where are these reports coming from? They are certainly not from this forum.

Grattle is when you get a stray hair caught in the driver screen or diaphram.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by cactus_farmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read numerous reports of the 'grattle' (Grado rattle) that happens when Grado cans have one (or both) of the membranes of their drivers creased and wrinkled in places - causing rattling on low bass notes and channel imbalance. Does this creasing and wrinkling occur only when the cans are blasted at monstrous levels, or does it happen even at just higher-than-average listening volumes?

How loud do you have to drive your cans in order to actually damage them, and is it likely that anyone with normal hearing would listen at that level normally without knowing he/she was damaging their headphones?

Where are these "numerous reports?" I'm only aware of one case in which the "grattle" you speak about was caused by a creased membrane. The guy used tape to gently pull the membrane back into place. That's it. When you hear talk about "grattle," it's normally the result of a hair making its way into the driver housing, as nor_spoon points out above.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #8 of 30
geremy,

Sorry...looks like we made the same point at the same time...

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are these "numerous reports?" I'm only aware of one case in which the "grattle" you speak about was caused by a creased membrane. The guy used tape to gently pull the membrane back into place. That's it. When you hear talk about "grattle," it's normally the result of a hair making its way into the driver housing, as nor_spoon points out above.

There was also QQQ who noted that he had creased drivers when he opened his Grado up.

It's only Grado headphones I've seen this creased driver membrane thing described about so I'm coming to the conclusion that they're more fragile than most.

But my question simply is: do you really need to go to quite extreme volumes to get the crease in the driver to develop, or will it even come with above-average listening volumes?

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

There was also QQQ who noted that he had creased drivers when he opened his Grado up.

It's only Grado headphones I've seen this creased driver membrane thing described about so I'm coming to the conclusion that they're more fragile than most.

But my question simply is: do you really need to go to quite extreme volumes to get the crease in the driver to develop, or will it even come with above-average listening volumes?

are you really going to ignore what everyone is telling you based a single user likely having a defective pair of hp's?

interesting.

in terms of "how much noise can they take", I think pete was saying that 300VDC will actually run for a few moments before damage, and anything less than that isn't even trying

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in terms of "how much noise can they take", I think pete was saying that 300VDC will actually run for a few moments before damage, and anything less than that isn't even trying

I'm sorry, I'm probably being dumb - I don't get what you mean by 300VDC?

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #12 of 30
Nothing more to see in here. I'm out...

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #13 of 30
you know, 300 volts DC current?

don't remember where the thread was, but basically with a few exceptions, most any hi-fi headphone can take a ridiculous amount of power without being damaged

@ kayito
the hp's your friend blew up were probably less than stellar drivers, and they were probably closed principle as well (two issues there, firstly back pressure on the driver, secondly he probably had them a lot louder than you'd take open 'phones to "share")

at the question about Grado drivers being in speakers, find the Grado factory tour, RS-1 drivers are featured in a couple in-house designs

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 30
Oh, ok.

But I wasn't talking about them breaking completely, I was only talking about the driver membranes becoming SLIGHTLY deformed and creased, thus resulting in a SLIGHT channel imbalance. Isn't it probable that to do this, you would require much lower sound pressure levels and current? The kind of sound pressure and current levels a listener who listens at slightly higher than average volume levels might reach?

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Oh, ok.

But I wasn't talking about them breaking completely, I was only talking about the driver membranes becoming SLIGHTLY deformed and creased, thus resulting in a SLIGHT channel imbalance. Isn't it probable that to do this, you would require much lower sound pressure levels and current? The kind of sound pressure and current levels a listener who listens at slightly higher than average volume levels might reach?

notice how there were like 4-5 posts saying this isn't the case, and most of them referenced a few sources each (or just a collective "mass" of knowledge), instead laying grattle off to hair (which is usually the cause)

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back