Are gaming headphones really just a gimmick?
Jan 9, 2019 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Avean

100+ Head-Fier
I've always been using studio headsets and always thought these plastic gaming headsets to be just awful to wear and listen to. But when Sennheiser launched theyre GSP series lineup i was kinda interested to know Sennheisers opinion on this. The sales guy could not give me the answer so he redirected me to one of theyre technicians and he had something really interesting to say and i want to hear you guys opinion on this.

I basicly said i was using HD650 at the time and he actually said the GSP 600 would kill it in gaming simply cause HD650 was designed for music while GSP 600 is designed for gaming. Then he went on to say HD650 lacks performance in the sub 80 Hz range where youre headset really need to perform to be called a "Good gaming headset".

This kinda blows the whole "Gaming headset is just a cheap headset with a microphone attached" out of the water.
I am sure this doesnt count for every gaming headset out there but it seems Sennheiser actually promote theyre GSP series for gaming even though you have an expensive studio headset. Ive tried the GSP 600 myself and its amazing for games, but horrible for music so maybe it got some truth to it? Right now im using the HD700, no idea if it lacks in the 80 Hz range or not but found what the Sennheiser technician said to be very interesting and want to learn more about it.

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #2 of 8
When I'm gaming on my pc i use normal headphones, when I'm on my ps4 i use my astro a50s for 2 reasons, they can be used wirelessly with the ps4 and they have 7.1 surround sound with the ps4 (it's actually only 5.1) so i would say the answer is both yes and no. But the only real reson to own gaming headphones imo is the fact that they will work properly with video game systems.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 8
Good gaming headsets are subjective, but I would say that really what would matter is the soundstage. Bass response can immerse you better, but if you're looking for actual performance in gaming, the soundstage is what really matters, as this is what tells you where things are. I find that most gaming headphones are lacking in this department. I personally find that my HD 598 is great for gaming, as it has a large soundstage and is very lightweight and comfortable. Occasionally, you can find a youtuber or streamer wearing a 598. Your HD 650 should work well for gaming, but it just depends what you need in your headphone.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 8
I have never used special gaming headsets. I'm not saying they couldn't make a good gaming headset, but usually what you are paying for is a mediocre microphone and lots of plastic. Koss has a new gaming headset out that looks pretty good (detachable cables, for instance) but it's vastly overpriced considering its construction is almost exclusively plastic. If they dropped the price, I'd buy one as it looks like a decent open-back design.

You don't necessarily want alot of bass in games, it just depends. Actually, Creative Labs Scout mode turns bass down so you can camp and hear footsteps better.

I'm currently using a Koss UR40 for gaming with a Soundblaster Z. I have also used Sony MDR-210's and Tascam TH-02. I use a cheap $18 dollar desktop mic, as they seem to sound better than the ones that come with headsets.

I don't think soundstage is that important, if you have a good spatialization engine in the game or in hardware/software (like Razer Surround, Dolby Atmos for headphone, etc.- there are many options). The engine will make the soundstage. What is more important is good imaging, so localization cues you hear are distinct and not smeared.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 8
On pure aesthetics I cannot stand gaming headsets. Even before I cared about audio I never really used them but did have an OG Xbox and Xbox 360 headset to chat with friends.

On my PS4 I have used a Sybia Sonic with V-Moda and SHP9500s for quite a while now and I do enjoy them. I used to use some HD555 with a Zalman mic back in the day connected to that ridiculous long cord. The great thing about the Sybia is it has a mic in along with a treble and bass boost if wanted.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset
This headset is liquid gold for a gaming headphone, for the price and the reviews this is probably the best gaming only option to get and the price is reasonable.

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 8
Being an audio guy I tend to just use a regular microphone and regular headphones for gaming. But to answer your question as someone whose been a gamer and an audio freak for a long time, I have to say I've noticed gaming headsets get more and more in line with hight quality audio. Not to say there isn't still garbage out there that's basically just a plastic cup full of magnets being sold as "high end pro gamer elite MLG gaming headset experience" for $2000. But for sure an audiophile can find a gaming headset that will impress him these days.

Jan 15, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #7 of 8
I am more thinking about what Sennheiser technician said. That studio headsets lack in sub 80hz performance where you want to have performance for gaming. I cant find anything about this anywhere. But would be interesting to learn more about it. Im using HD700 now which is known for an incredible soundstage but if it has performance sub 80Hz? No idea

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 8
I think gaming can be a very cinematic experience (well it is for me anyways). 9 times out of 10, when gaming i'll use my Denon AH-D5000, which has the best/most accurate/lowest bass of any headphone i've ever heard. What that Sennheiser technician said is 100% true. There is so much low frequency audible information contained within games nowadays, that it makes no sense to use a headphone with rolled off bass below 40 - 60Hz. It would be like watching a movie in surround sound with all 5 speakers without a subwoofer. I think when listening to music, sub-bass is not as important.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back