Are full size headphones too large to listen to while lying down?
May 2, 2006 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

minimus

500+ Head-Fier
Excuse my bizarre question...I was ready to place an order at HeadRoom when I mentioned to the sales rep that I wanted the headphones for bedtime listening. He said he thought any full-sized headphone I was considering (like the K701, HD650, K241S, etc.) would probably be too large to wear while lying in bed. Obviously, it's hard to test out his conjecture at a local audio store...so I thought someone here might be able to tell me whether he is right or not. Hopefully, he is wrong. Any horizontal listeners out there with advice?

May 2, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 23
I can listen to my 880's while in my bed. but i have to lie on my back (duh).

my old ms1's were a bit more comfortable as they are a lot smaller then the 880.

But i think it's a bit of a personal thing I guess.

May 2, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 23
Really depends on how your pillows are positioned. If proper, you can easily lie on your back without your headphones making contact with your pillows.

But unless you have a pair of cheap full-size, it's not recommended to wear them lying on your side.

May 2, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by minimus
Excuse my bizarre question...I was ready to place an order at HeadRoom when I mentioned to the sales rep that I wanted the headphones for bedtime listening. He said he thought any full-sized headphone I was considering (like the K701, HD650, K241S, etc.) would probably be too large to wear while lying in bed. Obviously, it's hard to test out his conjecture at a local audio store...so I thought someone here might be able to tell me whether he is right or not. Hopefully, he is wrong. Any horizontal listeners out there with advice?

The Headroom people do come up with the weirdest things.

I lie back all the time with large Stax phones. They do not give a physical problem, but you do get some sound reflected back from the bed/pillows, so I use a small narrow pillow under my head to get the phones clear of the surrounding pillows/bed.

May 2, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 23
With the Stax I find that the pillow pushes them up just a bit so that my ears aren't centered, but when I'm tired, I really couldn't care less.

May 3, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 23
Listening to stax in bed is a no-no, firstly the clamping force is too small, so they ride all over the place, secondly the sides of a pillow or cushion create a similar effect to moving your hands in proximity to the outside of the enclosures, creating that compressed sound effect.

HD650 is no problem for the opposite reasons, except that you gotta stay on your back of course. Floats are, sadly, just not possible.

May 3, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 23
I only listen to music at night, in bed, and have had no problems. Use a narrow pillow, or fold a full pillow in half, so that it does not contact the earpads and push them forward.

May 3, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #12 of 23
It's generally too much trouble for me with full-size headphones (K501, HD600, A500, HD555, etc.)

But supra-aural works fine - for example, HD 497 or PX100.

May 3, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #14 of 23
You shouldn't have any trouble with a fullsized can in bed. I listen to a K-501 or HD-650 all the time before drifting off and they've never bothered me. I've fallen asleep a number of times with them on, too. The only ones I won't wear in bed are the K-1000s, since the pillow gives weird dipole relfections and they don't sound right.

May 3, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 23
Get one of those nice memory foam U-shaped neck pillows like people use for travelling. They work great to give your cans a little clearance from your "main" pillow(s). The cheap ones will work also, but the Temperpedic (sp?) pillows are really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back