Are expensive cables silly squiggly snakes? Ahhh! Mine eyes!
Feb 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #346 of 1,535
Trying my stock power cable to my super expensive Iego L80229 now. I have some hundred hours on the Iego with at least some 60 on my computer (which requires an 850W PSU)...

I don´t know how you can possible say for sure there is a difference. I will have to try the AKG 701 tomorrow. If anything I feel it´s slightly less detailed in the low end a bit darker with the Iego copper cables but can just as well be placebo from my expectations really. It does feel like it flows a bit better. I would need two identical DACs at the same stage of burn in and then switch back and forth while listening I suspect to be sure if there is a difference that can´t be discarded as placebo. Maybe doesn´t help that my amp and headphones is a bit on the warm side to begin with though may have better luck with the super bright AKGs
smily_headphones1.gif

I am still running stock cables on my headphones though I hope to be able to more clearly see the difference when upgrading cables.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #347 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would need two identical DACs at the same stage of burn in and then switch back and forth while listening I suspect to be sure if there is a difference that can´t be discarded as placebo.

One option is to have the power cords attached to a CD player or DAC and then play back music samples, then record the music samples onto a PC with a suitable ADC device and recording software. This will let you see if there is any difference in the frequency response or noise levels of the analog signals. My own protocol includes recording 10 copies of each sample with each cable to average out random variations.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #348 of 1,535
Terribly diminishing returns in price vs performance. Have found great cheap speaker and power cables. Next quest is for cheap IC's. Tributaries makes great digital and video IC's at a decent price but they use the same cable (silver plated copper) for analog IC's and that doesn't work.

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #349 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you're doing with cabling is making sure you are getting the most out of your system. If I didn't get my headphone recabled, I'd probably go switch to a new headphone or look to get a more expensive amp. Getting recabled allowed me to hear my system to its fullest potential.

It's kind of like having an ultra-fast, quad-core computer, but only 512 MB of RAM. If you're using shoddy cabling, you are potentially bottlenecking your system.

If you don't believe cables don't make a difference, that's fine... But there are many, many people who've recabled and can hear a difference.

I still haven't tested enough a variety of cables to come to any conclusion on the cable matter. However, I cringed upon reading the above analogy.

Why?

Simple. RAM performance is easily quantifiable. There is no question about it. No mystery. More RAM will help your computer perform better, plain and simple. Scientifically proven. It's in the books.

However, the cable dilemma has stuck around precisely because it remains a non-quantifiable argument. Everything is hearsay (pun intended).

Does this mean I am fully against cables? no. Fully In favor? no. The honest truth is I know jack about cables. But I know about computers, and the analogy is just wrong, that's all I'm saying.

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #350 of 1,535
I'm sorry, but one thing that I have learned is that at the end of the day all the measurments and specifications in the world are entirely meaningless, within reason. When I sit down to relax and enjoy my system I am only hearing the music at the end of the chain of my equipment.

It is system synergy and personal preference that really matters, not brand, price, design, etc. Cables are included in ones system and will have an influence on the overall synergy and should be chosen with that synergy and one's personal preferences in mind. If you don't believe me, that's cool, but I've heard a good deal of equipment and cables, and differences are there. Sometimes those difference are small and other times the differences just plain knock you out. It all leads back to the overall synergy.

I don't think that it wise to really jump into cables if your rig is incomplete. First find a good match between all of your components and then fine tuning with cables is a great idea, and a lot of fun too.

Price is futile. There is a reason that I use $75 interconnects and $600 speaker cables, and it's not because I blew all my money on the speaker cables. After spending the time to experiment with different combinations, it's just where I ended up.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #351 of 1,535
"It's kind of like having an ultra-fast, quad-core computer, but only 512 MB of RAM. If you're using shoddy cabling, you are potentially bottlenecking your system."

So, compared to your system, the top studios in the world, who spend hundreds of thousands or millions on their monitoring system/evironment and about $10 a meter of cable, are bottle necked are they?

"However, the cable dilemma has stuck around precisely because it remains a non-quantifiable argument."

No, the only place there is a "cable dilemma" is in forums like this one. There is no "cable dilemma" in the world of professional audio.

G

Mar 4, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #356 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
found this interesting , i agree with this 100% based on the tests i have done.

Cables, Interconnects and Other Stuff - The Truth

Hey astroid, if you don't mind I am quoting you and putting it in the thread from my sig. Nice find.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #357 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey astroid, if you don't mind I am quoting you and putting it in the thread from my sig. Nice find.

Thats fine, it is a good article.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #358 of 1,535
Are expensive cables worth it? - A big resounding no, but that is just my opinion!

No, spending more than $50 on any cable is snake oil.

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #359 of 1,535
Why is it that none of the disbelievers have Radio Shack IC's? If cables don't make a difference then why not get the cheapest crap you can find? By your own logic a cable that passes a continuity test with a multimeter should do the trick right? "I just want it to be well built", is the worst excuse I have ever heard for buying anything but Radio Shack crap. They sit behind your stereo, and even if one did break then they cost like 3 bucks. Id also like to know why the disbelievers like to post cables in their profiles? Personally, I think its more like "If you cant afford it then somehow it becomes snake oil" regardless of performance. Anyone ever consider the 10 percent rule? http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ca...0/#post5407239

When are you guys going to stop talking trash about what other people hear? What kind of a tool do you have to be to sit around talking about what other people can hear? Tell me fellows, can you read tea leaves as well? Predict the future? What time will my mailman show up tomorrow?

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #360 of 1,535
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is it that none of the disbelievers have Radio Shack IC's? If cables don't make a difference then why not get the cheapest crap you can find? By your own logic a cable that passes a continuity test with a multimeter should do the trick right? "I just want it to be well built", is the worst excuse I have ever heard for buying anything but Radio Shack crap. They sit behind your stereo, and even if one did break then they cost like 3 bucks. Id also like to know why the disbelievers like to post cables in their profiles? Personally, I think its more like "If you cant afford it then somehow it becomes snake oil" regardless of performance. Anyone ever consider the 10 percent rule? http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/ca...0/#post5407239

When are you guys going to stop talking trash about what other people hear? What kind of a tool do you have to be to sit around talking about what other people can hear? Tell me fellows, can you read tea leaves as well? Predict the future? What time will my mailman show up tomorrow?

^^^You obviously have the wrong end of the stick. Cables do work, it is just that the outrageous prices asked for by commercial outfits are exactly that - outrageous. For the performance to price ratio asked, it is in effect snake oil. There is nothing fancy about cables, the expensive cables commercially are all about packaging to squeeze every penny from you.

Have some electronics knowledge, you will know that it is quite easy to replicate high quality results without having to burn a hole in your wallet by building and making your own cables at a fraction of the cost. However, I would respect others opinions also on the subject without going overboard!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back