Are Comply tips washable?
Mar 17, 2008 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Del Griffith

1000+ Head-Fier
I know this might be the wrong forum..but I think more will see it here. Are the comply tips sold on earphonesolutions washable like the shure black foamies? I want to order some of the shorter ones but if they are not washable I will stick with the shure. They are intended for my shure 310's. Thanks...

p.s.. I have some of the black foamies so I am familiar with them...need to order some of the small ones..thought about trying the comply shorter version being I like the regs except they feel to long.

Mar 17, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 17
Not sure, as I also use the Comply shorts and they could use a washing. I may just give it a shot and see what happens, since they are ugly right now. I use the shorts for the same reason (standards are just too big and cause pressure).

I'll report back after I give it a shot.

Mar 17, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 17
I have seen a few report that Comply lose its sponginess after washing... better search to make sure.

May 19, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prolly best to clean your ears frequently with cotton swabs!

Oh no, that's something that should be forbidden and punished. Cotton swabs push wax deeper into the ear canal, in the same way old guns were charged from their mouth and powder was compressed at its end, so the wax get accumulated and grows as big stoppers, which to make matters worse, get dried for the hydrophilic properties of cotton.
The cotton swabs were initially invented to clean wee babies belly buttons, but some idiot decided they would be great to clean ear canals. I've seen along my professional life many problems caused by cotton swabs. If you want to use them, they're your ears, but please don't advice their use to others.

Rgrds

May 19, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grossmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I clean my ears with cotton swabs, but not requently and only after the bath.
But let's go back to tips - how to clean them?

Never try to clean yourself inside your ear-canals. If needed, your Dr will do with the adequate instruments and under direct vision. Just dry your ears and with the same towle covering your fingertip, dry the outside part of the canal.
Ears were "designed" to produce wax and to clean it themselves, so regularly you'll notice that small pieces of wax come off.

Rgrds

May 20, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grossmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I clean my ears with cotton swabs, but not requently and only after the bath.
But let's go back to tips - how to clean them?

Yeah i clean mine with a cotton swab every now and then.. and my doctor said i had the best looking ear canals she ever saw. No wax buildup anywhere in the canals and a lovely celar eardrum too. So i guess it depends how carefully you do it. I can't say I can EVER remember having gunky earwax though, so maybe I'm lucky like that.

May 20, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 17
I only use cotton swabs to clean the outer "semi-circle" ring where they might have been some build up -- it feels safer than shooting shower directly at it, as it might deflect into the canals.

Any foamies for IEMs should never be washed. I tried it with the complies, black Shure foams, yellow Shure foams and even gray UE foams, and they become swollen, and do not compress enough to be useable.

Eventhough it may be expensive, they should all be replaced after some discoloration. The black Shure foams had the longestjevity though.

May 20, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #12 of 17
I ruined a whole batch of Shure olives (black foams) by washing them. They indeed swell up and don't stay compressed anymore.

That was before I found out Shure's official advice on this, at their website, which is to clean them regularly with a damp cloth.

I guess they have been impregnated with something to make them expand slowly.

May 20, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this might be the wrong forum..but I think more will see it here. Are the comply tips sold on earphonesolutions washable like the shure black foamies? I want to order some of the shorter ones but if they are not washable I will stick with the shure. They are intended for my shure 310's. Thanks...

p.s.. I have some of the black foamies so I am familiar with them...need to order some of the small ones..thought about trying the comply shorter version being I like the regs except they feel to long.

ya i wash mine, once before i toss them. they suffer no damage _except_
they dont stay compressed as long after you squeeze them down. so you need to insert them quicker. thats all. i dunno why i dont wash them a second time and just keep re-using them. i just dont. i am using the grey ones that are stock for westone's.

i let them air dry for days and days before re-use.

May 20, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #14 of 17
Did anyone try to clean them with ethyl alcohol? For example, moisten a cotton swab
smily_headphones1.gif
with ethyl alcohol and then to clean tips with that swab?

May 20, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #15 of 17
alcohol will dry the tip, making it less elastic.. I'd use warm water myself, and maybe a cotton swab to clean with. Comply tips wear out too quick for me.. i have a pair of silicone triflanges almost 2 yrs old still rocking, can't beat that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back