Are cheap headphones bad?
Apr 4, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #16 of 29
The HD-560 and HD-599 go on sale sometimes for $99 and I would add them to the list.
Yup, I picked up my HD599 for just a shade over USD$100 (factoring in exchange rate) and it's a solid pick at that price. I also picked up my Beyerdynamic DT-880 / 600 for less than $100US and I consider it to be an absurdly good bargain ... assuming you've got the amp to drive it.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #18 of 29
Cheap headphones and gear are absolutely not bad at all.

Until you hear expensive headphones and gear then try to go back.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #19 of 29
The biggest problem with the sub-$100 bracket is not that good stuff doesn't exist within it, because it definitely does. But rather, the problem is that SO MUCH GARBAGE also exists in that bracket and finding the few diamonds in that enormous rough can be daunting. A lot of times it's just easier and cheaper to move up a bracket where the hit rate is higher than experimenting and slumming in a bracket full of too much trash.

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #22 of 29
I see that almost here we don't talk about headphones under 100usd. Even if it's used, does cheap mean it's bad? Are we only talking about expensive things here?

1776124.jpg
Where can I find replacement pads for this one?

Apr 19, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #24 of 29
Apr 20, 2024 at 3:35 AM Post #26 of 29
Not bad, but a waste of time, IMHO. I spent many years playing with entry-level and medium quality headphones and speakers, thinking that the sound from these sources was good enough. I was mistaken, and I think I was wasting my best years of listening. If we are in this forum, it’s because music and sound are our main hobby, and we are lucky because with a relatively small amount of money, you can have maybe not the best, but a reference sound in your home.

It’s not like cars or other items where you need an insane amount to have the best. The entry-level is a Fiat 500, and no one takes that car into consideration in a forum talking about Lamborghinis and Ferraris.

My advice, as I said, is to not waste your hearing capabilities with mediocre stuff because you will never hear better than today, and our hearing is a treasure that deserves the best.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #28 of 29
Cheap headphones and gear are absolutely not bad at all.

Until you hear expensive headphones and gear then try to go back.
Price is an indirect guaranty of 'goodness' vs 'badness'. More important is suitability. Does a headphone check off the 'requirements' on your list? Yes: good; no: bad. This can occur across price levels. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 20, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #29 of 29
I knew a few producers who were signed at record labels who had a pair of cheap ass AKG 240 in their studio. It's why I bought it based on their recommendation as my 1st headphone.

So it cannot be a bad headphone under $100.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back