Are CDs obsolete
Dec 27, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #166 of 191

Quote:
It's still early for Kindles. I can only imagine Kindles being collectible in the future. May there will be a limited edition version that actually looks and feels like paper.

Quote:
I don't think they're obsolete. Like books, there will always be some demand for a physical item to own or collect, at least for a certain subset of people. The purely digital will never fly for many decades, if ever. It's very possible things like CDs, DVDs, and books could become more of an niche interest than for the mass market. But there will always be demand in some quarters.

the "liquid ink" looks creepy IMO...like the black oil from the x files

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #167 of 191
There's a place in Winchester, VA that sells a lot of vinyl, new and used. Placed called Earfood the Record Store
                                                                                                                                                    22 Weems Ln
                                                                                                                                                    WinchesterVA 22601                                                                                                                                                    
Quote:
Falcon-
What is your VA record store?
Since I moved here 5 years ago, I still go back to NYC every few months just for record shopping.

Dec 27, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #168 of 191

Dec 27, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #169 of 191

Quote:
There really is a wonderful experience wandering threw a used record store to find a used CD. First of all there is the fact that you may find some obscure title that you would never look to buy on Amazon,com. The other great benefit is the whole experience of looking and finding. There may be the one CD you didn't buy but were wondering about. The used store at times lets you here the CD. Sometimes they are better than expected and other times the best thing is you don't own it! I have been buying vinyl for years this way. Cool CDs are the ones out of print that were made in 1990. Even is the plastic case is cloudy you can transfer it to another new one. 

I agree....the thrill is in the hunt.

Dec 27, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #170 of 191
2L, the classical label that specialized in releasing Blu-ray Audio/SACD titles, just send me a newsletter with the following....

Quote:
We have reached a point where iTunes and MP3 has replaced the Compact Disc. I sincerely doubt any record labels will manufacture any traditional silver discs in 2011.

2L has such a good sense of humor 
biggrin.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #171 of 191
Quote:
Quote:
There really is a wonderful experience wandering threw a used record store to find a used CD. First of all there is the fact that you may find some obscure title that you would never look to buy on Amazon,com. The other great benefit is the whole experience of looking and finding. There may be the one CD you didn't buy but were wondering about. The used store at times lets you here the CD. Sometimes they are better than expected and other times the best thing is you don't own it! I have been buying vinyl for years this way. Cool CDs are the ones out of print that were made in 1990. Even is the plastic case is cloudy you can transfer it to another new one. 

I agree....the thrill is in the hunt.

Even better, when first listening to the music through your audio system en feeling rewarded by liking the music. So much so you will listen to the music several times and enjoy it more as if you just found a new treasure... I had a blast listening to Funkadelic's album "Funkadelic" on vinyl...

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #172 of 191
CD's will never become obsolete in my eyes, as long as the public library keeps on thriving, I hereby stand by CD's

Dec 27, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #173 of 191
Thanks, I will be sure to check them out.

Quote:
There's a place in Winchester, VA that sells a lot of vinyl, new and used. Placed called Earfood the Record Store
                                                                                                                                                    22 Weems Ln
                                                                                                                                                    WinchesterVA 22601                                                                                                                                                    
Quote:
Falcon-
What is your VA record store?
Since I moved here 5 years ago, I still go back to NYC every few months just for record shopping.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #174 of 191
for me the idea of buying CD's is obsolete. after using subscription music services like Rdio, i feel no need to ever buy a CD again. pair one of the music subscription services with a smartphone and you can also play all this music in your car or on the go. i'd say i do about 80% of my music listening on Rdio.com. the music sounds just as good as CD to my ears. i have A/B'ed Rdio.com against CD's that i own and ripped to FLAC and i cannot tell a difference.

for the 5-15 bucks these services cost it's a steal. a single cd costs $10-$15, so for the cost of a single cd a month i can listen to practically anything i want. i would have spent hundreds of dollars if i had purchased all of the music i have listened to in the past few months. i think this is definitely the best way to go for a music junkie.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #175 of 191
Jason - what happens if your internet goes down? What about buffering issues? What if someone doesnt want to purchase the necessary plan to use these services on a smartphone? Since I am not in possession of a smartphone, the neccesary data plan, and the phone itself, could feasibly total in excess of 1000 dollars over two years. If you buy used Cds as said earlier, you can get them for around 5 bucks apiece, truthflly, this sounds like the better deal, plus, with the CDs you get liner notes, and the ability to listen in your car and yes, the sound quality is better, in my a/b testing there was no question about which sounded better.

Anyway, artists make more money with CDs, and IMO, if its good enough to listen to one song on the album, its good enough to buy the whole thing.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #176 of 191
CD isn't dead to me as a medium of distribution or backup. It certainly is as a medium of reproduction. Any CD I buy (either new or used) is directly transformed into FLAC (or 320kbps mp3 for poorly recorded/mastered CDs) and stored on my laptop HDD, to be played through USB DACs.

There is an endless supply of used CDs around and not everything (far from it) is currenty and legally avalaible online in CD quality. I thus don't see CD dying anytime soon. However, at least to me, a cdp is as inconvenient as a turntable while having none of the strong points of a turntable. All my cdps have been sent to storage.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #177 of 191
my internet very very rarely goes down and when it does, i can simply tether my smartphone to my laptop instead. i never have any buffering issues. i understand your point about the data plan on a smartphone. i use my smartphone in my car, my stereo has an aux input that i hook the phone to so i have the listening in the car covered.

you've actually used Rdio? there really is no obvious difference in sound quality. Rdio's streams seem to be of high quality. A/B testing was done using the computer rig in my sig which is good equipment. if the quality was bad i would have noticed it.

EDIT: i just A/B ed a few more songs and i still cannot tell a difference. i also looked it up online and Rdio's streams are all either 256 or 320kbps mp3, so the quality is definitely there. if you consider 320kbps mp3's to sound bad, then i am glad that i don't have your ears.

Quoted from Macworld.com: "Rdio streams MP3 content at up to 320 kbps. Both Mog and Rdio must use phrases like “up to X kbps” because one major label provides streams no higher than 256 kbps."

Quote:
Jason - what happens if your internet goes down? What about buffering issues? What if someone doesnt want to purchase the necessary plan to use these services on a smartphone? Since I am not in possession of a smartphone, the neccesary data plan, and the phone itself, could feasibly total in excess of 1000 dollars over two years. If you buy used Cds as said earlier, you can get them for around 5 bucks apiece, truthflly, this sounds like the better deal, plus, with the CDs you get liner notes, and the ability to listen in your car and yes, the sound quality is better, in my a/b testing there was no question about which sounded better.

Anyway, artists make more money with CDs, and IMO, if its good enough to listen to one song on the album, its good enough to buy the whole thing.

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #178 of 191
The type of music you listen to determines whether you find services like streaming useful or not. For those with little interest in fidelity streaming audio is fine, as the music is a passive experience. I was one of these people during my years at college.

However, now that I work and have time for my pursuits. I dim the lights, switch on my SACD, DVDA or CD and absorb the music. As good as downloading music can be, even a 160GB system is only going to be able to hold a couple of hundred ALAC/ WAV or FLAC albums. Most of my loss less music is from my own CD collection. There are a couple of albums which I was able to get legally from the artists. Radiohead and Arcade Fire I think. 

I have started buying Deutsche Gramaphon CDs again, and make an event of listening to music exclusively. I listened to the alpine symphony last night and was blown away by how much you get by concentrating on nothing but the music. A lot of people find this "boring" but to enjoy music you must treat it with the respect that it deserves and I think the short of attention span generation who command the music economy now will unfortunately drive down the need for quality audio. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #179 of 191
I definitely don't consider CD's obsolete. Sure, they can take up a lot of room, even with a moderately large collection of 1000+ like I have, but barring a fire or some other catastrophe, I'll always have them there. Backing everything up to a hard drive can be convenient for some people I guess, but having had several HDD's bite the dust in the last 12-15 years, I don't trust them for something as important to me as music, and redundant backups are a pain. I don't buy as many as I used to, but I probably still pick up a couple dozen CD's a year on average.

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #180 of 191
Jason, services like it, in my experience, have issues with sound quality, notably grooveshark or most any internet radio, and when I a/b 320 kbps vs. ALAC, ALAC sounds much better to my ears, with more detail and a warmer sound. Part of the issue is my internet connection is incredibly slow at this point in time, but I suppose for some it would work, for some it wouldnt. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back