Are CD cases too weak ?
Mar 30, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #16 of 38
The number of broken CD cases available seems to rise exponentially with the number of little kids in the house.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #17 of 38
Absolutely. They get damaged way too easily. :/ I started using cd cases, but then I also like the cd album art. *sighs* We need sturdier cases!

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #18 of 38
I hardly don't have any broken cd-cases. I buy them, copy them onto my hardrive and put them away. Not long ago I ordered one from internet..that one was broken. But maybe I am just fortunate that I only have new bought cd's since my old collection had been stolen once
mad.gif

But yeahh, they could have been more sturdier.

Mar 30, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 38
I've been lucky, I've kept my CDs fairly well protected from the kids. A good thing cause my CDs seem to last longer than my hard drives!!
tongue.gif

....I should have done SOMETHING though. About four years ago all my vinyl was lost in a flood.
frown.gif

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #22 of 38
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't they design the SACD cases to be stronger?

Mar 30, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #23 of 38
I think they are way too flimsy, but it doesn't bug me too much as each part is replaceable. Unfortunately the same can't be said for cardboard cases.

Mar 30, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #24 of 38
Hellishly! I never do anything with my CD cases - they sit in a tower after I rip their contents - and a large number of them have developed mysterious scratches. Quite perplexing, really.

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #25 of 38
I think the SACD cases are nicer... paradoxically, I never take my SACDs out of my place. Obviously, CD cases are made out of the cheapest plastic possible... I think a vendor making higher-grade replacement jewel cases would make a decent buck (scribbles business plan furiously on napkin). That also explains why the cases scratch at the first opportunity, and why they snap at the hinges, crack at the front and back, and snap off at the CD holders when shipped roughly.

Jewel cases are still one of the only means of transport that prevent scratches to the actual CD surfaces... I find that CD wallets and books scratch up CDs quite badly. So a bunch of 2-disc, high-quality jewel cases would be my preferred mode of CD luggage.

Mar 31, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #26 of 38
Some observations/opinions/pig-headed comments:

The two poll questions seem blatantly worded to get you the poll results you want.

CD jewelboxes are delicate, but it's a minor annoyance, as each part can be replaced and the paper inserts moved to the new parts assembly. Try that with an LP sleeve, or a DVD box. I keep a box, and not a small one, of jewelbox spare parts. They are easy to buy in bulk.

There are many CD holder designs, from the small LP-style sleeves, to tin boxes, to various plastic thingies. My favorite is a jewelbox with an articulated hub which is hinged as you open or close the case. On closing, it locks the CD down solidly. You don't have to yank or twist it to get it out, as it releases the CD entirely upon opening. I only have one, and I think it came with a MOFI or Fresh Aire CD.

I wonder if there is a market for a die-cast metal jewelbox.
Oh, and with a latch.

Laz

Mar 31, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #27 of 38
I wouldn't mind them using DVD cases if they made them smaller. There is no reason you need another inch and a half on all sides of a dvd

May 14, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #29 of 38
OMG....I think my reply will be so anal....

The answer to the original question is....yes and no. As a CD collector, I'd never imagine myself storing my CDs outside of their original jewel cases, which in many cases, adds to the value of the disc. Jewel cases used to be made much more sturdier than what's available right now. Just ask anyone who has had contact with the early smooth-sided CD jewel cases....those are extremely tough. Manufacturers nowadays cheap out and produce jewel cases that can even stand up to the slightest wear and tear. Go to any retailers and pick up cases from the likes of Fellowes....junk!!

However, there are tough CD jewel cases around. Yes, it's expensive but they are well worth the $$$. I am talking about Allsop's virtually indestructable CD jewel case. Google it and check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back