Are bullet plug connectors better?
Oct 8, 2003 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 21
bplug-front_exp.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 21
somone to compare a cable with these on it to another same brand cable with other connectors?

Oct 8, 2003 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamZuf
somone to compare a cable with these on it to another same brand cable with other connectors?

HMS, one of the leading German cable manufacturers, has replaced the RCAs on its top phono cable with the Bullet plugs and received very good reviews following that change.

Townshend, whose Isolda DCT 300 ICs I am using, are now offering them with bullet plugs, too. The ICs (which sound marvellous, by the way) are still available with the "original" Neutrik plugs that are comparable to the bullet plugs in the sense that they have a body with very little metal content.

Silversmith, one of the world's most exclusive cable manufacturers, uses the bullet plugs for his interconnects, and they are so expensive, he could use any other plug available without any material effect on the price.

Finally, Hartmut Janssen, of audio physic and Aamazon Audio Components fame, has told me that the bullet plugs sound great.

This said, I have not yet done any A/B testing.

Oct 8, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 21
"Fast heating solder platforms"
All plugs have solder platforms. Either your soldering iron is up to the task or it isn't.

"Tellurium Copper (CuTe)"
Interesting page on Tellurium:
http://pearl1.lanl.gov/periodic/elements/52.html
Seems its main advantage is that it improves machinability of copper. "probably toxic" says Los Alamos National Laboratory.

"contact pins provide up to 320% greater conductivity than standard brass pins."
Does this mean the resistance of brass pins is 3.2 times as high as CuTe pins? Note well the weasel words "up to". Figures to back up the claim of 320% greater conductivity? No, I don't think we'll be seeing those.

"Compatible with all RCA sockets"
So you won't have to return them and demand a refund! Yay!

"Direct 24k gold plating"
Who doesn't do this?

"Engineer-grade"
What? What engineer? Who graded it?

"polymer collar"
plastic collar

"secure firm fit"
Very firm! Requires too much effort to connect and disconnect.

"will not vibrate loose"
Really important, in case your amp is mounted on a jackhammer.

"single return contact"
will scratch furrows into the RCA connectors on your expensive equipment. Really!

"similar approach to star earthing"
Similar in looks, if you didn't understand star earthing, I suppose.

"eddy current distortion"?
pseudoscience and bollocks!

Try Neutrik Profi. Reasonably priced, connects ground before signal, sturdy, easy to assemble. I tried several kinds including the "bullet plugs" and they came out on top. Well actually I like WBT plugs more, but you pay about $60 a pair for those. I heard slight degradation in sound when using old, old dirty RCAs I had sitting in a box but no difference between WBT, Neutrik, Eichmann, Cardas and others.

Quote:

Do they somehow make better contact, and hence transmit a fuller signal?

No but if you believe this you might buy them. That would be the idea of the image...

Oct 8, 2003 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Try Neutrik Profi. Reasonably priced, connects ground before signal, sturdy, easy to assemble.

These are the ones that I have my Isoldas terminated with and also my Nordost Quattro-Fil tonearm cable. Very good plugs indeed!

aeberbach, are you familiar with the OZ brand Bocchino? Any views?

Oct 8, 2003 at 8:47 AM Post #8 of 21
Very interesing. Sounds like they're more or less a bunch of marketing BS, like a lot of expensive cable technologies. Visiting IC producer sites, it seems like many are making buller plugs a costly additional upgrade to their "standard" producs. Looks to me like $$ is the reason, not sound quality. Maybe when I'm as loaded as the "Governator" I'll give them a try.

Oct 8, 2003 at 8:51 AM Post #9 of 21
Yeah, my view is that they probably don't sound any better than Neutrik but at his prices I'm content to leave it at "probably". I'd rather buy more music.

And I think he should pay someone to design a real web site. It's full of little problems. You'd expect the manufacturer of the world's most expensive connectors to have a real domain. And it's full of laughable quotes too...

"I am still astonished as to how a manufacturer of an excellent cable terminates the excellent Copper or silver metals into resistors ( Brass connectors ) at both ends!"

A brass connector is not a resistor unless you want to take the definition of "resistor" to stupid extremes. Copper, even his special copper, has a finite resistance also - in which case he also is guilty of peddling "resistors". I'm astonished too!

And the best quote of all...

"Secondly you are paying for a lot of marketing hype to get you to part with your money for a well packaged dream"

I can't agree more!

Oct 8, 2003 at 9:04 AM Post #10 of 21
aeberbach, you made me LOL on your first post
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 21
Bullet plugs have been widely known to yeild superior performance. Search Audio asylum, the DIY cable threads (and several commercial cable reviews/impressions) are overflowing with praise for the Eichmann bullet plugs. There are many instances of people comparing identical cables with and without the bullet connector.

-dd3mon

Oct 8, 2003 at 4:33 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
"Direct 24k gold plating"
Who doesn't do this?

This is not done quite often, as fas as I know. Especially with thinner gold platings, there's often a nickel layer below to prevent the gold layer from diffusing into the metal below over time, so I was told by an engineer...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 8, 2003 at 6:52 PM Post #15 of 21
removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back