Are Beyerdynamic DT990Pro/250 Ohm considered hard to drive?
Jan 9, 2008 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

gdl357

100+ Head-Fier
Just want to know before I decide on how powerfull of an amp I really need.
They are the New Pro models

Thx

Jan 9, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 10
they will not have full potential just as most phones without a good amp. a good amp will supply not only gain but enough voltage to make the bass rumble and not distort on the crispy high end either. the dt990 are a good and even great phone. they will sound good from anything. however, they may be a little quiet from say an ipod or cowon player.

with an amp, they will be their best (assuming you get an amp that supplies current well) but good headphones unless they are truly power hungry (k1000) will sound great from a lemon.

Jan 9, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 10
No - you can expect a quality Portable (eg. a Xin Supermacro will handle them well). Please remember that ohm rating is not the only applicable criteria. There is also the sensitivity rating, which is an important consideration........and can turn your world upside down.
Which are you considering - portable, or home amp.? If you were talking about dt990/600 - then you would be talking about a serious amp as might be needed for k340, k1000, and some others.

Jan 9, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 10
990s are actually relatively easy to drive since they are pretty sensitive headphones. I've even driven my 600 ohms sans amp with satisfying results. So don't worry about the strength of the amp. Concentrate on the SQ. By the way, my 990/600 sound quite delicious from my little Pico.
cool.gif

Jan 9, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No - you can expect a quality Portable (eg. a Xin Supermacro will handle them well). Please remember that ohm rating is not the only applicable criteria. There is also the sensitivity rating, which is an important consideration........and can turn your world upside down.
Which are you considering - portable, or home amp.? If you were talking about dt990/600 - then you would be talking about a serious amp as might be needed for k340, k1000, and some others.

Home amp. I am looking at the RSA HR-2 but the only thing holding me back is the extra $400.00 compared to other amps on the market which are all around $400 - $500 ish.

I don't understand the difference between running DT990 on a Hornet M and running it on a HR-2 at tripple the price. If a portable can do a good job of blowing my ears and at the same time save me big cash, then this is the route I will take. I know SQ plays a roll, but is it worth 3 times the money spent unless it it a huge difference?

I would definitely see myself using a portable amp way more than a home amp, so this would be an even better investment.

I would like to answer my own question, but that would take $1300.00 of cash tofind the answer. Maybe someone can chime in.

Thx

Jan 9, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 10
I have a pair of the old 990 and am using a Little Dot II for home amp amd a Go Vibe 5 for portable amp. If your looking for concert level volume you won't get it with these amps but you will get a comfortable volume that brings out the detail these phones can give you. I recently got the go vibe and am listening only with battery power with very good results, the bass is nice and tight with decent slam....pretty good for $50!

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 10
they're easy to drive to high volumes, but i'll tell you right now without an amp you're going to get boomy bass and somewhat grainy highs. it'll be lacking in "punch" and dynamics.

Sep 1, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 10
There is cheap Topping NX1s portable headphone amplifier claiming to drive up to 300ohms.

Is it really good for making DT990 Edition 250ohms louder when plugging to the following?

Opus#1
ASUS Xonar D1
LG G6 with Quad DAC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back