Are audiophiles really music lovers or just geeks with money to spend?
Aug 9, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #31 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A fine mix of all of them I would say. Some are in...
* Mainly for the music, and don't care all that much about the gear. As long as it "get the job done".
* Mainly for the gear, and don't care all that much about the music. As long as the gear is rare, old, beautiful, expensive, or whatever.
* Somewhere in between. They love music, but also care about the gear. Then strive to find the gear that bring the most out of their music.

I am certainly part of the last group.
popcorn.gif

Nice summary
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #32 of 123
I love music first, and always try to get gear that make the music I like sound its best, otherwise it makes no sense to me...i get music every week, DVD's CDs, downloads etc....it is true that I have a few things that will sum up a few bucks but, trust me that the price was the last thing that influenced me while getting them, if item x sounds better than y to me, I will get x regardless of price and regardless of what others say about my election...

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #34 of 123
From my experience, usually a lot of the gear headed "audiophile" type of people who seem to prefer gear more over music are the home theatre enthusiasts.

To them, tubes or higher quality amp, vinyl, high end DAC, etc is an after thought. They are more inclined to get the more expensive speakers and TV screen and budget on the rest of the gear.

I think an audiophile who prefers gear over music is rare though. Many high end audio gear owners are lovers of jazz or at least classical music. IMO, people who appreciate jazz and such are more serious music appreciators but of course it is possible to be a lover of metal and pop and rock and still be a serious music lover too.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #35 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well many like me havent realized that money is better spent on girls than headphones, but then again....headphones wont say "no" to you
wink.gif

uh....what the heck are you doing with your headphones?

I love music and I love gear. I love it when the gear is good enough that you can disappear into the music, and then forget about the gear entirely, forget it's even there, but first, you have to pay a lot of time and attention to finding the gear that will get you there, and more than a few dollars along the way.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #36 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by jumpinjohn1234 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well many like me havent realized that money is better spent on girls than headphones, but then again....headphones wont say "no" to you
wink.gif

That combined with team squirrel...

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #37 of 123
It does make me wonder when I see a lot of similar posts stating how their latest gear "makes the new Creed album sound amazing..."

I mean, are they really in it for the music? Really?

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #38 of 123
That is such a funny title for a post. And there is probably a lot of truth to it. All these rich guys spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on audiophile systems. Do they sit back and enjoy the music? I wonder. Because next year they own something different. Does it ever sound like real music? No.

Aug 9, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #41 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plenty of people buy cars they will never drive.

Now those are in a different category. Those are collectors.
You cannot compare collectors with users.

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #42 of 123
There's a handful of snide, nasty little pecker heads I've run across here that don't amount to much in spite of their wealth and knowledge. They also seem to be the fanatics whose main goal is pursuing idolatry rather than enjoying what they have.

There's a lot more helpful enthusiasts though, and they are the soul of this place. The collective wisdom of shared experiences on such obscure topics as tube rolling on a particular amp is a great resource.

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #43 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodeToad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a handful of snide, nasty little pecker heads I've run across here that don't amount to much in spite of their wealth and knowledge. They also seem to be the fanatics whose main goal is pursuing idolatry rather than enjoying what they have.

Wow, that's quite an indictment coming from someone who has only been here a couple months. I've run into more than a few immature posters, and some can be jerky, and there can be some heated discussion, even between friends, and more between folks that always disagree, but I'm really at a loss to think of who the heck you'd be talking about here, unless you set it up so that people snapped at you. Did you?

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #45 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP. My question to you is, why would audiophiles spend so much money if it wasn't to fully enjoy the music they love?

Eh, coz they can?
Anyway, I've had a sleep now and feel much less cynical. Much aided by my bedside rig of Cowen M5, PK1s and Mini3 amp (mogami miniquad interconnect, terminated with switchraft jacks).
Oh, see what I've done there, I've exposed myself as a geek
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back