Are audiophiles really music lovers or just geeks with money to spend?
Aug 9, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #61 of 123
I used to enjoy music with any bitrate file, a crappy mp3 player and buds blasting on the bus.

Now i still use lossy, but have an mp3 player i adore, and my Livewires. The sound is blocked out on the bus, so better for my hearing, and i am isolated. I enjoy my music much more. With a bit of tweaking on the d2's fantastic effects i have the highs i love, and tons of bass, which i put in impotance after highs! My feet tap like crazy when i come to a song i love in my collection which i have heard and didnt know i had, or know the name of, or not heard recently.

If i only i could get that sound i love even more out of my laptop as a source... EQ tweaking time... The d2 effects are easy to use and so much better though. I go over the top with eq and it sound like crap.

So i enjoy my music more, and love going through it by album art (finally after days of tagging last year!)

I enjoy my music more now i have sort of learnt what sounds i like, but when i hear a bad reocrding or very low bitrate or badly ripped track i have to turn it off now days. Livewires are sensetive to bad recordings/rips...

I am finally content, Cx300's were too bassy (enlightenment brings me to head-fi) i then think i hate bass, buy ER6i's, no bass, get livewires, balanced all round but 100x better too, kick and sparkle, then the d2 has made the sound even more fun, and i love the little fella!

All i want now is a balanced sounding home headphone for use with my U Control DAC and Cmoy amp.

Oneday i want to see if UE11's are much better than my LW's, and get a pico for portable use too. I will then use the pico with a laptop and balanced sounding closed headphone or UE11 in the lounge at mums or bedside at mums, and lastly at dads house (transportable) and with a millet and headphone with PC in room at mums.

Then i will be even more totally content, and my digital music collection will be even bigger and more enjoyable then, and EAC will be better, and i wont worry about my bitrates, unless under 96k, as to me, they sound great, and i have tested lossless vs lossy amped and unamped with top IEM's, and i hear no huge difference, and i still love and enjoy the balanced sounding music i love.

I use senn MX500's in quiet locations where i feel better/safer/more comfortable with buds in, which sound balanced, but dont have the sparkle and kick the LW's do, so dulled down. I tried my CX300's again last night, and they sound dead. No highs, boomy bass, could even fix it with some fantastic d2 effects, so i gave them to my sister, who we discovered last night when seeing what we all listen at and think is safe listens to buds far too loud on the bus...

Matt

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #62 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face_2.gif

Of course they do. Why would they not?
What do you know of "these rich guys" that makes you say this?

Oh, I was just being facetious. I just thought this post was funny.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #63 of 123
I really think many audiophiles are sadly not really true music lovers......even though they will tell you just the opposite to rationalize thier obsession with gear collecting and tinkering.

Many people here with the most expensive systems and largest collections of gear make almost no detailed posts about music here.......which supposedly is what they really love most.

Seems people who show the most interest in music by posting many detailed thoughts in the music thread and love to actually discuss music have relatively modest systems and want to spend more time discussing music

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #64 of 123
I'm a music lover and an audiophile. But in that order. I get as much out of a Caruso record from 1908 as I do an SACD from 2008. The music is what matters.

See ya
Steve

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #65 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really think many audiophiles are sadly not really true music lovers......even though they will tell you just the opposite to rationalize thier obsession with gear collecting and tinkering.

Many people here with the most expensive systems and largest collections of gear make almost no detailed posts about music here.......which supposedly is what they really love most.

Seems people who show the most interest in music by posting many detailed thoughts in the music thread and love to actually discuss music have relatively modest systems and want to spend more time discussing music

Or, many of us belong to other sites where we discuss music, or are out and about seeing live shows and concerts. I come here to learn about and talk about gear, as well as gab nonsense with a few friends. If one were to look at my posts in the music forum, one would assume I don't listen to music at all, but that's not true. This is one of few sites where we can talk about gear, so that's what I often choose to do when I'm here.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #66 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to enjoy music with any bitrate file, a crappy mp3 player and buds blasting on the bus.

Now i still use lossy, but have an mp3 player i adore, and my Livewires. The sound is blocked out on the bus, so better for my hearing, and i am isolated. I enjoy my music much more. With a bit of tweaking on the d2's fantastic effects i have the highs i love, and tons of bass, which i put in impotance after highs! My feet tap like crazy when i come to a song i love in my collection which i have heard and didnt know i had, or know the name of, or not heard recently.

If i only i could get that sound i love even more out of my laptop as a source... EQ tweaking time... The d2 effects are easy to use and so much better though. I go over the top with eq and it sound like crap.

So i enjoy my music more, and love going through it by album art (finally after days of tagging last year!)

I enjoy my music more now i have sort of learnt what sounds i like, but when i hear a bad reocrding or very low bitrate or badly ripped track i have to turn it off now days. Livewires are sensetive to bad recordings/rips...

I am finally content, Cx300's were too bassy (enlightenment brings me to head-fi) i then think i hate bass, buy ER6i's, no bass, get livewires, balanced all round but 100x better too, kick and sparkle, then the d2 has made the sound even more fun, and i love the little fella!

All i want now is a balanced sounding home headphone for use with my U Control DAC and Cmoy amp.

Oneday i want to see if UE11's are much better than my LW's, and get a pico for portable use too. I will then use the pico with a laptop and balanced sounding closed headphone or UE11 in the lounge at mums or bedside at mums, and lastly at dads house (transportable) and with a millet and headphone with PC in room at mums.

Then i will be even more totally content, and my digital music collection will be even bigger and more enjoyable then, and EAC will be better, and i wont worry about my bitrates, unless under 96k, as to me, they sound great, and i have tested lossless vs lossy amped and unamped with top IEM's, and i hear no huge difference, and i still love and enjoy the balanced sounding music i love.

I use senn MX500's in quiet locations where i feel better/safer/more comfortable with buds in, which sound balanced, but dont have the sparkle and kick the LW's do, so dulled down. I tried my CX300's again last night, and they sound dead. No highs, boomy bass, could even fix it with some fantastic d2 effects, so i gave them to my sister, who we discovered last night when seeing what we all listen at and think is safe listens to buds far too loud on the bus...

Matt

I must say that some of the best, and most insightful posts are by our younger members. I remember being 15 and absolutely in love- actually obsessed- with music. I still am, but at 33 its not the priority it used to be- with everything else in my life.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #67 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, many of us belong to other sites where we discuss music, or are out and about seeing live shows and concerts. I come here to learn about and talk about gear, as well as gab nonsense with a few friends. If one were to look at my posts in the music forum, one would assume I don't listen to music at all, but that's not true. This is one of few sites where we can talk about gear, so that's what I often choose to do when I'm here.

Same here. Moreover the few times I've participated on music discussions I feel like speaking to the void.

Rgrds

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #68 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd go so far as to say the average person, with a $40 mp3 player, 128kbs music, and $5 earbuds enjoys listening to their music more than at least 50% of the membership of this site, because they don't let the equipment get in the way of loving music.

Well, don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back too hard.
rolleyes.gif

That's a pretty cynical, self-serving point of view....and flame-baiting too, IMHO. Oh, and it's also hogwash.

For one thing, the "average person" doesn't IMHO "listen" to music at all, but uses it more as pleasant background noise. That's not what most of the folks here are all about.

In my experience, most folks here (there are always exceptions) are here precisely because they love music. There's a certain amount of pride that folks take in their equipment and the way that it captures the realism that they seek. I think you're mistaking that for something else.

It's true that audiophiles sometimes get a bad rap. I, for one, would much prefer to be called "stereo wierdo", because of the negative connotations that sometimes come along with the term. Like others, I've run into "that guy" who buys an expensive audio rig (and cops an attitude about it) strictly to brag and attempt to impress with his experise. This guy is like that wine guy who is such a wine snob that he's forgotten the simple enjoyment of wine. Think Miles from the movie Sideways...

I love music...particularly when it is reproduced with realism and impact. That said, some of the most enjoyable moments that I have as a listener come in my car, with my crappy car stereo and road noise to "distract" me. I also have spent a not insignificant chunk of change to improve my listening experience for those occasions when I'm able to immerse myself in music. That I might, from time to time, comment about those aspects of that rig which could be improved does not mean that I don't enjoy the music when listening.

So a little less attitude would be appreciated, please. Thanks...

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #69 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back too hard.
rolleyes.gif

That's a pretty cynical, self-serving point of view....and flame-baiting too, IMHO. Oh, and it's also hogwash.

For one thing, the "average person" doesn't IMHO "listen" to music at all, but uses it more as pleasant background noise. That's not what most of the folks here are all about.

In my experience, most folks here (there are always exceptions) are here precisely because they love music. There's a certain amount of pride that folks take in their equipment and the way that it captures the realism that they seek. I think you're mistaking that for something else.

It's true that audiophiles sometimes get a bad rap. I, for one, would much prefer to be called "stereo wierdo", because of the negative connotations that sometimes come along with the term. Like others, I've run into "that guy" who buys an expensive audio rig (and cops an attitude about it) strictly to brag and attempt to impress with his experise. This guy is like that wine guy who is such a wine snob that he's forgotten the simple enjoyment of wine. Think Miles from the movie Sideways...

I love music...particularly when it is reproduced with realism and impact. That said, some of the most enjoyable moments that I have as a listener come in my car, with my crappy car stereo and road noise to "distract" me. I also have spent a not insignificant chunk of change to improve my listening experience for those occasions when I'm able to immerse myself in music. That I might, from time to time, comment about those aspects of that rig which could be improved does not mean that I don't enjoy the music when listening.

So a little less attitude would be appreciated, please. Thanks...

I'm not patting myself on the back. A quick look at my listed equipment would show that I'm not part of the group that I was describing, also.

Yes, plenty of people now use music as background noise while doing other things. I do it myself when I'm at work. But the elite, snobbish point of view that if someone doesn't spend $XX,XXX amount of money on equipment and uses generic, nothing-special headphones and iTunes quality music enjoys music any less than someone who spent $30,000 on their system gets rather annoying, especially when it's trotted out on a leash every day. You might not believe it, but some people don't need to take out a second mortgage to finance an amp just to enjoy actively listening to music.

My observations here have run completely opposite of what you say the norm is. So be it. My observations are my own, your opinions are your own. Neither of us is going to convince the other to think differently, and I wasn't really trying to do that in the first place. That's not to say you were doing anything but expressing your own opinion, either.

I don't have an attitude going. If you want to view someone making a candid statement without all the obsequious groveling seemingly required around here to not piss off people who think differently constitutes "having an attitude," well, you're quite welcome to think that. If the audio dilettantes around here take offense to the fact that I think it's funny that they listen to their equipment, and not their music, well, that's that. I've never been too worried about offending people. And while you have, and I'm sure will continue to do so, defended the fact that said dilettantes who spend thousands enjoy their music as much as us "unwashed and unlettered commoners" like myself, from where I stand, it sure doesn't look that way. I'm sure there are plenty of people like yourself who do enjoy music without being too bothered by equipment, but here's a serious question to ponder - how many of those people you're defending do you think would still listen to their music if they only had a $10 radio and a stack of cassettes to listen to it with?

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #71 of 123
Quote:

But the elite, snobbish point of view that if someone doesn't spend $XX,XXX amount of money on equipment and uses generic, nothing-special headphones and iTunes quality music enjoys music any less than someone who spent $30,000 on their system gets rather annoying, especially when it's trotted out on a leash every day. You might not believe it, but some people don't need to take out a second mortgage to finance an amp just to enjoy actively listening to music.

I think that folks who spend less money on music, equipment, and so on are demonstrating that they place less of a priority on music than someone with equal means who spends significantly more. Ergo, they would seem (generally, with exceptions as noted before) to "enjoy" music less than someone who makes a larger commitment of resources to music and gear. This seems obvious to me...don't know why it doesn't to you.

For that matter, you seem to feel like these folks MUST love their music less, because they are (in your view) merely listening to their equipment. What, I wonder, do you suppose that they are listening to on their equipment? Pink noise?

Quote:

I don't have an attitude going. If you want to view someone making a candid statement without all the obsequious groveling seemingly required around here to not piss off people who think differently constitutes "having an attitude," well, you're quite welcome to think that. If the audio dilettantes around here take offense to the fact that I think it's funny that they listen to their equipment, and not their music, well, that's that. I've never been too worried about offending people. And while you have, and I'm sure will continue to do so, defended the fact that said dilettantes who spend thousands enjoy their music as much as us "unwashed and unlettered commoners" like myself, from where I stand, it sure doesn't look that way.

Well, gosh folks...I think we've found ourselves a troll.
rolleyes.gif

It's all well and fine to make statements designed to provoke discussion. It's another thing altogether to attempt to ignite a flame war. It's the difference between being opinionated and an opinionated jerk.

But then I forgot...you've never been too worried about offending people.

Sorry that all us folks and our discussion about our gear seemingly puts you off. We'll all strive to be better people in the future.
rolleyes.gif

I would point out, though, that the way you appear to be sneering down your nose at "at least 50%" of us does seem remarkably similar to that behavior that you seem to attribute to others. Again, don't pat yourself on the back too hard.

Quote:

here's a serious question to ponder - how many of those people you're defending do you think would still listen to their music if they only had a $10 radio and a stack of cassettes to listen to it with?

I would be surprised if any of us would simply stop listening to music if we had to give up our fancy rigs. That's how most of us came to love music in the first place. For me, the old cassette tapes in a Sony Walkman with crappy headphones was a jumping off point...and I'm not the only one.

That you aparently want to think otherwise IMHO illustrates both a lack of understanding of where most of us are coming from, and indicates that you feel like you're somehow better than the folks who hang out here. Well, don't mean to put you off...feel free to find a place to hang out where you feel more comfortable.

Or, in the alternative, try not to think quite so much of yourself...it's tiresome.

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #72 of 123
Quote:

here's a serious question to ponder - how many of those people you're defending do you think would still listen to their music if they only had a $10 radio and a stack of cassettes to listen to it with?

That's a real talk right here. Agreed.

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #73 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No.

Quote:

I don't have an attitude going. If you want to view someone making a candid statement without all the obsequious groveling seemingly required around here to not piss off people who think differently constitutes "having an attitude," well, you're quite welcome to think that. If the audio dilettantes around here take offense to the fact that I think it's funny that they listen to their equipment, and not their music, well, that's that. I've never been too worried about offending people. And while you have, and I'm sure will continue to do so, defended the fact that said dilettantes who spend thousands enjoy their music as much as us "unwashed and unlettered commoners" like myself, from where I stand, it sure doesn't look that way. I'm sure there are plenty of people like yourself who do enjoy music without being too bothered by equipment, but here's a serious question to ponder - how many of those people you're defending do you think would still listen to their music if they only had a $10 radio and a stack of cassettes to listen to it with?

So if I understand it correctly, you are only here to pick a fight.
I think you could use some professional help, really.
But I'm afraid that might be just a bit too expensive and elitist for you to seriously consider.
redface.gif

Besides, you might get civilized, and where's the fun in that, right? Wouldn't fit your image at all.
frown.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #74 of 123
Quote:

I play fifty cent 78s on a suitcase Victrola with a steel needle on the patio of Starbucks on the weekend. Does that count?

See ya
Steve

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #75 of 123
Kees, i thought i explained my point of view in the post above.
Yes, Audiophiles don't love music. To me it's even a offensive term. Any "-philia" is not attracting to me. Any "-philia" is obsession and obsession is not a love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back