Are any DAPs compatible with high capacity SDXC?
Sep 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

db579

New Head-Fier
A lot of DAPs around right now seem to support sd cards of various sorts (android phones to iBasso etc..) but most say only up to 32gb or sometimes 64gb.

Since there are already 128gb sdxc cards available and the standard allows for up to 2tb cards to be produced in the next few years I'm wondering whether any DAP supports the 128gb and would support higher memory once if and when they're released? (Ideally without them having to be fat32 formatted since I think this limits individual file size<4gb?)

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 5
the biggest problem, from what i understand, is what you've already touched on, the filesystem. 

we can format 128gb and 64gb cards to fat32 but the problem is now syncing in windows. so now we have to go through this process of removing the card, using an SDXC usb adapter then put the card back in. 

android DAPs with ice cream sandwich should have no problems, as NTFS is supported in ICS. 

for the rest, like the sansa's or hifiman or whatnot, all it would take is a firmware update that allowed the software to read exFAT or NTFS.

so i suppose if something like the cowon z2 (which does NTFS already) we'll be in good shape as soon as the micro 128ers come out. i see no reason why, in this state the samsung galaxy s3 phone cant use a 2tb card if it existed, since not only does it have ICS, but exFAT support also.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 5
128GB SDXC cards are full sized cards. Almost all players with a card slot have a micro sized slot. I haven't even seen any players that officially support SDXC. While some have had success using an SDXC card formatted as FAT32, I am leery of doing this.
i hope players with official SDXC support appear soon. I am also hoping for players with 2 or more card slots.

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
I haven't even seen any players that officially support SDXC. While some have had success using an SDXC card formatted as FAT32, I am leery of doing this.
i hope players with official SDXC support appear soon. I am also hoping for players with 2 or more card slots.

the main issue with "official" support is that the standard file format for SDXC is exFAT over FAT32. windows has issues writing to a FAT32 card over 32GB when not in a special SDXC reader.

if we format to NTFS instead it should work in all android ICS and up devices, even though it wont be "official" because its not exFAT. 

so, it really shouldnt be too long before we can realistically start using these SDXC cards on dedicated players instead of just phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back