Are all of you iPod lovers converts or what??
Dec 30, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #107 of 115
they mean that they want to be able to drag and drop songs to it through Explorer rather than having to open a separate program. it would be great of Apple and most other companies to atleast have that as a option

Dec 30, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #108 of 115
Being an ex h120 owner I would have agreed, but the way in which windows files albums/songs and the ability to edit tags compared to that of itunes is poles apart. it is better all round in itunes. If someone would have said this to me a year ago I would have laughed!

Dec 30, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #109 of 115
don't really like iTunes much myself.

though, I did just order a iPod nano, because I needed a flash player and also because Rockbox is being worked on for it now. so that isn't really "converting" is it...

Dec 30, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #110 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Fella
Being an ex h120 owner I would have agreed, but the way in which windows files albums/songs and the ability to edit tags compared to that of itunes is poles apart. it is better all round in itunes. If someone would have said this to me a year ago I would have laughed!

Well its different. Using iTunes you HAVE to manage your tags. With a file/folder nav on a iRiver/Cowon you don't HAVE to do this. That said you have to manage tags with Creative players and Sony's. But you have a wider choice of apps you can use with the creative at least.. While I can use "drag and drop" with my Zen. I choose to use Nomad explorer. It just works so well.

There are few apps which try to manage both the file structure AND the tags. One that does is Media Monkey. Though I haven't really found any one app that I use exclusively. I tend to switch from iTunes, to Windows Explorer and the other apps I've mentioned.

Jan 3, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #112 of 115
I've owned Creative and iRiver devices and I vastly prefer the iPod. Simple managment of my music. One click podcasts. I can take my Audible content wherever I go. Lots of accessories on the market. Combined with Shure E4c and my cmoy, the sound is excellent to my ears.

They keep getting better, but my 3G and Nano will suffice for now.

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:16 AM Post #113 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
Well its different. Using iTunes you HAVE to manage your tags. With a file/folder nav on a iRiver/Cowon you don't HAVE to do this.

Explain please. Why do you have to manage tags with iTunes? You could use iTunes just like a file browser. You can even set up folders and subfolders now. Tags make it easier to manage your library, but there's nothing that forces you to do anything with them that you wouldn't have to do anyway in a file/folder nav system.

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #114 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by yyoo
Explain please. Why do you have to manage tags with iTunes? You could use iTunes just like a file browser. You can even set up folders and subfolders now. Tags make it easier to manage your library, but there's nothing that forces you to do anything with them that you wouldn't have to do anyway in a file/folder nav system.

iTunes only sees and organise files by tags. Not folder name, location or filename. If want to organise my files into folders other than by artist, iTunes can't do that. If I want to move my Hendrix files on the hard disk from my "Pop" folder to "Rock" folder I can't do that in iTunes either. I might have a folder for CD albums, another for singles, and another for recordings. iTunes can do nothing with those folders on the hard disk.

Its a limitation thats not just in iTunes. Its the same with anything that just uses tags. Ideally you want you filenames/folders in sync with the tags. You might even want to tag your files based on their folder location. For example you might want to know do you have any Rock tags in your Blues folder.

I find Media Monkey more useful in this respect. As you can display both info topographies at the same time, and see where they differ. I like iTunes, but its not perfect.

Jan 3, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #115 of 115
The one thing that really bugged me about iTunes is that Album Artist overrides Artist where present, which was a nightmare until I realised what was going on, which was about 360 days after getting my iPod (I had been using Anapod up to then with no problems).
I used Tag & Rename to copy Artist=>Album Artist on all (17000) tracks in my Media folder and did the same with my iPod mounted as a drive.
Then I fired up iTunes and hurrah! Worked perfectly.
And now it "works" I think iTunes is a brilliant application.
I just have to remember to use Tag & Rename to copy Artist=>Album Artist on a rip as Audiograbber doesn't populate the Album Artist field.
I keep it organised as \Media\Artist\Album\01 - trackname.mp3
<Ducks out of further discussion comparing tag nav=>folder nav>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back