Are all of these "audio lies" generally true?
Sep 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you guys are all using Radio Shack cables in your set ups?

Yup (well, actually, I use Monoprice).

Funny (well, not really) story: A few years ago, when Mikhail had some semblance of morals and ethics, I stopped by his shop to demo a $15,000 headphone amp. As some of you know, Mikhail also sold very expensive cables. The interconnects he was using to connect the CD Player to the amp: radio shack. I know this proves nothing (maybe he was trying to prove that the amp sounds amazing even with the worst cables in the world), but I always thought that was interesting.

Sep 28, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny (well, not really) story: A few years ago, when Mikhail had some semblance of morals and ethics, I stopped by his shop to demo a $15,000 headphone amp. As some of you know, Mikhail also sold very expensive cables. The interconnects he was using to connect the CD Player to the amp: radio shack. I know this proves nothing (maybe he was trying to prove that the amp sounds amazing even with the worst cables in the world), but I always thought that was interesting.

The amp was probably Radio Shack on the inside, too.

Sep 28, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #19 of 58
Quote:

Absolutely. Also, I will echo some of the statements above re: tubes. I think the audiocritic should acknowledge that the distortion introduced by tubes can be quite mellifluous.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #20 of 58
Quote:

X2. I always loved that arguments.. PC are not made the same. Like everything, some are made better, others worse..

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny (well, not really) story: A few years ago, when Mikhail had some semblance of morals and ethics, I stopped by his shop to demo a $15,000 headphone amp.

What amp was that?

k

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #22 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Last line in article
In the end, every culture gets exactly what it deserves.

All too true, in my opinion.

Nice enough article, although doesn't entirely do justice to a few of the items.

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #23 of 58
Articles like these are entertainment for me. If you don't know where you stand on the points, it is a little eye opening reading this guys opinions? This article is almost 10 years old so to me it is irrelevant today.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #24 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Articles like these are entertainment for me. If you don't know where you stand on the points, it is a little eye opening reading this guys opinions? This article is almost 10 years old so to me it is irrelevant today.

His arguments are just as true now as they were back then.

From the perspective of this subsection of the forum, most of his arguments are entirely true versus true with an asterisk for tubes and vinyl. There's nothing wrong with SS. I have been around plenty of 30 year old SS gear that works perfectly fine, and the only real reason to go with tubes is (a) you like the distortion (there's nothing wrong with that - audio is subjective) or (b) you like the look and feel.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #25 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only real reason to go with tubes is (a) you like the distortion...

Compared without feedback, a single triode when loaded by a high impedance has lower distortion than a single transistor. The 6DJ8 example in the paper has its load trimmed to attain a gain of x10. Theoretically the distortion can get down in the ppm level with higher load impedance like a CCS.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~musiclab...er-acrobat.pdf

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #26 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compared without feedback, a single triode when loaded by a high impedance has lower distortion than a single transistor. The 6DJ8 example in the paper has its load trimmed to attain a gain of x10. Theoretically the distortion can get down in the ppm level with higher load impedance like a CCS.

Quite so.

And many solid state amps out there achieve their low distortion not due to any inherent superiority of solid state devices when it comes to linearity, but rather by throwing a ****load of parts at the problem and then wrapping the whole mess in a lot of global feedback.

k

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #27 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
His arguments are just as true now as they were back then.

From the perspective of this subsection of the forum, most of his arguments are entirely true versus true with an asterisk for tubes and vinyl. There's nothing wrong with SS. I have been around plenty of 30 year old SS gear that works perfectly fine, and the only real reason to go with tubes is (a) you like the distortion (there's nothing wrong with that - audio is subjective) or (b) you like the look and feel.

THD tells nothing about what's audible and what isn't.

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #28 of 58
I also used to use Radio Shack cables and a mess of others I got for free or for a buck out of a bin at a swapmeet.

I switched to Blue Jeans only because I wanted my cables to all look the same. Aesthetically, matching cables improved my enjoyment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #29 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also used to use Radio Shack cables and a mess of others I got for free or for a buck out of a bin at a swapmeet.

I switched to Blue Jeans only because I wanted my cables to all look the same. Aesthetically, matching cables improved my enjoyment.
smily_headphones1.gif

The truth about cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back