Are 600/580s neutral?
Jul 30, 2002 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Well, I've been thinking. As I look back a month to the Pittsburgh WOH tour stop, I realized something. I hate everything that doesn't have 580 or 600 in the name.

At the stop, I found Grado's VERY bright. Not my cup of tea. The AKG 501s? Nope. I think they were too shy <gulp> on the bass. The Beyers? They sounded so tinny. All of them expect the 250s, that is. The RS1s? I didn't like those either. I DID like the ety er6/er4 though. . . and I love my ksc-35s.

But I kept on going back to that sennheiser sound. The 580s and 600s. I've spent about a year now with my 580s. Have they changed the way I listen to music? Am I used to the sennheiser sound? Or am I just screwed up?

Jul 30, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 43
all statements below reflect my opinion, and i don't care if you disagree so don't bother posting about it:

580/600 are coloured with the stock cable. with the cardas cable they really open up and aren't quite as colored, but are still a little dark (i love darker sound).

rs-1's are not bright. they are quite close to being neutral and i love them.

ety er-4s are neutral. period.

there is nothing wrong with "liking the sennheiser sound" and being used to it. everybody likes different sound and although you may find this shocking, a lot of other people in the world like the sennheiser sound as well.
wink.gif

i really wish i had the ability to just like the hd600 with everything.. then i could sell all of my stuff and get some money to upgrade my source.

Jul 30, 2002 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 43
FIRE IN THE HOLE!!

Jul 30, 2002 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 43
andrzejpw
HI: You are just fine. You are just use to quality sound thats all. I whent to the headroom show and listened to all the highend stuff and was not impressed. I have the 580s and equniox cable and dont need to upgrade my headphones. A lot of the cans that you mentioned didnot sound all that good to me either. I use my 580s out of my stereo receiver and get great sound right from my headphone jack. Amazing. I am selling my supreme amp because I get better sound from my 500 watt 5.1 receiver jack. I know many would dissagree with this and buy exspensive home amps. Now if the deacated supreme was so great why am I selling it. I dont need money but the convenice of just pluging into my receiver and listening to all the free music channels is really great. I have satalite and lots of free music 24 hours a day. With my supreme amp I could only listen to my cd deck which ment I have to keep buying cds. For me the 580s and equniox are the very best sound that I ever heard or owned.

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 43
the 580's are anything but neutral

Jul 30, 2002 at 8:11 PM Post #6 of 43
The Ety 4S sets the standard for neutrality, at least among everything I've heard. Nothing wrong w/ liking the Sennheiser sound, though.

Jul 30, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 43
I am not saying that the senns are neutral. I am asking if they are colored. Basically, is this something that I'm used to? Say I bought grados. Will I not like grado's for the rest of my life? Or will I gradually get used to the sound?

Jul 30, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #8 of 43
With me it's just the opposite. I've been listening to AKG501 for over a year now and the only other cans I liked at the show were the AKG1000 and the Stax.

I was pretty much turned off by the Senns.

I think if you listen to only one set of phones for too long you get brainswashed by the sound and if you listen for a couple of minutes to something else you think it doesn't sound as good although it probably does, you just have to get used to it.

Probably I should get some used 580s and try them for a month or so. It seems everybody likes the Senns and so many people can't be wrong.
Althoug I've heard that the Etys 4P/S sound somewhere in the middle between AKG501 and the Senns and I prefer the AKGs to my Etys.

Jul 30, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 43
That's exactly what I mean jopi! I mean, the beyer 831s, to me sounded HORRIBLE. But I'm guessing if I had them for a month, something would change. I mean, a lot of people like them!

Jul 30, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #10 of 43
Just look at me...

I've loved, hated, liked, detested, tolerated... etc the HD580s since i've had them... but, adding a META42 to the equation has made me (for now at least) once again love the HD580s... there is a certain amount of magic there that I just can't explain...
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 8:43 PM Post #12 of 43
Yup, you could say that
wink.gif

The Meta has shown me just how good the bass can be on the Senns, and has made everything a LOT clearer...

Arguably I think the Senns are better sounding through the Meta than my ER4Ps are through ANY source...

I'm going to have to get a fixup cable to hear the ETYs at their best I think
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 43
All headphones are colored, none are accurate and only neutral in terms of a seemingly flat frequency response to certain ears.

Jul 31, 2002 at 12:50 AM Post #15 of 43
I have the TAH and 600's. I tried them with the Little loaner for a month and they seemed to open up in comparison to what I was accustomed to. I then went to the Headroom show and tried them with a variety of amps and cables. I feel that the 600’s come into their own with a Cosmic and Cardas cables. These headphones have a lot to give but they really need proper amplification and new cables to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back