Are 320kbps MP3's worthy of a setup worth $600+?
Feb 9, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #46 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would respond with a "NO"
But you didn't put it.
If i was you, i deleted all mp3's and started to listen some lossless music (Flac, Ape, WAV)

Why'd you sell your boa, btw what amp would you recommend me for just portable IEM use :) i dont need DAC necesarilly

Feb 9, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #47 of 58
Most probably yes.
But in the end its all up to you to decide if there are an audible difference between 320kbps MP3's and the lossless source (ex. CD).

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to concur with what vcoheda says ...

Even though I have mentioned that it's hard to tell the difference between a well encoded 320kbs MP3 and it's FLAC/WAV source ...

The difference is still there and noticeable ...

But only to those of us who spend about 60 hours a weekend listening to our rigs ...

wink.gif

Hmm I just noticed we like the same headphones.

Feb 9, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I just noticed we like the same headphones.

Yeah. Almost mirror rigs ...

I'm new to the Stax but am finding it very fun and easy and enjoyable. A nice compliment to my dynamic rig but def not a replacement ... (I'll most likely get skinned alive for this but this particular Stax rig isn't as purely engaging to me as are my Grado cans ... but then again, no headphone is IMHO ...

Just got some AKG701's in the house this week, too ... a roommates but I'll certainly get to spend a lot of time with them ...

BTW ... back on topic ...

All my cans sound good with 320kbs MP3's ... (carefully encoded) but for poor quality MP3's, I think the worst sounding are the GS1000's then the RS1's and strangely ... I've found the Stax to be the most forgiving in regards to so so quality MP3's ... they just sort of smooth everything out with this really fun sort of 'silkyness' and the poorer encoded stuff doesn't come across so gross as they do with the Grados.

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #50 of 58
yes it is. i haven't come across anyone who's been able to tell the difference between 320kbps MP3 (properly ripped) and Lossless (CD Quality) at more than chance level.

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #51 of 58
$ has a different meaning since the weakening of the £ over the months
tongue.gif

I use Lame encoded 320kbps CBR joint stereo MP3s

Have longed stopped caring about trying hear a difference. I think I found a slither of a wider sound stage and deeper bass on two tracks with lossless ever

As with previous posts, properly well-encoded tracks is the key. I will always forever think of drum taps

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes it is. i haven't come across anyone who's been able to tell the difference between 320kbps MP3 (properly ripped) and Lossless (CD Quality) at more than chance level.

Best answer so far. Couldn't agree more. Co-inventor of MP3 and AAC agrees with you too.

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #54 of 58
I think an important issue is missing in this thread. Imagine in several years time you wish to upgrade your system or copy your 'master' into a different format.

For the price of a few extra MBs surely your initial recording should be to lossless, its a no brainer as your starting point is from the best quality you can possibly have.

I think of it like taking a physical scan of a paper document, you only need 3 or 4 iterations and the quality of your copy reduces exponentially. You can never get back that information you have lost.

If people cared more about the quality of their source data I possibly wouldn't be buying so many poorly mastered CD's today.

Feb 17, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #55 of 58
yup 320cbr is fine, and lossless is lossless unless your source has trouble with a certain type of file (ex.- pcm doesn't sound as good as flac, I remember someone with foobar or winamp had this issue with their setup because the software/driver did not like pcm). Might as well rip your music lossless if you can but 320 is not a huge bottleneck like when people used to rip 128 which is disgusting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back