Arctic Cables Discussion Thread
Oct 21, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #631 of 949
Sneak preview of AC's new Pallas cable with new CuTECH 4.4mm plug ( sub-brand made by a high-end connector manufacturer that produces connectors for some of the higher-end brands...more details soon). Incoming for the Meze 109 Pro....

unnamed.jpg
I've not heard of Cutech before - how do they rank alongside Furutech? I got a Define series recently with Furutech hardware, and it is real nice! It was my first aftermarket cable. I'll post some pics here at some point, at work now and a 15 month old human at home keeps me pretty occupied, lol.

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #632 of 949
I've not heard of Cutech before - how do they rank alongside Furutech? I got a Define series recently with Furutech hardware, and it is real nice! It was my first aftermarket cable. I'll post some pics here at some point, at work now and a 15 month old human at home keeps me pretty occupied, lol.
I should find out soon; I understand the cable is being sent to me early next week. Val recommended the CuTech plug, after I mentioned Furutech and AECO so I would expect it to be on the same level. If I may quite him, "The connector is a CuTECH pure copper 99.9%(min) purity with a 10u 24K gold-plating. (for reference, standard connectors have 1-2u plating)."

Solidarity on the 15 month old. I have a 42 month old, and I'm afraid to say it only gets more intense!

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #633 of 949
Val also highly recommended CuTech to me and said it was far superior to Furutech in their tests.

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #634 of 949
Oct 24, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #635 of 949
Oct 24, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #636 of 949
That one isn't exactly new, been in contact with them about some specs of this cable many months ago

So it has been on the website for a while (mYbe temporarily taken down again?)
Yes. As I mentioned in my previous post. It comes and goes. :sweat_smile:

Nov 3, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #637 of 949
New Pallas cable received for 109 Pro/99 Classics. Impressions to follow, but suffice to say build is everything you'd expect from Arctic Cables: formidable yet nimble. The new CuTech 4.4mm jack is indeed also impressive to the touch.

P1120092.jpgP1120094.jpg

Nov 18, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #638 of 949
I got my Pallas Arctic Cable late last week with the Oyaide connector, wasn't aware of the cuTech when I ordered. These cables are fantastic, extremely good.
First impression is a huge sound stage and superior bass extension and punch everywhere in the frequency spectrum.
As you burn it in more about the 3rd or 4th day
Then you realize that 1: The Bass is very deep and rich not just bloat and properly positioned in the extended Soundstage with enough resolution to let you know what instrument was generating the notes. 2: The Midrange creaminess again not syrupy but rich and textured and fleshed out, not thick but with details providing a more realistic image of the instruments be it violins, voice, violas etc. 3: Definition of acoustic space around each instrument such that the correct harmonic character of the instrument develops, not marred by other instruments, now this is not a clinical sound by Any means, it's just that the cable defines a good enough Soundstage to accommodate each instrument all properly spread out and layered. There is a lot of detail retrieved, the extension in the bass also reveals more detail, orchestral music will benefit a lot from this. 4: The trebles have body and silky especially on the high notes of the Violins...this Cable is a great bargain you may spend very near $3k to outperform or equal this product.
I was listening with my Cayin N8ii Tube mode class A and Single-Ended because the HIFIMAN HE-R10P is tremendously efficient 😉

20221114_122017.jpg

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #639 of 949
I’ve been on a bit of a cable kick lately, really trying everything in the $65-$150 price range to find the winner(s). I’m not really of the mind that well made cables are going to affect sound quality, certainly poor quality will, but if there are not flaws in the design, components, or build then I can’t see the cable choice doing much to affect sound. I am not completely close minded to the idea that they could, but I am skeptical and have not heard any sonic differences between cables myself. I am totally fine spending extra money for something I find aesthetically pleasing and which is more convenient than stock options. What I do like to see is high grade components.

So far Ive purchased from Hart, Audiophile Ninja, Fog City, Arctic, Forza, Norne and someone from East Asia via Etsy whose name escapes me. If customization meant nothing to me I would probably buy from Audiophile Ninja Exclusively, at the price point they provide the highest quality cables, always using Neutrik XX balanced XLR connectors which tends to be a bit hard to find at the sub $100 price range and can ship within 3 days.

Hart offers a bit more convenience and customization, however the quality is a slight step down from Audiophile Ninja, never to the point of an issue, but it is there.

Fog City is a bit of a puzzle as the cable and available options were solid, the turnaround was quick and the price was fair, however when I ordered from them the only closeup picture of a balanced XLR connector was of my preferred Neutrik XX model, however when the cable arrived the connector was an unbranded model which looked very much like the Neutrik connector, but wasn’t, afterwards I looked back through the connector options picture and you’re forced to zoom way in to see that for most models of cable they offer it is not in fact the Neutrik connector but an unbranded model used which seemed a bit disingenuous.

From there Arctic takes things a step higher with far more custom options, however and this is just a personal preference thing, but it annoys me that they don’t offer Neutrik XX balanced XLR’s, only X models with the up charge for the HD from Neutrik or other more premium options from other brands, I went with Amphenol, nothing at all wrong with the connector, I just tend to prefer the Neutrik XX. Still, the cable was high quality and arrived fairly quickly, I’m happy with it. Worth noting that they offer the largest selection of custom options(usually at a premium) for connectors and such.

From there the Forza cables take another step up, however they’re a bit more expensive while also using a different type of cable(litz) rather than the standard offerings from Canare or Mogami, so if you need adapters the you’ll probably want to stick with the same cabling which will come at a premium as well, it isnt a huge premium, none of these are the kilobuck cables that you see available, but I think it’s pretty important to note the increase in price when you’re thinking of the difference between the various aftermarket cables as well as in my case when you’re the type of person who orders many cables to cover my bases on different aesthetics and whatnot.

Finally there is the Norne cable… which I haven’t received yet. Kind of a bummer as every other brand I ordered from blew me away with quick turnaround. As an aside, these are a bit more expensive and the customer service has been top quality. Perhaps I got terribly lucky as far as turnaround so I can’t really say Norne has done a poor job, simply all others arrived before I expected them.

The cable from the individual etsy shop offered similar quality to Audiophile Ninja with a few customization options, however the shipping time rather than the turn around makes me less likely to order consistently.

Like to point out that for certain makers I listed they offer far higher end offerings, I was more focused on my above stated price points, only the Norne came in higher. So take my opinion for what it is: comments on build quality, customization options, value and turnaround time. Also, being more focused on aesthetics and ergonomics I’m unlikely to really dig into truly TOTL. Though there is a thick naked copper twisted cable from Double Helix which is honestly pretty enough that it just might justify the big price tag.

Are you talking about cxnnected on Etsy? Have you tried them? Based on the pictures they seem to be better than Hart. Totally agree regarding Hart with you by the way.

Nov 22, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #640 of 949
I’ve been on a bit of a cable kick lately, really trying everything in the $65-$150 price range to find the winner(s). I’m not really of the mind that well made cables are going to affect sound quality, certainly poor quality will, but if there are not flaws in the design, components, or build then I can’t see the cable choice doing much to affect sound. I am not completely close minded to the idea that they could, but I am skeptical and have not heard any sonic differences between cables myself. I am totally fine spending extra money for something I find aesthetically pleasing and which is more convenient than stock options. What I do like to see is high grade components.

So far Ive purchased from Hart, Audiophile Ninja, Fog City, Arctic, Forza, Norne and someone from East Asia via Etsy whose name escapes me. If customization meant nothing to me I would probably buy from Audiophile Ninja Exclusively, at the price point they provide the highest quality cables, always using Neutrik XX balanced XLR connectors which tends to be a bit hard to find at the sub $100 price range and can ship within 3 days.

Hart offers a bit more convenience and customization, however the quality is a slight step down from Audiophile Ninja, never to the point of an issue, but it is there.

Fog City is a bit of a puzzle as the cable and available options were solid, the turnaround was quick and the price was fair, however when I ordered from them the only closeup picture of a balanced XLR connector was of my preferred Neutrik XX model, however when the cable arrived the connector was an unbranded model which looked very much like the Neutrik connector, but wasn’t, afterwards I looked back through the connector options picture and you’re forced to zoom way in to see that for most models of cable they offer it is not in fact the Neutrik connector but an unbranded model used which seemed a bit disingenuous.

From there Arctic takes things a step higher with far more custom options, however and this is just a personal preference thing, but it annoys me that they don’t offer Neutrik XX balanced XLR’s, only X models with the up charge for the HD from Neutrik or other more premium options from other brands, I went with Amphenol, nothing at all wrong with the connector, I just tend to prefer the Neutrik XX. Still, the cable was high quality and arrived fairly quickly, I’m happy with it. Worth noting that they offer the largest selection of custom options(usually at a premium) for connectors and such.

From there the Forza cables take another step up, however they’re a bit more expensive while also using a different type of cable(litz) rather than the standard offerings from Canare or Mogami, so if you need adapters the you’ll probably want to stick with the same cabling which will come at a premium as well, it isnt a huge premium, none of these are the kilobuck cables that you see available, but I think it’s pretty important to note the increase in price when you’re thinking of the difference between the various aftermarket cables as well as in my case when you’re the type of person who orders many cables to cover my bases on different aesthetics and whatnot.

Finally there is the Norne cable… which I haven’t received yet. Kind of a bummer as every other brand I ordered from blew me away with quick turnaround. As an aside, these are a bit more expensive and the customer service has been top quality. Perhaps I got terribly lucky as far as turnaround so I can’t really say Norne has done a poor job, simply all others arrived before I expected them.

The cable from the individual etsy shop offered similar quality to Audiophile Ninja with a few customization options, however the shipping time rather than the turn around makes me less likely to order consistently.

Like to point out that for certain makers I listed they offer far higher end offerings, I was more focused on my above stated price points, only the Norne came in higher. So take my opinion for what it is: comments on build quality, customization options, value and turnaround time. Also, being more focused on aesthetics and ergonomics I’m unlikely to really dig into truly TOTL. Though there is a thick naked copper twisted cable from Double Helix which is honestly pretty enough that it just might justify the big price tag.
Patrick@FogCityAudio here.

My apologies, as I had no intent to mislead anyone in regards to the connector used.

I stock both Neutrik and unbranded XLR connectors. I would use Neutrik if requested.
Enough people have requested it, so I now (as of approx. 10/1/22) exclusively use Neutrik NC4MXX-B when a male 4 pin XLR is ordered.
I am in the process of transitioning to Neutrik for female 4 Pin as well as M/F 3 pin connectors.

I also stock REAN, Amphenol, and Switchcraft parts to be used when requested.
I personally prefer the unbranded versions of many that I have chosen after extensive comparison testing.

I am happy to discuss a custom build of pretty much any type of cable.
Your one off request could become my next most popular product.
Customer requests have often shaped my product lineup.

Examples:
  • Cables built with thicker 22AWG Mogami
  • Cables built with Cardas Audio Pure Copper Litz
  • Speaker amp banana plug to female 4 Pin XLR
  • Adaptor for all types of amps and portable players
P.S. JayDM, thanks for the detailed write up.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #641 of 949
Patrick@FogCityAudio here.

My apologies, as I had no intent to mislead anyone in regards to the connector used.

I stock both Neutrik and unbranded XLR connectors. I would use Neutrik if requested.
Enough people have requested it, so I now (as of approx. 10/1/22) exclusively use Neutrik NC4MXX-B when a male 4 pin XLR is ordered.
I am in the process of transitioning to Neutrik for female 4 Pin as well as M/F 3 pin connectors.

I also stock REAN, Amphenol, and Switchcraft parts to be used when requested.
I personally prefer the unbranded versions of many that I have chosen after extensive comparison testing.

I am happy to discuss a custom build of pretty much any type of cable.
Your one off request could become my next most popular product.
Customer requests have often shaped my product lineup.

Examples:
  • Cables built with thicker 22AWG Mogami
  • Speaker amp banana plug to female 4 Pin XLR
  • Adaptor for all types of amps and portable players
P.S. JayDM, thanks for the detailed write up.

Do you have images of your
cables?

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #642 of 949

Attachments

• Cardas Spiral Neutrik.jpg
    Cardas Spiral Neutrik.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #643 of 949
Are you talking about cxnnected on Etsy? Have you tried them? Based on the pictures they seem to be better than Hart. Totally agree regarding Hart with you by the way.
I would say before you spend tons of money on cables make sure you have a really good Source, I mean the DAP, otherwise the really better cables will seem to sound worse because they reveal more of the problems with the Source.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #644 of 949
I would say before you spend tons of money on cables make sure you have a really good Source, I mean the DAP, otherwise the really better cables will seem to sound worse because they reveal more of the problems with the Source.

I ned to update a few cables for convenience. Stock Senns HD660 cable has to go for sure...

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #645 of 949
Hello all, I had the chance to review the new AC's Pallas cable paired with the 109 Pro recently. You can find my set of impressions over at Audio Rabbit Hole here.

front.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back