Archos Sound Quality?
Nov 29, 2008 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Carmantom

1000+ Head-Fier
I am considering a new Archos 5 Media Tablet (player), especially since it now supports FLAC files.

I am hesitant because I have heard Archos has not been very good regarding sound quality. I have heard that the new 5 and 7 Tablet series are better.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences about this?

As always thanks in advance. Tom

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 8
I have one and tried it with super.fi 5 & k701. Of course does not provide enough juice for the k701 so it sounds flat (and saturated on the last 15% of the volume) but it's really good with the UE.
I'd rank it #1 in comparison of my zune 80 (not even mentionning ipod) but be aware SQ is pretty much the same.

Nov 29, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one and tried it with super.fi 5 & k701. Of course does not provide enough juice for the k701 so it sounds flat (and saturated on the last 15% of the volume) but it's really good with the UE.
I'd rank it #1 in comparison of my zune 80 (not even mentionning ipod) but be aware SQ is pretty much the same.

That refreshing to hear, since I have a vast library of flac files and was looking for a large storage player. I know the music files will be very good(lossless) and I like my X10. I imagine it could make for a winning combo.

I'd sure like other opinions if there are any?

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 8
so here i am writing this on my archos 5 and listening to some flac patricia barber (at the same time on my couch). i've had it for all of 3 days now, and unamped out of the box, it's definately better than the ipod vido it replaced. Hard to tell now (i sold the ipod) but it's still close to it rockboxed. I'm getting more hiss with my little dot micro than i remember with the ipod. Unamped, it sounds just fine. no hiss, blacks are black. this is with my shure e2's, volume is low. would need an amp to drive something bigger, or go loud. but i don,t so it works for me. and hey, movies are amazing, internet, pdf reader for ebooks, and 250 gigs. my wired remote is on the way to control it from my pocket, and off i go. might have to look into a better amp now.....
beyersmile.png

Aug 21, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by alcyst /img/forum/go_quote.gif

no. the OS doesnt support the interface whatsoever (and its nothing to do with driverless dacs)

@OP - i have the archos 7 IMT, i bought it solely for video, but the sound is passable, fine for portable use, flacs play without problem and sound pretty good. maybe better SQ than most people would give credit to archos?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back