Archos 604 amp thoughts & recommendations
Nov 19, 2006 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Spiricore

Head-Fier
Before I start I must admit that I'm completely new to the audio realm. I've been doing research for about a week with an additional 10 hours today and feel I'm starting to grasp most basic concepts and equipment...but I've certainly got a ways to go.
280smile.gif

I've got my Archos 604 arriving on Monday and have been reading up on it quite a bit. I'm also in the market for either some beyer 770s or A-T A900s here pretty quick and have been trying to figure out the best course of action for powering one of these beasts.

So far I've been hearing a majority of good things about the M Hornet and the SuperMacro VI but their price tag makes me a little nervous after dealing with cables and what-not. I realize the largest problem for me is going to be connecting to the Archos, as it only has a 3.5 mm stereo jack without plugging it into the huge ass dock that supplies it with a variety of other audio/video connections.

So I suppose my main question is...how much of an improvement can I expect if I buy an amp, and does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should buy/save for?

Note: I definitely dont want to be spending more than $400 after all is said and done.
Note 2: I plan on using it for music (metal, industrial, rock, indie) and movies equally.

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 9
do you mean beyerdynamic dt770's? or is there anotehr sennheiser model you're refering to?

Nov 19, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 9
Whoops, yeah. Been a long day with a lot of numbers.
blink.gif

Nov 19, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 9
Spiricore...That's a pretty big dock the Archos has...Good Heavens, it looks like a full size amp
cool.gif
...Being that big, the possibilities are huge.....I would use it as a home setup and get some iems for portable use that really can get away without an amp... For home- get a cheap DAC (203.2) and if you want the Hornet that puts you @ $400.00.

Run an RCA to Mini (DAC to Hornet) and a nice coax from DAC to Archos and you will be all set.

The headphone out of the Archos alone to an amp is not good at all. If you're going to spend $350.00 on an amp, might as well put it to the best use possible. IMO

The Beyers need an amp....

Jes

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the reply. And yeah, tell me about it.

I snagged myself a pair of V-moda Vibes last night and am still debating between the ATs and beyers. I realize the beyers need an amp (even the 80ohm version?) but if it's unrealistic to have/need a portable amp with the 604 on the go then I'll grab the ATs.

The dock poses a huge problem for me (and something I completely failed to mention in my original post)- I'm going for portability. I'd like to have a small setup as possible for carrying around in my backpack. I had envisioned carrying around my 604 with a spare battery, headphones and an amp. Dreaming much?

The primary reason I linked the dock was mostly out of curiosity if anyone had/can take(n) the thing apart and somehow utilized the SPDIF function alone into a small unit so you could just use that instead of the whole damn dock. I don't see myself using it for much else than that.

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

As for the home setup...where would you suggest I get the cables from? That's a whole other beast I have yet to dabble in, but a head start would certainly be helpful.

Blue Jeans Cable http://www.bluejeanscable.com/...Their service is great.....

For my mini to RCA I got them here http://www.impactacoustics.com/produ...ebros&keyword=

You have great possibilities with that tank of a dock...It just depends where you want to go with it...

Jes

Nov 19, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 9
You could always request a custom dock/cable perhaps from a DIY person. I'd email the guy from ALO or something and ask him if you supplied an extra dock, if he could use the proprietary connector to make you a line out or something. This way you could hook up your amp or even DAC/amp combo to your 604 and actually benefit from it. If not, definitely get some IEM's or KSC-75's and be done (for now!) with your portable rig.

As for a home setup, unless you're looking to mod the 770's or at least play games with them, are you sure these are the cans for you? I thought the 770's were more for trance and stuff that had sweeping bass lines and what not. For metal, rock and indie, I'd suggest one of the cheaper Grado's (pronounced "grey-do"
wink.gif
) such as the SR80 or SR125. These will be more up your ally, imo.

Good luck.

Nov 19, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the links HeatFan12, I'm checking them out now.

Finding a DIY person to manage the job is certainly an interesting proposition. Now, instead of researching equipment, I'm going to have to start researching members to figure out who is up to the task!
580smile.gif
Since I've never tried IEMs before (and have horror stories about earbuds when I was younger), I figured the $100 V-moda Vibes would be a good start to see if I can handle the little buggers in my ears.

I had picked out the 770s because I'm also spending a lot of time (read: 8-14 hours a day) sound editing/designing and was hoping to not have to buy a seperate pair of headphones for casual and professional use. I just don't have the cash. It's been extremely difficult finding a balance between the two. I'll be sure to check out the SR80 and SR125s, thanks for the recommendation.

Nov 19, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 9
Well, you'd want a relatively neutral can for professional use would you not? Check out the Sony V6's (or even a DT250???). These might hold you over for your professional use, yet leave you enough cash left over for recreational headphone purposes.

Good luck on finding some1 to make you that custom cable. Keep in mind they'll have to virtually destroy the dock to make it happen. They might actually be able to get away with just cracking the thing open and cutting off all the jack's/plugs except for the few you actually want (line out and/or digital out). Then shrink wrap it all up, and viola, you'll have your custom cable. It will most likely not be of the same caliber as some of the other custom line-outs we see around here, but I'm willing to wager most wouldn't be able to hear that much/any difference.

Once again, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back