Arcam rDac - it's out!
Sep 20, 2010 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
Yup and I finally got mine over the weekend. I thought I'd start a new thread now that it's finally available in the USA. Pics below. I may or may not also write impressions at some point - in fact, I should probably just say now, don't expect any impressions to come from me. Click any pic for a larger version.

The bottom of the rDac btw is some type of rubber polymer. Attracts dust like a magnet! I would recommend adding another level of "height" maybe via rubber feet or something to prevent the bottom from sucking up all the dust from a desk.
wink.gif

Arcam rDac

rDac on top of HeadAmp Gilmore Lite (note how they fit)

HeadAmp Gilmore Lite on top of rDac (probably the better way to stack)

rDac factory box (top)

rDac factory box (back)

rDac factory box (internal view) (accessories include international power jack adapters)

Sep 21, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 25
hey - any listening impressions? and how much did you pay for it?

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:
hey - any listening impressions? and how much did you pay for it?

Not sure how what I paid is relevant because every Arcam dealer has its own policy on discounted pricing, and tax varies by region. The MSRP is $480 if that helps, and most dealers will typically offer somewhere between 10%-15% off.

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 25
hmm - that sounds great pricing, in UK it is 400 gbp which is quite high. Can you pls send me the reference of the dealer?

Please also share your impressions of SQ, and comparisons with other dacs if possible

Oct 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #6 of 25
So how does this sound?  Is it great or so-so?  Giant killer or nice little desk top DAC but that's it?

K

Oct 12, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 25
Hey ASR how about telling us how this sounds.  You are a dealer, correct?

This DAC is really a big mystery.  Cheap by audiophile standards with USB asynch and nobody is talking.  This has been out a while.  Is nobody buying these?  It is really strange that with world-wide-everything there isn't a comprehensive review of this.  Stereophile will probably have one at some point but with them that could be six months out.  No word on 6moons either.

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:
What vendor did you get it from? Are you using an SPDIF/USB converter with it or running straight USB?

Where I bought from won't be relevant to you because Arcam dealers aren't typically allowed to sell outside their territory, and it looks like we live in different states. I got the rDac to use solely via its USB input but haven't done any listening yet.

FYI: Arcam dealers in the USA can be found here: http://www.americanaudiovideo.com/wheretobuy.html

Quote:
Hey ASR how about telling us how this sounds.  You are a dealer, correct?  
This DAC is really a big mystery.  Cheap by audiophile standards with USB asynch and nobody is talking.  This has been out a while.  Is nobody buying these?  It is really strange that with world-wide-everything there isn't a comprehensive review of this.  Stereophile will probably have one at some point but with them that could be six months out.  No word on 6moons either.

I am not a dealer, not sure how you got that idea. I have not listened to the rDac yet as I've had other things to listen to and my time has been otherwise preoccupied lately. I anticipate not listening to it for a while longer as I have other priorities on my listening agenda. However, I'll be setting it up at RMAF (see audiofest.net if the acronym is unfamiliar) where a few other Head-Fiers will be in attendance to provide impressions, and it's likely that I'll also have it at the upcoming 11/20 NYC meet where even more Head-Fiers will be able to listen to it. Also as I mentioned in post #1, I may or may not write my own impressions, not sure yet. That doesn't necessarily mean I won't be contributing anything though - I might be looking into an eventual loaner program for a select few people at some point so other people can write about it. This has yet to be decided though.

I just Google'd "Arcam rDac" and found a couple professional reviews along with a bunch of other user impressions, so I wouldn't call it a big mystery. But considering Arcam's world-wide dealer network I agree that there should be more reviews & impressions by now.

Oct 12, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 25
I don't see any reviews of any substance and nothing current.  I still find it odd given the USB-DAC fever.  

I also find it interesting talking to any dealer who does carry these.  Everyone has been say a bit defensive I ask for any comparison at all to current product competition, big or small.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 25
There is a brief review by What hi-fi, where it earned 5 stars.  See the link below:

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Arcam-rDAC/

Be sure to check out the "your opinion" section, where you can find user reviews.

Oct 14, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #13 of 25
Thanks for the link.  Still no mention of how well it does with high-res files, compares to more expensive units, or using different inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back