Arcam rDac. Does anyone have this for sale in the US yet?
Jul 7, 2010 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Icenine2

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm on board with this one.  DCS tech inside.  The only drawback is it's not balanced (and I'm not even sure that is really an issue here.  Just my prejudice from my audiophile status.  I'm going to get this and the Beyer T1 to go with it.

Keith

Jul 9, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 26
I'm on board.  With the DCS connection I'm voting this will be as good as the Ayre.  If not it will be close and at 1/5 the price.  Granted the audiophile in me would like balanced but I am going to hook this up for direct to my headphone rig and that's it for now.  And the amp isn't balanced either for the phones.  Big rig yes.

K

Jul 10, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 26
I inquired with a local dealer recently who told me the MSRP is actually $480 in the USA, and that the first shipment is expected at the end of July. Definitely planning on getting one to compare with my HeadAmp Pico DAC/amp.

Quote:
I'm on board.  With the DCS connection I'm voting this will be as good as the Ayre.  If not it will be close and at 1/5 the price.  Granted the audiophile in me would like balanced but I am going to hook this up for direct to my headphone rig and that's it for now.  And the amp isn't balanced either for the phones.  Big rig yes.

The rDac and Ayre QB-9 both have asynchronous USB input but that's about all they have in common and your idea that "it will be close" has no factual basis. The QB-9 has several technical advantages over the rDac (parts & implementation) and it also supports 24/96 over USB, which seems to be missing from the rDac. I've also heard that with a new upgrade being offered, the QB-9 can be made to support 24/192. The only other DAC I'm aware of that has async USB and supports at least 24/96, and is cheaper than the QB-9, is the Wyred4Sound DAC-2.

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 26
You can add the two entry level DACS from Wavelength Audio, the Brick ($1750) and the Proton ($900), both are async USB and support 24/96, and are cheaper than the QB-9.  But like Asr said asynchronous USB is only a part of the solution.

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 26
I have no "factual basis" at this point.  The proof will be in the listening and I will go to my local Ayre dealer before I make a final decision.  I still think many of these USB DAC's are way overpriced and they are chargin for their code more than product.  Of course "think" is the key word here since all I'm doing is going on my gut at this point.

Jul 12, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 26
Thanks Mike, I am now as confused or more than before. Yes it sucks being an old fart.

The reason I ask is because I like the sound of the Isabellina DAC by RWA and it is described as going directly to I2S and like async it just is confusing. Will try to read more and learn. Thanks again.

Jul 12, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 26
I'm an old fart too, try Gordons explanation from his website;

http://www.usbdacs.com/Concept/Concept.html

Gordon wrote Streamlength - the code for Wavelength's asynchronous USB.  It's also the code that runs the Ayre's QB-9 Dac and the Halide Design, Bridge USB to SPDIF Converter, I'm not sure who else if anyone, he has licensed it to.

My basic understanding is you are slaving the computer to the DAC.  A firewire interface can operate in a similar manner.

If you plan on using a computer as a transport, it's worth looking into - mine sounds great to me.

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 26
Thanks, I believe I am starting to get it. 
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 26
This DAC does support 24/96.  Yeah I wish it supported 24/192 but hey this is still one fifth the price of the QB-9.

K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back