Arcam Apollo Review
Apr 1, 2006 at 1:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
The May 2006 edition of Hi-Fi Choice magazine has a full review of the new Arcam Apollo CD player for $1000 USD or $500 British pounds. They gave it an overall rating of 91% out of 100%. They also have a mini pamphlet that is 50 pages long that reviews all of the top 50 most influential Hi-Fi components that have changed the industry. Quite bold of those blokes. Go get your magazine.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 14
Actually, the Apollo is a Rega player, and is the replacement for the Planet.

Apr 1, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #4 of 14
Oops. It is a Rega Apollo. They named it the Editor's Choice and Recommended Product for its budget, I think. I don't remember much about the article's breakdown of individual scores. I will re-read the article tomorrow or make a photocopy and I will post the detailed information. Moderator or Administrator: please fix the title to my thread.

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 14
There is a thread in Audiogon regarding the Apollo. Everyone seems to have no doubt it's one of the best in the $1000 range. However a few are reporting software and operation glitches. The poster is on his third unit now. I sold mine a couple weeks ago without even opening the plastic wrapper, never listened to it. I wasn't aware of the abnormalies before I sold it. Hope the unit I sold does not have any problems.
frown.gif

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...7303&read&3&4&

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 14
I just bought one. A black one. It is not broken in yet. But, so far, it is the finest player I have ever listened to. I even like it better than the fine G08 I listened to in Feburary. As most of you gather the G08 is no slouch and quite a performer. I cannot comprehend how they could make the upcomming Saturn any better but I can't wait to hear it. Yess, Welly, I would also be interested in what the article said. My Apollo has no glitches at all. Plays perfect.
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 14
I have made a Xerox copy of the May 2006 Hi-Fi Choice review of the REGA Apollo CD player. They gave it their Hi-Fi Choice Best Buy award. Sound got 88% out of 100%. Features got 80% out of 100%. Built got 85% out of 100%. Value got 94% out of 100%. In a nutshell, PROs include:

"Outstanding sound quality, especially in the higher registers. Makes even difficult CDs accessible. Communicates voices with subtlety, delicacy, and emotional content."

CONs include:
"Bottom end is lighteight and would benefit from more authority. Top loading arrangements require player to be on a rack's top shelf."

Hi-Fi Choice overall score: 91% out of 100%.

I am forbidden from posting the review vertbatim. However, highlights include its top end clarity, superior error correction system, new Sanyo sourced laser and drive mechanism using three spring loaded ball bearings, 24bit dual differential Wolfson D/A chips and a Class A cascode pair analogue output circuit. They say it needs 15 minutes to warm up in order to sound its best.

"Highly recommended"

Paul Messenger wrote the review.

Apr 1, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 14
The Apollo is a sweet cdp at the price. I had one I borrowed for a few days that had about 100 hours on it without a glitch. Its the demo unit at a local store and to this day no problems. It definitely sounds better than it's $1000 price tag. Whether it's a G08 killer I don't know. I was not a big fan of the G08 I had from Todd for 2 weeks. It's a great player, I just didn't think it was worth the price tag (just my opinion).

I think I've become a Naim guy and if I change cdps it would be to move up the Naim line. If not for that, I would have an Apollo. Hopefully, there will be one at the National Meet so some others will have an opportunity to give it a try.

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:43 AM Post #10 of 14
I've had my Apollo for almost 2 weeks now and no problems functionally. It sounds great and I agree with the magazine review saying that it is a great value. I've improved the Apollo's bass response by using an upgraded power cord (ESP Essence). Mids and highs are beautiful and sound is very coherent. I've been listening mostly through my K1000's and some through my HD650's and CD3K's.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Why doesn't that magazine have an online edition? I don't get that.

Why give it away on the net, when they can get $1000 for the magazine?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Why give it away on the net, when they can get $1000 for the magazine?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I wasn't talking about giving it away, they could charge a fee for viewing the current issue. Do they seriously charge that much for a subscription?

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Oops. It is a Rega Apollo. They named it the Editor's Choice and Recommended Product for its budget, I think. I don't remember much about the article's breakdown of individual scores. I will re-read the article tomorrow or make a photocopy and I will post the detailed information. Moderator or Administrator: please fix the title to my thread.

I think you can edit the title yourself. Click on Edit and then click on Go Advanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back