aPureSound SR60's Portable Recable
Jun 16, 2008 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

akki007

100+ Head-Fier
as the title says, I would like a portable cable on my SR60's. Would a recable from apuresound improve the sq?

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 17
Honestly, getting headphones recabled doesn't make that much of a difference.

There is a difference though and it can be heard on higher end systems with higher end headphones.

Your money is best spent getting the best transducer (headphones) you can, then getting the cable upgrades. Per dollar you will notice a higher increase in sound quality from an upgrade in headphones than an upgrade in cable.

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 17
It might, maybe, increase the sound quality. A very small amount.

Certainly not nearly anywhere close to the improvement you'd get upgrading your headphones for the same money.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 17
If you have the cash to burn, and no budget, then do it to show off here (and you would enjoy them more, still). But it's not worth spending that dough on a $70 headphone, IMO. A better project is to use those as your first DIY recable.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 17
Well if you love the 60, why not? I recabled my sr60s (well had 2 cables done for it besides the stock) because I really love the headphones. they still have resale value over on ebay if you are worried.

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you love the 60, why not? I recabled my sr60s (well had 2 cables done for it besides the stock) because I really love the headphones. they still have resale value over on ebay if you are worried.

APureSound charges $200 for a 5ft cable.

That's like 4 times the price of the headphones. It's in no way worth it for the SR60s.

Sell the SR60s, and use that $200 you were going to use for the cable upgrade and get yourself some nicer headphones.

Higher-end Grados or the Denon D2000s would be great unamped. (I resume the OP doesn't have one for his current SR60s.)

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 17
I have a piece of canare star quad that I can just make into a headphone cable that I can send you for like $10. All done and you just have to solder it to your headphones.

For the sr60s, starquad is all you need. No point spending so much on a entry level set of headphones.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
APureSound charges $200 for a 5ft cable.

That's like 4 times the price of the headphones. It's in no way worth it for the SR60s.

Sell the SR60s, and use that $200 you were going to use for the cable upgrade and get yourself some nicer headphones.

Higher-end Grados or the Denon D2000s would be great unamped. (I resume the OP doesn't have one for his current SR60s.)

WRONG!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

You're thinking of the V3 recable, which is obviously the best and most popular of those APS puts out (which explains (and, yes, justifies) the error you made). But the OP requested a portable cable, which APS offers, too (it's not too popular in these parts). A 5ft cable is $90. Still too much for the SR60, IMO. But you're correct, nonetheless, because those $90 could be put toward a better Grado (or Sennheiser
evil_smiley.gif
)

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a piece of canare star quad that I can just make into a headphone cable that I can send you for like $10. All done and you just have to solder it to your headphones.

For the sr60s, starquad is all you need. No point spending so much on a entry level set of headphones.

Dude, I'll take that cable for MY SR60s (seriously, I'll take it).

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #13 of 17
^

Haha... the guy made good points, but just needs to spend more hours obsessively reading every cable manufacturer's site! Next thing you know he's going to misquote the price of the BlackGold option on Headphile, and then I'd have to burn his lawn (hope he reads the members lounge threads
wink.gif
)!

biggrin.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ LOL. Omg I live in San Jose. Stay away from my lawn!

I would like to give you something for free... just let me know your home address.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back