APRIL FOOLS! Astell&Kern AK480 Music Player!
Mar 31, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #91 of 395
Holy smoke...

And if that panel is REALLY 5.5" then just how big is the player? 
eek.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #92 of 395
To be honest I'm not sure. I'm still new to the high end music "hobby". Been buying a few devices, headphones, downloadable albums from different music sites and have subscribed to numerous DAP threads here. I'm guessing I got on some list and I got a PM shortly after posting to this thread. It surprised the hell out of me.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #93 of 395
i own the 120 Titan and I really had to bite the bullet to get myself to pay the money for it...the 240 seemed like a real extravagance to me but this if true seems almost silly...5000 for a DAP?I think perhaps this is an April fools joke?

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #94 of 395
You know what the problem is with this? They stop updating the last unit released every time they come up with a new one. The AK120 STILL doesn't work on USB 3.0 in windows 8 and STILL doesn't support album art for DSD files. Seriously, Astell & Kern...I'm all for innovation, but this is getting ridiculous.

Kojaku

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #96 of 395
Do you still think we need to slap on an external portable amp?
L3000.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #97 of 395
Right, I don't know if there is enough room for a lattice type design....but a custom FPGA desing seems plausible given the femto.

True

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #101 of 395
  I was lucky enough to get a preview listen to this unit while I was in LA at the Iriver offices, and I have to say, I would never have believed that any portable could sound more refined than the AK240, which I though was already better than what I thought possible from a DAP.

Amos, I just thought of something... we saw this on the Friday before the SoCal meet.  Then we saw Jude at the meet Saturday.  Of course, we both know that by the time we know about something, Jude already has one.  My point is, he didn't say a ******* word to me about it.  Did he mention it to you?  Lol, I thought we were all bros!

The specs do qualify  the cost.

+1. For what the specs is, I'm surprised this DAP isn't $10k.

BTW, Uncle Erik's quote in your sig is particularly funny right now.

Do you still think we need to slap on an external portable amp?
L3000.gif

I didn't need to with the AK240, so Ima guess no to this as well.  Depends on what people are trying to drive I guess.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #105 of 395
I have heard the AK rumor / plan from my friend own audio shop , the AK. Want push their new DAP to the price to 5 K on 1 March 2014 .
I tough will be next year
That surprise me that come so fast now
The rumor come true
Bad for me just bought AK 240 3 weeks a go :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back