Appreciating beautiful music out of the stax 2050
Dec 10, 2008 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Its been about a week since Ive had my stax 202/252 combo and although it is not tonally perfect or super dynamic with the budget amp included in the packaged system, they are quite special to me. My hd600s for example do some audiophile tricks better than the stax but what the stax does for me is make me enjoy my music more without analyzing the sound. I never thought these would be so musical since peoples comments have always made me think these bordered on being analytical and cold. They just make the music flow in a seamless and coherent manner that my hd600s can't do. Great value to boot since they are basically the same price as hd600s without the amp. Anyone else have these and able to comment?

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 17
Great to hear that you enjoy the system.
I have not heard the SRS-2050 myself. But auditioned the SRS-2020 a couple of years back, and found it to be really great. Especially considering that its Stax' entry system, and its relative low price tag.

Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 17
When I first bought mine off of eBay I hooked them up to compare to my SR-001 and I was initially put off by the lack of dynamics in comparison. It was like the music was there and it was loud but I just wasn't feeling it. The SR-001 is punchy and warm and I felt the SR-2050 was just warm. After listening to just a few hours and doing comparisons with other headphones my preference began to change and I started to appreciate the SR-2050 more and more. Everything just sounds more lifelike when coming from larger diaphragms, and while the bass isn't punchy it definitely reaches low enough. In my opinion the best way to appreciate a headphone like this is in as quiet a room as possible as it will bring what dynamics there are out.

Compared to my ER4p which people often describe as being analytical I would definitely say that the 2050 system doesn't sound analytical even though in reality it's way more detailed than the ER4p. Everything sounds exactly where it should in respect to how it was recorded. The ER4p brings different parts of the music forward and I believe that translates to detail to some people but the Stax really allow you to listen deeper but then it doesn't force you to.

I definitely know what you're talking about and I really want to hear these powered by different energizers. Some day I'd like to completely upgrade the system but at the same time I'd like to simply hear the SR-202 powered by different energizers first just to have a reference so I know I'm getting my money's worth.

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 17
In usual head-fi tradition, people with energizer/amp recommendations for these should chime in about now
biggrin.gif
I am enjoying them with the stock 252 even though I can hear they are technically limited. I'm afraid that adding a badass amp might drive me back to upgradeitis mode. I know it is a dangerous path when the next step is 02 territory. Don't want to go there
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its been about a week since Ive had my stax 202/252 combo and although it is not tonally perfect or super dynamic with the budget amp included in the packaged system, they are quite special to me. My hd600s for example do some audiophile tricks better than the stax but what the stax does for me is make me enjoy my music more without analyzing the sound. I never thought these would be so musical since peoples comments have always made me think these bordered on being analytical and cold. They just make the music flow in a seamless and coherent manner that my hd600s can't do. Great value to boot since they are basically the same price as hd600s without the amp. Anyone else have these and able to comment?

The 202 is better than any of my other crap. I find the sound they produce to be the most believable/real out of any headphone I've heard. I try my other >$50 headphones out every once in a while, and usually give up on them after a couple of minutes, staying with the Stax. From my experience, dynamic headphones more expensive than ~$50 are a waste of total $ cost minus ~$50. The 202 is a bit overpriced itself, but it is the only headphone >$50 that I don't feel was a waste of money.

Note: The 202 sounds its best at a somewhat higher volume, being more "filled out" and powerful. Be careful not to hurt your hearing, though - I avoid volume levels that would make my ears feel "stuffy" after listening.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 17
It actually likes less volume than my hd600s. Besides, the 252 cant drive them to high volumes. They distort before any sort of rock concert level
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I loved mine and will eventually get another set. The detail, the airiness, the balance (no recessed mid range), decent bass, it was like a symphony of sound.
biggrin.gif

You ever think about trying the KOSS ESP950 instead? After buying my 2050's and then reading about the Koss I think they might be a better buy if you can find a used pair. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Dec 11, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 17
I have had the esp950s before. they were also really good. I remember that when I sold them and got hd580s with a headroom amp, The dynamic cans were a dissapointment after the koss.

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You ever think about trying the KOSS ESP950 instead? After buying my 2050's and then reading about the Koss I think they might be a better buy if you can find a used pair. Plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Good point -- I'll look at the ESP950 when I reenter the stat world. Not sure I'd buy them used, since I doubt that lifetime warranty is transferrable.

Dec 12, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 17
Stax in the Philippines? That must be one expensive rig there!!!

I also have the srm-252 but with the sr-003 and I "think" I prefer them to my hd650+LD mkIII combo (I might be crazy but the hd650 does sound bright to me compared to my stax setup). I'm thinking of selling my hd650 and amp to get a 202 or 303. How do you think the 252 drives the 202?

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Good point -- I'll look at the ESP950 when I reenter the stat world. Not sure I'd buy them used, since I doubt that lifetime warranty is transferrable.

Yeah I guess I just assumed since it's a lifetime warranty that as long as it's broken in a non-abusive manner that it should be fixed even without paperwork. But it's probably not that simple.

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

AFAIK, the warranty is transferable, but I've been wrong before.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #14 of 17
the right question for the lifetime warranty is.... Is it only covered if you have the original receipt? I guess if that is the case then anyone with the receipt can send it to the factory for free repair or replacement. If it doesnt require a receipt, I don't see why it wouldnt be a transferrable warranty. How would Koss know?

oofie810,
My stax 2050 system comes with the 202 and 252. It is good but not great when you speak of power. About the senns being brighter than the stax... My hd600s are also brighter than my 2050
biggrin.gif
They don't have the slightly recessed upper mids of the senns though so some might say they have brighter mids.

Dec 12, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 17
I own a ESP950 and the warrianty is "no questions asked" and the only thing you have to do is send them to a Koss distributor near you or if you live in the USA directy to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back