applications of the ART DI/O?
Jan 14, 2003 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

skoiboy

100+ Head-Fier
Well I'm thinking about picking one of these up but I'm curious of a few things.

First off does anyone have a link to a page or information about the details of what a DAC really does. I think I understand but I've got a lot of questions that I think could be answered with some more info.

Second, I'm curious of all the applications for the ART DI/O...I'm a musician who works with digital audio sometimes, and audiophile who will soon have a kickin home system (after I grad this year and get my own place), and for use with headphones.

I currently own a new Inspiron with an Extigy (which I just made a post about)...But I'm used to listening to my music through it's line out and using the midi port with my keyboard, and the various other ports. It is an 24bit/96khz/100dB SNR soundcard, so I'm wondering if their would be a point to adding another DAC....

Sorry this post is sounding more and more like my previous...but I basically meant it to be a question of all the various applications that I can use the ART DI/O for. Because if I can justify it for more than just headphone listening then I think it would be worth picking up.

Oh! One more question, if it would be worth picking up, is it worth picking up even though I can't afford the $200 extra for the MODS?

Thanks, sorry for the long post!

skoiboy

Jan 14, 2003 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 9
Adding an Art DI/O will definitely improve the sound. But I'm not sure how much you will gain...not because the Extigy is already good, but rather that it is too bad to begin with to really improve on it. The specs that creative provides are always substantially exagerated, not to mention that specs (even if they are accurate) don't really tell the whole story.

On the other hand, you can get the DI/O now, and then add a better source in the future...then DI/O will really do its magic.

Jan 14, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 9
Well the ART DI/O is a DAC and ADC. DAC is for output/listening. ADC is for input/recording. That's pretty much all it does.

The Extigy isn't a real 24/96 khz card. Those figures are just for internal processing. Not all DACs are the same. The one in the ART DI/O is better than the one in the Extigy.

Jan 14, 2003 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Well the ART DI/O is a DAC and ADC. DAC is for output/listening. ADC is for input/recording. That's pretty much all it does.

Actually no. It can also act as a an A/A sound processor, for adding "tube warmth" to a signal and adjusting signal gain, and can add "tube warmth" to a digital signal by converting to analog and back to digital again.

Jan 14, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Actually no. It can also act as a an A/A sound processor, for adding "tube warmth" to a signal and adjusting signal gain, and can add "tube warmth" to a digital signal by converting to analog and back to digital again.

Oh yeah. I forgot about rewiring it like that. I don't use the ADC part at all.

Here's the PDF manual: http://www.artroch.com/product_assets/dioman.pdf

Jan 14, 2003 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 9
well its not good that the extigy resamples even in its digital outs. I guess I'm going to have to stick with it though because correct me if I'm wrong but, now I would need a Sonica(or equal), a converter from optical to the ART DI/O, and then the ART. That's not in price range, especially with a maxed out meta on the way. I guess I'll just use the meta from the extigy...my ears prob won't be able to tell the difference of the ART anyway...

skoiboy

Jan 14, 2003 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 9
I do have an SD2700 dvd player that I guess I could use the art with, but most of the time I listen to mp3's, plus I've never used the dvd player for cd playing before...and I'm not sure I want to use it for that.

Jan 14, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Why not just get a Sonica and that's it? It's relativley cheap. ~$60

Jan 15, 2003 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 9
Ok, one more thing...I just downloaded some new drivers which have the following option. Check it out and let me know if this would create the non-reformated sound that you were talking about...(IAN) THANKS!

Decoder Options:
If you have a software DVD decoder that produces compressed AC-3 S/PDIF signal, you can use your audio device to decode the signal to your speakers.
To use your audio device for Dolby Digital (AC-3) decoding

3Click the AC-3 decode option. To disable the AC-3 decode feature and enable the Pass through (Receiver Required) feature, click the Pass through (Receiver Required) option. The compressed AC-3 or DTS signal will pass through via the Digital Out/Optical Out jack. All other outputs will be muted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back