Apple Warranty and Smoking ...
Nov 22, 2009 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

frozenice

100+ Head-Fier
The Consumerist is reporting that two Mac users were denied AppleCare coverage because the owners were smokers. Not because the computers were damaged by second hand smoke, but because of OSHA regulations.

I guess we'll see how this plays out in court but I'm sure there will plenty of class action lawsuits after that. I'm not against Apple refusing to fix their computers per se, but I am against Apple for selling them computers and Applecare warranties without very clearly spelling out the fact that they wouldn't be honouring their warranties.

Also, invoking the OHSA as an excuse could be opening a very big can of worms not only for Apple but for lots of other companies.

Nov 22, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 46
[flame] Yet another reason to boycott Apple. [/flame]

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 46
They should make this clear in the warranty, but I see where they're coming from. I've had the unfortunate experience of attempting to fix a machine destroyed by cigarette smoke. NEVER AGAIN.

Tar builds up on the heatsinks and chokes the airflow, which leads to overheating and even component failure. Tar can also build up on the surface of the PCBs inside and cause shorts. So not only is it a biohazard in every sense of the word but it's also an obvious case of user induced damage.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Tar builds up on the heatsinks and chokes the airflow, which leads to overheating and even component failure. Tar can also build up on the surface of the PCBs inside and cause shorts. So not only is it a biohazard in every sense of the word but it's also an obvious case of user induced damage.

That's also a great metaphor for the damage in humans.

NK

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 46
This should be an interesting situation for Apple, I also see some lawsuits coming about. Their "geniuses" in the apple store should have to spell that out for people when selling a warranty.

In a similar situation, when I was selling computers for Circuit City, the warranty covered drops, cracks in the screen, and water damage. However, we had to explain to customers that full submersion water damage was not covered, so they couldn't drop it in a pool or bathtub, etc. Apple's warranty, if it actually states that computers owned by smokers will not be fixed, should state so very clearly and be pointed out before the warranty is sold.

Cheers!

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should make this clear in the warranty, but I see where they're coming from. I've had the unfortunate experience of attempting to fix a machine destroyed by cigarette smoke. NEVER AGAIN.

Exactly. If you smoke and get tar all over your motherboard and the computer fails, it is no different if you spill coke over your laptop and kill it. No need for anything extra in the warranty though, as the damage is not the result of a manufacturing defect, it's PEBCAK and customers not willing to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions.

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #8 of 46
I don't know, the apple store over here has bent over backwards to replace ipods or give me very good credit toward brand new models many times. I am actually blown away at the customer service in our local store over here. It lead me to get an apple laptop about two months ago knowing that they so take care of their customers. I was never a mac fan either and still use my pc at home for my main computer, just not portable or for music.

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly. If you smoke and get tar all over your motherboard and the computer fails, it is no different if you spill coke over your laptop and kill it. No need for anything extra in the warranty though, as the damage is not the result of a manufacturing defect, it's PEBCAK and customers not willing to take responsibility for the consequences of their actions.

It looks like they are not refusing to fix it because smoking caused the actual damage but rather they are refusing to fix it because the owner of the computer smoked and has rendered it unsafe to work on (secondhand smoke).

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 46
I love the OSHA comment and many replies about it on the original Consumerist article. Do any of them think Dell or any other company would repair a laptop full of calcium carbonate, cholorine, or sugar? I am no Apple fanboy, but as far as I'm concerned, it's perfectly reasonable to refuse to work on a computer that's been exposed to contaminants. The insides of smokers' computers are absolutely vile.

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #11 of 46
LOL!

The corporate world is seeing how far they can screw the consumer. There is nobody sticking up for us, we are on our own.

Nov 23, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 46
More like the consumer is seeing how far they can screw the company.

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the OSHA comment and many replies about it on the original Consumerist article. Do any of them think Dell or any other company would repair a laptop full of calcium carbonate, cholorine, or sugar? I am no Apple fanboy, but as far as I'm concerned, it's perfectly reasonable to refuse to work on a computer that's been exposed to contaminants. The insides of smokers' computers are absolutely vile.

Agreed. I am not a fan of Apple by any stretch of the imagination, but computers were not designed to run with tar buildup stuck to every surface. Abuse is abuse. Don't like Apple's decision? Stop smoking. Easy as that.

Yes, it should have been in the warranty, but common sense goes a long way as well. If your computer looks like your lungs, then too damn bad when it stops working.

People have been treating their computers like garbage for a long time (rodents nesting, absurd dust buildup, etc), and I am glad that Apple is taking a stand. Maybe now, people will treat their stuff with more care if they know if it will be a deciding factor when service is needed.

Nov 23, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Based on the claims on the Consumerist, Apple isn't denying repair service due to abuse, which would be well within their rights. Rather, they're denying claims based on specious claims about OSHA regulations and biohazards. Unless Apple is already woefully negligent in providing PPE to their employees, there are no issues that would run afoul of OSHA standards when dealing with computers with smoke residue on them.

Nov 23, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[flame] Yet another reason to boycott Apple. [/flame]

What are the other reasons. I've forgotton.

More freedom hating, tree hugging, left wing liberals telling us how to live our lives.

Luckily I have a PC running Ubuntu. Now if only i could get the sound to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back