Apple USB-C to 3.5mm adapter
Nov 25, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #17 of 32
Anybody know if they make a cable like this, lightning to 3.5 mm male? Short like the one that comes with the phones, or used too.
Tia.

do you mean the same but with a longer cable or a different brand that has lightning?

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #19 of 32
I don't think apple makes them, I don't know any to recommend

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 32
Actually, they seem to do one now (in black no less)

Lightning to 3.5mm Audio Cable (1.2m)

https://store.apple.com/au/xc/product/MR2C2FE/A
1587524490428.png

Aug 10, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #21 of 32
I am using this apple dongle with a Kano kids tablet (cheapest laptop at best buy I could find during the days of this human malware as a music server) to my Yamaha SR 202 stereo receiver. I am using musicbee as my player. I also have a One TB WD portable ( my library on it) drive hooked up to Kano laptop. I loaded the Alexa app on it, and I am currently using a hacked amazon 10HD tablet ( to install the Google Play Store), casting amazon musie HD, and installing the musicbee remote app on the tablet. All playing thru Sony CS5 speakers. Now, I am a ancient member here haven't posted in years, and have bought several amps, DAC, even the old SACD players in my day, but to my old ears(60 years young) this is probaby the cheapest and best solution out there. Does it do crazy out HZ or bit rates no, but even casting amazon HD music it sounds great! at 24 Bits. 48000HZ it is way better than spending hundreds of dollars for audio equipment today(I guess everybody staying at home has increased demand) . Now you young folks here still have ultra golden ears, but to me this sounds amazing. Oh almost forgot. I bought a gender changer USB C female to USB male, to hook up the apple dongle to the Kano laptop's regular USB port.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #22 of 32
Probably the wrong thread, but I’m looking for lightning to 3.5mm male about 4” long.

I am using a JSAUX and a UGreen Lighting to 3.5mm DAC Dongle. They both perform better than the Apple version. I got them them both from Amazon.

JSAUX Headphone Adapter for iPhone,【Apple MFi Certified】Lightning to 3.5mm Female Headphone Jack Adapter Apple Earphones Adapter 3.5mm Jack Dongle Compatible with iPhone 7 8 11 X XR XS Max SE -Red https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086MKLBWW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_GRzmFb5WJ2QDZ

UGREEN Headphones Adapter for iPhone, [MFi Certified] Braided Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter iPhone Earphone Adaptor 3.5mm Dongle Compatible with iPhone 7 7P 8 8P X XR XS Max 11 Pro SE 2020 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q6K37BD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ZSzmFb382PQ4G

393D4125-A881-44A0-B449-BF4142A3EE2B.jpeg
CA574391-61D8-48E2-B1CE-0FAE178F7442.jpeg

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #23 of 32
looking at pc properties, today I noticed "Signal Enhancements"

eM1FL9H.png

as you can see it says it allows "extra signal processing" by the audio device

a simple A/B testing seems like it makes the sound more seem less stereo, less separation between left and right

this was tested probably on a mono video from youtube

I have windows 10 pro, I don't remember seeing the option before, but mostly I just change the sample rate and bit rate, according to the music (just because, no real reason)

does anyone know if apple has stated that it has any "extra signal processing"?

I would assume that it's probably some added crossfeed.

May 28, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #24 of 32
Apple Dongle Forever! The Ancestor audio dongle alongside Meizu Hifi and Tempotec's HD Pro!

Jun 1, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #25 of 32
I would assume that it's probably some added crossfeed.
still weird how it disappeared shortly after like apple sent a secret update to erase it from peoples USB dac's

Aug 20, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #26 of 32
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35mm-headphone-jack-adapter

Anyone tried this DAC? Only $10 and is supposed to output 1V which is sufficient to drive even high impedance cans. I am surprised it is only $10 :astonished:
I have two Apple DAC's, a lightning jack for iphone and a USB-C for iPad Pro. Both work fine but sound is weak, not hi-fi quality. Sound quality is same as using Bluetooth, no better. As this is head-fi.org, I hope we can compare all headphone options to top end audiophile headphone solutions, some of which use vacuum tubes for maximum sound quality. I'm not interested in vacuum tube headphone amps but use them as a reference for quality. Dongles have two distinct elements that effect sound quality: the DAC and the Amp. A futuristic best-case solution would include an excellent DAC paired with a high power headphone amp with a perfect impedance match. For the distant future, we could discuss headphones that have multiple speakers for each ear - a complete surround sound system for material recorded in DTS HD or Dolby Digital.

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #27 of 32
https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35mm-headphone-jack-adapter

Anyone tried this DAC? Only $10 and is supposed to output 1V which is sufficient to drive even high impedance cans. I am surprised it is only $10 :astonished:
Nope. While 1V is the peak maximum, it is not an RMS continuous maximum. Realistically, it only outputs about 8 mW with 32-Ohm headphones. That's only 500 mV RMS. And even 1V is equivalent to only 31 mW into 32 Ohms. And considering that most high-impedance cans require much greater than 1V just to attain a satisfactorily high listening volume level, this dongle won't cut it.

For some strange reason the Ligntning-to-3.5 adapter from Apple is much closer (RMS voltage/power-wise) to the claimed 1V maximum than the USB-C to 3.5 adapter is.

And the Apple dongles are, surprisingly, better suited for medium-impedance (50 to 150 Ohms)/high-sensitivity headphones than low- or high-impedance headphones of any sensitivity level.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #28 of 32
If you own low impendance cans and iPhone/iPad Apple dongle is good choice, it also measures good.
With Grado Hemps i got more than enough loud listening levels.

And sound is pretty darn good.

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #30 of 32
All the Apple headphone dongles sound very weak with my Sennheiser headphones. My oscilloscope shows clipping starts at half volume. I can say from my own design experience with op-amps that a tiny microscopic op-amp chip running on 5 volts won‘t ever be audiophile quality. I like the convenience of the tiny dongles from Apple for podcasts but never for music. I could definitely design and would prefer something that sounds more like the vacuum tube headphone amps but in a portable form factor. I can imagine something powered by 3 Li-on cells for 10+ volts to work with. Probably still use an op-amp (bigger one) but I could be convinced to try something with discrete Mosfets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back