Apple tv 3
Apr 2, 2012 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

maxsayer

100+ Head-Fier
If I use the optical out to get a digital signal and a separate dac, would this be a decent source? And will I have the option to download my iTunes library not just stream it?

Apr 3, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 11
I heard its good for the money, depends on what quality your music is encoded in as well.

http://www.pavtube.com/guide/apple-tv3-review.html

Unfortunately only comments about the spec rather than the output quality.

hope this helps

Apr 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 11
appletv is streaming-only.  its onboard storage is just for the os and buffering things.  airport express is another option if all you want to use it for is audio ... same price, but no desktop space needed.

May 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 11
Ah so it resamples the signal, mind you I think most AirPlay or web based streaming would be <=48kHz.

Did the original Apple TV output at 96kHz, I've seen rumours but no concrete evidence.

I'm tempted to pick an ATV3 up later this year for AirPlay but not for my audiophile content/setup.

May 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 11
I don't know about Airplay (don't see why it should because it's just a wireless protocol), but streaming to an Airport Express connected to a DAC at 44.1khz goes into the DAC at 44.1khz. It's just the ATVs that exhibit this slightly weird forced upsampling. I have an ATV3 for Airplay, YouTube on my TV, movie trailers etc and it's great for what it does and like you I don't/won't use it for stereo playback.

May 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #11 of 11
I had the original AppleTV and now the latest. They all output 48 khz PCM. I think that was the original DVD audio standard? Now 96khz

The AppleTV does a good job streaming audio from a remote iTunes library. It sounds about the same as an Airport Express, which outputs 44.1 kHz PCM, when connected to my home theater processor. There might be a noticeable difference if I connected the to my two-channel rig.

All-in-all the AppleTV is a fun device that's part of my "Apple iLife"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back