Apple Touch 5G thread.
Jan 9, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #181 of 367
I recently picked up an iPod Touch 32gb and have a question about iTunes. (which i don't use much, I'm usually a drag n drop kid) Most of my library in iTunes atm is 256 AAC however with 32gb storage coming I'm considering converting many of my FLACs to ALAC. How do you guys, or how does iTunes manage the different file formats?

Meaning, many of the 256 AAC albums I have are going to be the same but in ALAC, how does this work please?

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #183 of 367
  from memory ALAC just goes straight on through to the ipod/itunes like AAC.

I have all my files in FLAC and use flacplayer app.

Yes, confirmed. iTunes just handles ALAC like AAC. Will be directly synced with your iPod and played lossless there.

A great converter that is very fast is "tunesify" if you are on a Mac. 

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #184 of 367
from memory ALAC just goes straight on through to the ipod/itunes like AAC.

I have all my files in FLAC and use flacplayer app.

I'm going to try Accudio again but it gave me problems when waking up the screen (crashing). I heard there was a recent update, let's see.

BTW I'm talking about a 4g touch.

Yes, confirmed. iTunes just handles ALAC like AAC. Will be directly synced with your iPod and played lossless there.

A great converter that is very fast is "tunesify" if you are on a Mac. 

So, if the albums just go into the iTunes library (and there's a copy of one album in 256 AAC and ALAC) how will I know which one to sync?

(sorry for the stupid question, I'm not an adapted iTunes user)

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #185 of 367
I'm going to try Accudio again but it gave me problems when waking up the screen (crashing). I heard there was a recent update, let's see.

BTW I'm talking about a 4g touch.
So, if the albums just go into the iTunes library (and there's a copy of one album in 256 AAC and ALAC) how will I know which one to sync?

(sorry for the stupid question, I'm not an adapted iTunes user)

Short: Make a playlist with the ALACs and tell iTunes to sync this playlist only.

One of the cool things in iTunes is the ability to make smart playlists. So you could make a playlist: 
- all files that I imported in the last 90 days
- that are in bitrate higher than 320kps
- limited to the latest 200 songs
- that are the category "classic"

and so on - pretty nifty stuff. In your specific example:

that should enough and then ask iTunes to only sync that playlist and voila you have all artists and albums etc that are in ALAC on your iPod.

Cheers,
K

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #189 of 367
  how is the bluetooth performance for itouch 5? planning to get one to replace my dying nano 5th gen.. 

It works just fine. If you're looking for an Apt-X codec then I don't think you're going to find that in any ios device.

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #190 of 367
Sorry to confuse you further but the lightning to 30 pin adapter HAS a Wolfson DAC built into it (hence the $30 price). So if you use the adapter to connect to an LOD you are bypassing the internal Cirrus Logic DAC for the Wolfson DAC in the adapter.

For me the best sound is to use the headphone out straight to the headphones or IEMs or an interconnect to an amp. That is the set up I currently use in my portable rig as you can note in my signature.

What is used as an "interconnect to an amp"? Will it avoid the Wolfson DAC used in the lightning to 30 pin adapter?

Apr 13, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #191 of 367
What is used as an "interconnect to an amp"? Will it avoid the Wolfson DAC used in the lightning to 30 pin adapter?

I believe he is referring to a 3.5 mm stereo interconnect between the headphone out of the iTouch and an amp. Depending on the amp one might need a 3.5 mm plug at the iTouch and an RCA plug at the amp.

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #193 of 367
I believe he is referring to a 3.5 mm stereo interconnect between the headphone out of the iTouch and an amp. Depending on the amp one might need a 3.5 mm plug at the iTouch and an RCA plug at the amp.

Exactly right. A 3.5mm to 3.5mm interconnect it was I used between my iPod and RSA Ligtning amp.

May 2, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #194 of 367
Anyone else using an (ipod) Touch 5G?

I sold one of my Touch 4Gs and bought  a Touch 5G 64GB.

Currently mostly using it with my Hifi-M8, but it performs quite well on its on as a stand alone player.
I think it performs better than the 4G, with its larger RAM and better chip.
It also seems less fatiguing for me and has more micro details.

Also the UI is super snappy!

Usually I use Flacplayer App on my touch 4G, iphone 4 and  Touch 5G.

Wondering how other users are finding the new Touch 5G.

Regards
Expatinjapan.
I have the same, no better complete package at this price point, plus gorgious looks, specially the stealth grey

May 13, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #195 of 367
Touch 6 G is meant to be coming this fall!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766380/apple-touch-6g

possibly expandable SD card memory, different sizes ala iphone 6.

I also hope for hi-res playback, up to 24 (currently 16/48 without CCK).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back